The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Free Agents (RFA and UFA) for Canucks 2014

Daniel+Henrik2237

Because he is the only one you can move and get something back for. Edler said he wont waive NTC. Hamhuis has a NTC and you aren't going to move him (he was voted top nucks Dman last year). Garrison isn't going to be moved has a NTC and probably is at his lowest trade value and Bieksa said he is not waiving and intends to stay here. So with that you need to move Tanev and I agree he is a good dman but if you can bring an asset back like Kane it makes all the sense in the world.

Everything you stated doesn't require you to move Tanev.

im not guessing a WHO the canucks sign. but these are the players im interested in.

stasny

santorelli

setoguchi

niskanen

meszaros

Stasny is going to break the bank so I don't see that being an option.

Niskanen would be nice but he'll likely get $4.0M+ on 3-4 year deal. Too rich for me.

Meszaros I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. He's been pretty bad for years now...

Setoguchi wouldn't be a horrible addition but he will likely get $2.5M from someone. No thanks.

To me, Santorelli is an absolute no brainer. I love everything about the guy and I'm sure Linden does too. $1.5M on a one year deal should get it done. I'd want to see him play a full year before locking him up long term.

Unfortunately Gaborik will get at least $5.5M long term which is more than I'm willing to do.

Markov would be a nice replacement for Edler if that trade ever happens. He's 35...maybe Gilman can work out a bonus structured contract ala Iginla and Alfredsson?

Sami Salo would be a good depth signing. He was a plus 18 this year and has played in all but 13 games over the last 2 seasons.

Here's a good article explaining the 35+ contracts

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/7/8/4502504/nhl-free-agency-2013-daniel-alfredsson-and-the-over-35-bonus-cushion

Honestly, I don't think we'll be active in the UFA market. Next year we'll be integrating some of our prospects into the lineup so that's where I see most of the change coming from. It would be nice if we could unload Edler or Garrison and get a true PP threat on D. Also, even though Booth has played better I would still buy him out. Even if he scores 35 points next year (which would be a stretch), he still isn't worth anything close to $4.25M.

No no, in fact you're bang on. I only worry about the price our stop gap variables will command.

Halak or Hiller?

Ott, Moulson or Vrbata?

None of them will be cheap.

But factoring in the loss of a Booth, Burrows, edler or Kesler contract and this team is in a very good place.

Or the possibility of bringing in a huge contract cap killer like Campbells for his last year and our breathing room disappears fast and we aren't in such a good place.

I doubt very much that most of that happens.

If Tortorella is the coach..I don't see Vancouver as a destination for quality free agents...Unless you want your career stats to take a hit..I'm sure players talk amongst each other and until credibility comes back to this organization I wouldn't expect a whole lot.

Sure! What do we have to give up to get him though...? I doubt Hansen and Tanev alone get it done.

I doubt Hansen and Tanev alone get it done??? Are you serious? It's not something that is even worth talking about. Hansen is one of endless number of fast, unskilled wingers in the league and Tanev is a decent young defenceman. Subban was voted best defenceman in the league last year. Let me repeat that slowly: Subban was voted best defenceman in the league last year (Norris trophy).

I doubt Hansen and Tanev alone get it done??? Are you serious? It's not something that is even worth talking about. Hansen is one of endless number of fast, unskilled wingers in the league and Tanev is a decent young defenceman. Subban was voted best defenceman in the league last year. Let me repeat that slowly: Subban was voted best defenceman in the league last year (Norris trophy).

We don't need the turnover master

I think the Pens will actually be forced to walk away from Niskanen (assuming he tests the free agency market).

Open the first spoiler to read why (tl;dr: the Pens really don't have the cap space to sign him and still ice a full lineup):

Pittsburgh needs to sign their entire bottom-six (plus spares) at forward. This will cost a minimum of $10 million.

They only have around $15 million to spend (and only have 14 guys signed for 2014-15).

