The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese-only sign reignites language debate in Richmond, B.C.

DonLever

your just the troll of the thread aren't you?

no, just all this crap about guilt tripping white people into feeling bad about things that happened hundreds of years ago is ridiculous. nobody living today had anything to do with it yet we're supposed to feel bad about it? cool story bro

Yes but how do you suggest they get their feet in the ground? My take with these neighbourhoods is that morally they should be a place for someone to start their new life in Canada until they are properly settled (Financially,etc..) then they should move out and integrate with the rest of the population. Most people in the South Asian community look out for one another. If you're alluding to criminal activity then sure they are vulnerable.. But I have yet to hear of a story of people being swindled in these communities. Especially with rise of educated bilingual people who are sons or daughters of these immigrants..

I think for one to truly understand whats goes on in such communities or neighbourhoods is to mingle more with the people that lives there. Not just depend on opinions from some members of the south asian communities. Im no expert myself as I live on the Island, but I have a large amount family who live close or in these neighbourhoods, as with any South Asian.

My point is simple - learning a national language is advantageous to anyone.

Neighborhoods that enable people who do not have a grasp of a national language to live without learning one cause collateral harm to those people.

My point is simple - learning a national language is advantageous to anyone.

Neighborhoods that enable people who do not have a grasp of a national language to live without learning one cause collateral harm to those people.

Examples please? Many in these neighbourhoods over time become successful in business etc..

What are some examples of the collateral harm? Their children become bilingual and teach their parents some new things as they get older. I understand your point of view, but its very difficult to relate when its someone looking from the outside in. Fortunately I the have opportunity to enter both sides..

I'll says this I usually respect your opinions here because they're insightful and different, but for this particular issue I respectively disagree. You may had the opportunity to listen to opinions of some South asian people, but I have lived and interacted with such people whom we are debating my whole life. The argument that its harmful to them is clearly not there. Potentially harmful to the Canadian population as whole sure.. We have no right to intrude in the way they choice to live. Its not like they are amish people who are fully segregated from the population.. Many overtime do in fact learn english enough to communicate at least, like my parents for example.. Came here knowing not a lick of english and now have raised two children going to University and own several properties around the island. This just one example of many..

"The only problem with that is, this is not "your country" either unless you are a native."

And who had the land before the natives? Other natives and other tribes now long gone. Check into the Kinniwick(sp) man, allegedly Caucasian bones dating back 10,000 years found in Washington State.

Nobody was here first, we all got here at different times, and we will all be gone at different times, not first or last just different.

Reposting this response from the Vancouver subreddit, imo it's spot on:

So you have Richmond with a prominently Mandarin/Cantonese speaking neighbourhood, and a PRIVATE company PAYS for an advertisement in Chinese? This is something to get upset about? If they want to spend the money, and market towards the key demographic in the area, who cares?

However, I will echo a bit of what /u/raquo mentions about assimilation. New Canadians are doing themselves a genuine disservice by not learning English (Or French in Quebec.) When these new Canadians have children, and send them to school they won't be able to speak with the teachers about the children's progress. When they get sick and go to the hospital, they won't be able to communicate with the staff. When they need to use government services, they won't be able to get the assistance and help they need.

I have no problem with a private company paying money for an advertisement in a non-official language in an area full of those who speak that language. But these New Canadians really should be learning English to fully integrate with Canada and benefit from everything we offer to all Canadians.

Reposting this response from the Vancouver subreddit, imo it's spot on:

I agree and disagree, its mostly generalizing imo. We have become to accustom to assuming new immigrants as people who aren't capable of learning a new language or in fact can't communicate in basic English or French. Thats usually not the case. I know many people who can only speak basic english and still attend their children's PT interviews or take them to the hospital etc..

Just because you experience a immigrant worker not being able to effectively take your order at McDonalds for example doesn't mean all are like that...

"The only problem with that is, this is not "your country" either unless you are a native."

And who had the land before the natives? Other natives and other tribes now long gone. Check into the Kinniwick(sp) man, allegedly Caucasian bones dating back 10,000 years found in Washington State.

Nobody was here first, we all got here at different times, and we will all be gone at different times, not first or last just different.

good post..

I agree and disagree, its mostly generalizing imo. We have become to accustom to assuming new immigrants as people who aren't capable of learning a new language or in fact can't communicate in basic English or French. Thats usually not the case. I know many people who can only speak basic english and still attend their children's PT interviews or take them to the hospital etc..

Just because you experience a immigrant worker not being able to effectively take your order at McDonalds for example doesn't mean all are like that...

His post makes sense to extent for communication. However if you look at a lot of government service jobs, they purposely look to hire minorities for this reason. So they can communicate with their own people and understand them better.

Go to a hospital, you will see how many races of nurses there are, who can speak more languages than just English. Go to schools, I had Indian, Chinese and White teachers throughout all my years. I know for a fact the RCMP and VPD are looking to hire specifically more minorities so they deal with and communicate with the minorities who may not speak English..

