The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Free Agents (RFA and UFA) for Canucks 2014

Daniel+Henrik2237

Paul Statsny is in a great situation in Denver and its the only team he has ever known. He will have to take a home discount but the chances are overwhelming he stays.

Niskanen will re sign in Pittsburg.

My hope is we go with Markstrom and Lack. Develop our two young goalies. I also think we need to move Edler and Kesler. Moving Tanev would be a mistake unless we got over value back.

Trev won't go for the quick fix and spend all our remaining cap space on one guy long term. Not yet anyway.

I think we'll be pretty quiet on the UFA front actually, and that'll be a good thing. Re-signing Santo is all I see happening.

Hire a new GM. Hire a new and young coach. Get our house in order re: drafting and scouting.

Then start to build this team the good old fashioned way, and really the only way in the salary cap era, and that is by very good drafting and player development along with making astute trades along the way.

This.. bring in some kids.

that being said do you think we will rise fall or maintain next year?

IN all honesty GB

Fall.

I truly think Edler, Kesler and or one of Burrows or Hansen will be gone next year. I think they will be replaced by rookies or random UFA's

And at that point I do not think this team has the depth to do anything but flounder under Tortorella's system as they'll be a 1 line team with the twins and whoever and no defensive depth at all. 1 injury to the forward or defensive core and this team falls apart at that point.

I truly think this is the best chance the team has to start from zero while still maintaining a competitive core. The right trades leaves us so thin we cannot compete next year, but affords us the picks/prospects and chance for a great draft pick in a franchise defining draft by all reports; while still allowing us to move forward immediately following at the start of the 2015/2016 season.

2 off years in over a decade in comparison to literally every other team in canada and 90% of the league....I will take it, if it means we excise the bad contracts and trade up good players for great prospects

Would be quite happy with this but the chances of us actually getting Niskanen are unfortunately small.

We do need a PMD from somewhere though. Maybe a Hansen + Tanev trade...?

I think it is possible we lose Garrison or Edler and a possible trade of Kesler for the vaunted Pouliot has potential. With the Florida youth movement even a Tanev + late pick for Campbell trade is possible if we keep Garrison.

I think it is possible we lose Garrison or Edler and a possible trade of Kesler for the vaunted Pouliot has potential. With the Florida youth movement even a Tanev + late pick for Campbell trade is possible if we keep Garrison.

IMO the likelihood that any of those guys never mind two+ of them actually move are slimmer than Niskanen actually making it to free agency.

The Pens will re-sign Niskanen for sure imo. He has been their best d-man. It's most likely why theyll opt to walk away from Brooks Orpik... whom I think the Canucks should pursue should they move Edler.

I think the Pens will actually be forced to walk away from Niskanen (assuming he tests the free agency market).

Open the first spoiler to read why (tl;dr: the Pens really don't have the cap space to sign him and still ice a full lineup):

Pittsburgh needs to sign their entire bottom-six (plus spares) at forward. This will cost a minimum of $10 million.

They only have around $15 million to spend (and only have 14 guys signed for 2014-15).

Orpik will almost certainly be cheaper than Niskanen. They can probably sign a full roster with Orps retained. But keeping Nisky will likely put them over the cap (barring a trade of a core player), even if they decided to let Orpik walk.

Orpik also provides a measure of size/physicality plus veteran shutdown ability that they really need on their D (as it's currently constructed).

Niskanen is going to be paid more than $6 million AAV on his next deal. The Pens' current structure doesn't allow them to pay that much for any additional single player and still fill out a full roster (especially if they want to have a balanced top-6 D).

Plus, the Pens have already committed to Letang long-term (and they don't appear to be looking to trade him). If they'd moved Letang, I could see them giving Nisky big money and term (since Niskanen has proven he can fill Letang's shoes very wel). But as things stand, unless they trade Letang, they just don't have the space to sign Niskanen and still ice a complete, balanced D corps.

Also, Martin has become a huge part of their D (just look at his usage during these playoffs) and he has only one year left (so they'll probably need to think about re-signing him for 2015-16).