Orpik will almost certainly be cheaper than Niskanen. They can probably sign a full roster with Orps retained. But keeping Nisky will likely put them over the cap (barring a trade of a core player), even if they decided to let Orpik walk.

Orpik also provides a measure of size/physicality plus veteran shutdown ability that they really need on their D (as it's currently constructed).

Niskanen is going to be paid more than $6 million AAV on his next deal. The Pens' current structure doesn't allow them to pay that much for any additional single player and still fill out a full roster (especially if they want to have a balanced top-6 D).

Plus, the Pens have already committed to Letang long-term (and they don't appear to be looking to trade him). If they'd moved Letang, I could see them giving Nisky big money and term (since Niskanen has proven he can fill Letang's shoes very wel). But as things stand, unless they trade Letang, they just don't have the space to sign Niskanen and still ice a complete, balanced D corps.

Also, Martin has become a huge part of their D (just look at his usage during these playoffs) and he has only one year left (so they'll probably need to think about re-signing him for 2015-16).

They're going to have to bank on Maata, Despres, and/or Pouliot being ready to play big roles so they can try to work some youth into their future D. But the Pens are in "win now" mode and they're likely to stick with their core vets for the next few seasons (and sprinkle in youth whenever/wherever they can).

With the current roster, they'll have to try to stay contenders with a D built around Martin, Letang, Orpik, Scuderi, Maata, and either another youngster or a veteran 5/6.

Of course, they'd love to keep Niskanen as part of that group (every NHL team would love to make a spot for Nisky in their starting-six). The Penguins just can't afford it.

Niskanen's been rumoured to be on his way out of Pittsburgh for a couple years now (because of cap and roster issues). Unfortunately (for them), it looks like they're finally going to be forced to let him go right at the exact moment when he's starting to reach his full potential.

Their loss is (hopefully) our gain.

Open the second spoiler to read why (tl;dr: this is basically a re-hashing of my previous posts on Niskanen):

I think Niskanen is going to be an impact player of great significance in this league. I really believe he's a potential #1D who's just waiting for the chance to grab that role and run with it.

I'd be happy if the Canucks went "all-out" in trying to sign him (even if this involved making an "overpayment" to secure his services). In a few years, Nisky could easily be a regular part of the annual Norris conversation. I believe he could be that good.

I think he's going to prove himself to be well worth whatever he gets paid.

And (IMHO) he's just about a perfect fit for what this team needs (and has been lacking for quite a while). If Niskanen and Edler were able to partner well together, Nisky has the skillset and tools required to help Edler play to his best ability (and actually make Eddie look like a bargain at $5 million).

If not Edler, Niskanen could be equally well-suited to partner Garrison (and should be able to bring the most out of Garry's tools, including the ability to get full value from that cannon).

Adding Niskanen has the potential to create a significant team-wide improvement on the Canucks, both on the defense and the forward lines, and in nearly all game situations (but especially on the PP and on transition at 5v5).

There are never guarantees when you're adding new players but I believe that Niskanen is the one addition out there with the potential to create the most "fixes" for this team.

I think that a "re-tooling" build around Niskanen, plus a sprinkling of good young players, could re-energize this core and fix many of the systemic issues with this lineup. He has the potential to "flip the switch" for this team more than any coaching change could ever hope to "re-set" this group.

Whatever it costs to become the highest bidder during free agency, I believe Niskanen could more than replay to Vancouver in his returned value to this lineup.

I'm with you, I'd love to have Niskanen come to us if the Pens run into cap issues signing him. So much so I'd consider him as a little added value if we ever traded Kesler to them even though he's a pending UFA. It'd perhaps mean no Pouliot coming back, but Niskanen is a better mid-range retool option than going for prospects that'll only make an impact in 2-5 years.

While we do have some over 30 guys (on offence as well as defence) we have a number under 30 that could be a part of this team for the next 5-10 years.