So for people that have difficulty or don't speak English, it's not really an issue these days, because every working sector essentially has people working from all races.

I grew up in North Surrey and went to elementary school with a lot of East Indian immigrant kids. There were a lot who didn't speak english very well at all, and their parents definitely did not. The kids struggled through the first few years of school as they had a hard time socializing with the rest of us, and they didn't get any reinforcement of english at home.

That was 20-25 years ago. Now, those kids are fully fluent in english, have university degrees, own Canucks and team Canada jerseys, and don't even have a hit of an accent.

Their kids are going to enter school in a few years, and they'll be on the same footing as anyone else. They might not even know punjabi or hindi, other than a few stray words and phrases here and there.

Heck, I'm a white dude born in Vancouver. My parents were both immigrants from Europe who didn't speak english when they came to Canada. The second generation are natives.

I grew up in North Surrey and went to elementary school with a lot of East Indian immigrant kids. There were a lot who didn't speak english very well at all, and their parents definitely did not. The kids struggled through the first few years of school as they had a hard time socializing with the rest of us, and they didn't get any reinforcement of english at home.

That was 20-25 years ago. Now, those kids are fully fluent in english, have university degrees, own Canucks and team Canada jerseys, and don't even have a hit of an accent.

Their kids are going to enter school in a few years, and they'll be on the same footing as anyone else. They might not even know punjabi or hindi, other than a few stray words and phrases here and there.

Heck, I'm a white dude born in Vancouver. My parents were both immigrants from Europe who didn't speak english when they came to Canada. The second generation are natives.

Good points man.. I was the same struggled throughout elementary school because I had trouble with the language aspect and I can remember others being in the same boat. Now we have no issues and our parents have learned the language as well. Even my Grandpa he can barely speak any english goes to the bank alone and withdrawals money all the time or goes to the doctors alone. He's been doing this for 20 years.. and I don't even live in surrey or the lower mainland for that matter.

if a canadian decides to move to denmark, he/she has to learn to speak danish. he/she can't expect danish people to speak english with him/her all the time

the same goes for the immigrants in canada. you decided to move to an english / french speaking country, you know what to do.

well to be fair to denmark, a large population can speak english over there. it might be their second official language

Learn the laws, learn the customs, learn an official language or get out. Your culture, native tongue, religion are not an issue but I am sick and tired of our government and citizens bending over backwards and making special exceptions for landed immigrants. I wish we were more like Australia with our immigration laws.

Immigration is a very important and needed part of our economy but if you are going to disrespect the country you are benefiting from by refusing to accept our customs, laws and official languages here then you simply do not belong here.

Actually.....I have a friend that works at the Australian embassy in Hong Kong, and she told me the Australians have a new immigration plan, they seriously want money. Heard all you need for immigration is 5mil AUS all into their bonds, and its done deal.

Thought I would just share that.

anyhoo....on one....i also hate whats happening in richmond, and i'm actually chinese myself....but i too am kinda getting tired of all these new immigrants.......they are actually really different from when my parents came 20 years ago.....alot of them really have no means of mingling with other population other than themselves.....

and....i really hate to be seen as the same as them by others just because of my appearance....

BUT.....this is just a mouthwash ad....next thing we know...everyone is complaining...and ads will no longer have text on them

anyhoo....on one....i also hate whats happening in richmond, and i'm actually chinese myself....but i too am kinda getting tired of all these new immigrants.......they are actually really different from when my parents came 20 years ago.....alot of them really have no means of mingling with other population other than themselves.....

that's something i don't get. one of my friends immigrated here from dubai and has to go through all this **** for his citizenship, while we have all these immigrants who don't have to do that. they can't even speak english, while my friend who's fluent in english, has to know about the war of 1812 and all this stuff. is there some sort of exception in our immigration system? this is a serious question that even my friend thinks "what the ****" because, apparently, he can be deported

that's something i don't get. one of my friends immigrated here from dubai and has to go through all this **** for his citizenship, while we have all these immigrants who don't have to do that. they can't even speak english, while my friend who's fluent in english, has to know about the war of 1812 and all this stuff. is there some sort of exception in our immigration system? this is a serious question that even my friend thinks "what the ****" because, apparently, he can be deported

money my friend, that is what really investment immigration is all about....

government wanting money, and who can give them that? rich immigrants that may have difficulty spending their money from who knows where in their motherland.

and generally, probably for the passport.

Just my guess.

Actually.....I have a friend that works at the Australian embassy in Hong Kong, and she told me the Australians have a new immigration plan, they seriously want money. Heard all you need for immigration is 5mil AUS all into their bonds, and its done deal.

Thought I would just share that.

and....i really hate to be seen as the same as them by others just because of my appearance....

BUT.....this is just a mouthwash ad....next thing we know...everyone is complaining...and ads will no longer have text on them

You know we have the same system right?

Asians buy their way into Canada,

It's been that way for a long time.

Archived