They're going to have to bank on Maata, Despres, and/or Pouliot being ready to play big roles so they can try to work some youth into their future D. But the Pens are in "win now" mode and they're likely to stick with their core vets for the next few seasons (and sprinkle in youth whenever/wherever they can).

With the current roster, they'll have to try to stay contenders with a D built around Martin, Letang, Orpik, Scuderi, Maata, and either another youngster or a veteran 5/6.

Of course, they'd love to keep Niskanen as part of that group (every NHL team would love to make a spot for Nisky in their starting-six). The Penguins just can't afford it.

Niskanen's been rumoured to be on his way out of Pittsburgh for a couple years now (because of cap and roster issues). Unfortunately (for them), it looks like they're finally going to be forced to let him go right at the exact moment when he's starting to reach his full potential.

Their loss is (hopefully) our gain.

Open the second spoiler to read why (tl;dr: this is basically a re-hashing of my previous posts on Niskanen):

I think Niskanen is going to be an impact player of great significance in this league. I really believe he's a potential #1D who's just waiting for the chance to grab that role and run with it.

I'd be happy if the Canucks went "all-out" in trying to sign him (even if this involved making an "overpayment" to secure his services). In a few years, Nisky could easily be a regular part of the annual Norris conversation. I believe he could be that good.

I think he's going to prove himself to be well worth whatever he gets paid.

And (IMHO) he's just about a perfect fit for what this team needs (and has been lacking for quite a while). If Niskanen and Edler were able to partner well together, Nisky has the skillset and tools required to help Edler play to his best ability (and actually make Eddie look like a bargain at $5 million).

If not Edler, Niskanen could be equally well-suited to partner Garrison (and should be able to bring the most out of Garry's tools, including the ability to get full value from that cannon).

Adding Niskanen has the potential to create a significant team-wide improvement on the Canucks, both on the defense and the forward lines, and in nearly all game situations (but especially on the PP and on transition at 5v5).

There are never guarantees when you're adding new players but I believe that Niskanen is the one addition out there with the potential to create the most "fixes" for this team.

I think that a "re-tooling" build around Niskanen, plus a sprinkling of good young players, could re-energize this core and fix many of the systemic issues with this lineup. He has the potential to "flip the switch" for this team more than any coaching change could ever hope to "re-set" this group.

Whatever it costs to become the highest bidder during free agency, I believe Niskanen could more than replay to Vancouver in his returned value to this lineup.

I dont want Halak anywhere near this team. Hiller all of the way. Thats provided Lack is ok with it. Hiller would be one to be inspired to show his former team up.

I think we should worry about getting rid of our dead weight first before handcuffing our team with big Free Agent contracts.

Next is to pay attention to teams that were ever so close to making the playoffs and teams like Tampa and LA tht were/quickly exited from the playoffs.

LA most notably is going to start to make big changes. Much like us, they realize that 2012 is in the past and also their Core guys are aging and recovering from injuries.

Gaborik

Mitchell

Greene

Fraser

are a few notable UFA's and surely wont be re-signed

I see the only untouchables as

Kopitar

Doughty

Quick

Voyanov

Richards nd Carter maybe not so much.

one thing for sure is that nobody has a NTC

Brown, Stoll, Clifford, Williams could all be changed.

Clifford being on the trade block could be the notable one to be moved.

IMO the likelihood that any of those guys never mind two+ of them actually move are slimmer than Niskanen actually making it to free agency.

I think the Pens keeping Niskanen and having a healthy Letang only bodes well for Vancouver in terms of a potential trade partner.

Columbus is giving Pitts all they can handle and more and all of these defensive lapses leading to comebacks only highlights the Pens issues in regards to defensive forwards.

Keeping Niskanen and a healthy Letang means they'd be more inclined to part with a Pouliot and or a Maata. As well having a Kesler coming back could mean they'd also be more inclined to let go of a Bennett.

Niskanen isn't a guy i'd go out of my way to target as I don't see him as mroe than a sturdy top 4, but the Pens keeping him only means well if they're a trade possibility.

Same with Anaheim and Bonino. Bones looks good as a C and has great upside but they still need to consider those D lapses at the F group

I personally hope they keep Niskanen as there are other players I would target as stop gaps and we still have to figure out our RFA situation first.