Garrison - 29

Edler - 28

Weber - 25

Tanev - 24

Stanton - 24

Weber is a nice stop gap even if he doesn't stick around for 5+ years, and then we have our youth.

Tommernes - 23

Andersson - 23

McNally - 22

Corrado - 21

Hutton - 21

Subban - 19

Cederholm - 19

McEneny - 19

We won't see most of those as a regular in the line up, but if we have any making a contribution in the next 5 years (Corrado, Hutton and one of Tommernes, Andersson, Subban or Cederholm seem likely) we're doing well.

Take that group and add Niskanen, who's only 27? Yes please.

It'd still mean moving older or underperforming D at some point and maybe we keep Hamhuis over Edler for instance. But that's a defence I can be happy with while we retool so long as we find a way to make our forwards work as well, both by providing offence more regularly and supporting the defence.

EDIT: of course the opposite could be true where if they can find a way to keep Niskanen then Pouliot becomes very redundant in their system and should be available in a trade.

I was trying to let TML down gently. As much as I'm sure all of us would LOVE to get P.K. in a Canucks uni I don't know how we could possibly afford him without crippling our prospect pool. Nor do I have any reason to believe the Habs are looking to part ways with him.

If we're going to look for a PMD all we can really afford is "promise" IMO. Something like a Pouliot (or even higher end like Vatanen, though obviously at greater expense). We can't afford young and proven via trade.

Pouliot is intriguing to me as Pits could use someone like Tanev as a steady d-presence so perhaps something could be worked out with them (especially as they currently have Letang and Niskanen).

Though again, here's hoping we can nab/sign Nisk in the offseason.

What Free Agents can you see the Canucks grabbing this year?

Honestly, if JT is still here, i don't see any significant UFA wanting to sign here to play under him. Too many players have publically expressed their displeasure with him as a coach over the years

Re-sign our RFAs and Santorelli. Tanev 3x3, Kassian 2x2, qualify Schroeder, Dalpe and Weber (1.98 combined) and Santorelli (2x2).

2nd line center:

Stastny is the pipe dream - if at market value (in the range he currently makes).

Grabovksi - would make a nice winger option for Kesler imo - likely at a fairly reasonable cap hit. Good two way hockey sense and with Kesler, would be a nightmare line to play against.

If either of these guys can be signed, buyout Booth afterwards (can go 10% over the cap in summer) to create the cap space.

Depth center:

Goc - would make a hell of a one-two punch at depth center with Richardson. Strong bottom 6.

Konopka - alteratively, an affordable guy who wins a boatload of faceoffs and handles heavy d-zone starts. Good option for the fourth line imo, and allows the Canucks to use a younger center like Lain or Dalpe on the wing.

Imo, add at least one center to the mix.

Also on the to-do list this summer is to add a pmd prospect - whether it's by acquiring a mid round 1st and drafting Honka, or Pouliot in a deal with Pitt, or a near NHL ready guy like Erixon in a CBJ deal.

Re-sign our RFAs and Santorelli. Tanev 3x3, Kassian 2x2, qualify Schroeder, Dalpe and Weber (1.98 combined) and Santorelli (2x2).

2nd line center:

Stastny is the pipe dream - if at market value (in the range he currently makes).

Grabovksi - would make a nice winger option for Kesler imo - likely at a fairly reasonable cap hit. Good two way hockey sense and with Kesler, would be a nightmare line to play against.

If either of these guys can be signed, buyout Booth afterwards (can go 10% over the cap in summer) to create the cap space.

Depth center:

Goc - would make a hell of a one-two punch at depth center with Richardson. Strong bottom 6.

Konopka - alteratively, an affordable guy who wins a boatload of faceoffs and handles heavy d-zone starts. Good option for the fourth line imo, and allows the Canucks to use a younger center like Lain or Dalpe on the wing.