I personally hope they keep Niskanen as there are other players I would target as stop gaps and we still have to figure out our RFA situation first.

We have a few guys in our system who might become average-good PMD's...stop gap to whom in our system that will be good-great PMD's?

Not much to figure out with our RFA's...

Kassian ~$2.5m, Tanev ~$3m, Schroeder ~$700k and/or traded and Weber ~$700k. Is there something I'm missing?

Santo is number 1. Gaurantee you can snag him at a good price like last time. We know he wants to play here, so he shouldn't be overly expensive. honestly, I think anything under 3 million, which he will probably get, is worth it. After that, the biggest free agent on my list is Paul Stastny. If we were to only make one move this season, and no trades, Paul Statstny would be my move of choice.

Santo is not getting 3 mil for 1/2 as season where he started to dip before his injury. he will get 1.25 for 2 years

We have a few guys in our system who might become average-good PMD's...stop gap to whom in our system that will be good-great PMD's?

Kassian ~$2.5m, Tanev ~$3m, Schroeder ~$700k and/or traded and Weber ~$700k. Is there something I'm missing?

I think Tanev will get slightly higher more like 3.5 his first year, 3.5/4/4. Would be surprised if we resign Schroeds but would be happy if we did, and I think they will resign weber, good depth guy.

I think Tanev will get slightly higher more like 3.5 his first year, 3.5/4/4. Would be surprised if we resign Schroeds but would be happy if we did, and I think they will resign weber, good depth guy.

Maybe on Tanev...depends on the term (though personally I think he gets moved).

We really have little choice on Schroeder, either re-sign him for cheap and hope he becomes a player we can use and/or trade or....?

IN all honesty GB

Fall.

I truly think Edler, Kesler and or one of Burrows or Hansen will be gone next year. I think they will be replaced by rookies or random UFA's

And at that point I do not think this team has the depth to do anything but flounder under Tortorella's system as they'll be a 1 line team with the twins and whoever and no defensive depth at all. 1 injury to the forward or defensive core and this team falls apart at that point.

I truly think this is the best chance the team has to start from zero while still maintaining a competitive core. The right trades leaves us so thin we cannot compete next year, but affords us the picks/prospects and chance for a great draft pick in a franchise defining draft by all reports; while still allowing us to move forward immediately following at the start of the 2015/2016 season.

2 off years in over a decade in comparison to literally every other team in canada and 90% of the league....I will take it, if it means we excise the bad contracts and trade up good players for great prospects

Very good post. I agree.

Team needs to rebuild. Keep the twins, Bieksa and Burrows. Trade everyone else who is willing.

Market the Linden, the twins and Kassian to sell the tickets . Put in an adequate showing in Oct -Dec then TANK hard to try to get into the #1 position.

Very good post. I agree.

Team needs to rebuild. Keep the twins, Bieksa and Burrows. Trade everyone else who is willing.

Market the Linden, the twins and Kassian to sell the tickets . Put in an adequate showing in Oct -Dec then TANK hard to try to get into the #1 position.

Fans will recognize a tank....Trev doesnt wanna get burned at the stake before year one is over

Very good post. I agree.

Using a 22 - 24 year old development timeline I don't know who is retainable. I standby the idea that no one is safe. It is always whoever is kept and how they compliment the timeline. Any vet that is kept is a potential loss by not realizing their value in younger prospects. Their upside is always about how

they mentor younger players. Your keepers above all have great credentials.

Until this season I thought the Twins could transition to a 2nd or even 3rd line duty. What I saw this

year was a even slower version, with d-zone issues, and a question about how well their puck possession

will standup to years 36,37,& 38. I actually always liked Alfie's game better, more consistency.

No no, in fact you're bang on. I only worry about the price our stop gap variables will command.

Halak or Hiller?

Ott, Moulson or Vrbata?

None of them will be cheap.

But factoring in the loss of a Booth, Burrows, edler or Kesler contract and this team is in a very good place.

Or the possibility of bringing in a huge contract cap killer like Campbells for his last year and our breathing room disappears fast and we aren't in such a good place.

Archived