Also on the to-do list this summer is to add a pmd prospect - whether it's by acquiring a mid round 1st and drafting Honka, or Pouliot in a deal with Pitt, or a near NHL ready guy like Erixon in a CBJ deal.

Pretty much that.

Though I don't know if I go shopping for a bottom 6 C.

Between Santorelli, Richardson, Matthias, Gaunce, Horvat, Cassels, and Lain surely we can have 2-4 guys (some playing on wing) who can work there for what you're thinking. Basically I'm saying one of the prospects earns a role IMO.

I'd rather spend our money on a PMD or a top 6 guy. (UFA or via trade/salary). Our bottom 6 is fine, particularly when we get guys like Higgins, Santorelli etc playing there where they belong (not the top 6).

Brayden Schenn...maybe not through signing as an RFA cause we would cough up picks, but find a way to deal for him.

Ability to play center or wing, drive the opposition nuts and can back it up with putting the puck in the net. reminds me of a young Ryan Kesler.

Brayden Schenn...maybe not through signing as an RFA cause we would cough up picks, but find a way to deal for him.

Ability to play center or wing, drive the opposition nuts and can back it up with putting the puck in the net. reminds me of a young Ryan Kesler.

Who do we trade to Philly and why do they let him go?

I imagine our first would be a starting point. although he is one of the few players i would part with it to acquire. not kane though.

2nd line center:

Depth center:

Interesting options, but I think we already have some of those. Still, some I'd consider.

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Grabovski Kesler Kassian

Burrows Horvat Matthias

Higgins Richardson Lain

Schroeder/Dalpe/Santorelli

Of course if we trade on of our current top 6 (Burrows or Kesler, I guessed Hansen could be traded) then we can restructure that, but it's an interesting option.

Then D:

Edler Niskanen

Hamhuis Tanev

Stanton Garrison

Weber/Corrado.

One of our top four could be moved and make way for bringing in Niskanen, just chose Bieksa for this example.

Who do we trade to Philly and why do they let him go?

Well depends where you want to go with the team first.

Philly has an overwhelming depth at center with Giroux, Couturier, Lecavalier that Schenn was moved to the wing for parts of this season. With Rising prospect Scott Laughton who more likely will be in the NHL next season or fighting for a spot it opens for Philly to trade Schenn for a position that they deeply want to fill soon is on D and LW.

Philly does not have a RHD in there system that is NHL material besides Luke Schenn who plays 17+ minutes. They really want to add a piece especially since Kimmo Timonen may not resign leaving some glaring wholes on Defense for them. Yes the obvious thing is to think of ship Edler to them, but we don't really know if anyone for that matter is very high on Edler after his atrocious season...so maybe upcoming RFA Chris Tanev interests them? RHD, and has shown he can play tough minutes could be of interest to them

Or go back to Kesler's interest from Holmgren. No doubt Philly's GM has coveted Kesler since the offer sheet, and would love to add him. Yes Philly has enough centers, but Philly is so in love with Kesler's brand of hockey they cannot resist and want to win now. Kesler gives them a good push and punch to there lineup that makes them instant real contenders.

For Schenn, they love him no doubt, but they would be willing to part with him instead of Couturier for Kesler.

IMO B.Schenn is the only real center that fits the mold of what the Canucks WANTED (not sure if the expectations of return may change now with Linden in charge) was a 22-25 year old center that has the capabilities to fill in that spot if Kesler left. Really rumours of Brandon Sutter...mehhh he is a good two way center, but besides that, he doesn't have real upside offensively and doesn't impose a lot of grit or sandpaper. Doesn't really look like a guy who could be a 2nd line center but a quality third line center. Stepan also rumoured is good at both ends of the ice doesn't play a coersive style that Kesler does. And isn't very big himself thus can't really play the same way Kesler would. As for Schenn he can.. He has the frame and skills to eventually fill kesler's shoes in the future. He plays with a lot of sandpaper, and plays just as good offensively and defensively. Here in Vancouver he could break out even more than what he did this year in Philly with 20 goals and 41 points. He won't have a chance with Couturier soaking up 19 + minutes every night.

So really the chips of Kesler, Tanev, maybe Edler could be moved for Schenn.

Honestly moving Kesler before his 2 years are up and his value goes down is the best way to go. Our stanley cup window has closed for the time being. Its time to open that again down the road, but right now its time to build off of players that can pull us back intot he fold in several years from now. Kesler's prime is going be up by then, and wont be able to sustain that same type of game he has done for the past 3-4 years.

Well depends where you want to go with the team first.

Philly has an overwhelming depth at center with Giroux, Couturier, Lecavalier that Schenn was moved to the wing for parts of this season. With Rising prospect Scott Laughton who more likely will be in the NHL next season or fighting for a spot it opens for Philly to trade Schenn for a position that they deeply want to fill soon is on D and LW.

Philly does not have a RHD in there system that is NHL material besides Luke Schenn who plays 17+ minutes. They really want to add a piece especially since Kimmo Timonen may not resign leaving some glaring wholes on Defense for them. Yes the obvious thing is to think of ship Edler to them, but we don't really know if anyone for that matter is very high on Edler after his atrocious season...so maybe upcoming RFA Chris Tanev interests them? RHD, and has shown he can play tough minutes could be of interest to them

Or go back to Kesler's interest from Holmgren. No doubt Philly's GM has coveted Kesler since the offer sheet, and would love to add him. Yes Philly has enough centers, but Philly is so in love with Kesler's brand of hockey they cannot resist and want to win now. Kesler gives them a good push and punch to there lineup that makes them instant real contenders.

For Schenn, they love him no doubt, but they would be willing to part with him instead of Couturier for Kesler.

IMO B.Schenn is the only real center that fits the mold of what the Canucks WANTED (not sure if the expectations of return may change now with Linden in charge) was a 22-25 year old center that has the capabilities to fill in that spot if Kesler left. Really rumours of Brandon Sutter...mehhh he is a good two way center, but besides that, he doesn't have real upside offensively and doesn't impose a lot of grit or sandpaper. Doesn't really look like a guy who could be a 2nd line center but a quality third line center. Stepan also rumoured is good at both ends of the ice doesn't play a coersive style that Kesler does. And isn't very big himself thus can't really play the same way Kesler would. As for Schenn he can.. He has the frame and skills to eventually fill kesler's shoes in the future. He plays with a lot of sandpaper, and plays just as good offensively and defensively. Here in Vancouver he could break out even more than what he did this year in Philly with 20 goals and 41 points. He won't have a chance with Couturier soaking up 19 + minutes every night.

So really the chips of Kesler, Tanev, maybe Edler could be moved for Schenn.

Honestly moving Kesler before his 2 years are up and his value goes down is the best way to go. Our stanley cup window has closed for the time being. Its time to open that again down the road, but right now its time to build off of players that can pull us back intot he fold in several years from now. Kesler's prime is going be up by then, and wont be able to sustain that same type of game he has done for the past 3-4 years.

I'd do it for Tanev + and go HARD after Niskanen FWIW ;)

Or stay out of the UFA sweepstakes.

Kesler, Schroeder, Sestito, 3rd to the CBJ for Dubinsky, Jenner, Erixon, 1st.

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Boone Jenner ($0.778m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Zack Kassian ($2.000m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Mike Santorelli ($2.500m)
Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Kellan Lain ($0.600m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.925m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($3.000m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Tim Erixon ($0.990m) / Frank Corrado ($0.591m)
GOALTENDERS

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)
BUYOUTS
David Booth ($0.000m)
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.13% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,141,944; BONUSES: $974,167
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $4,958,056

Booth buyout is optional - have enough cap space to retain him - or buy him out for the cap flexibility.

Honka with the CBJ's 1st.

Archived