The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese-only sign reignites language debate in Richmond, B.C.

DonLever

Sad that posting an add could raise peoples blood pressure so much.

I know it certainly raised mine earlier on lol, but I understand where some people are coming from even though I don't necessarily agree with everything they say.

IMO its not really big issue right now as you dont see much coverage of this on news or in parliamentary debate. I think it will be in the future when we might need to discuss immigration reform like the USA for example.

if you don't want to learn the language then stay in your own country

if i went to china i wouldn't expect them to start putting everything in english just to cater to me

Really? I expect English signs everywhere. And when I mean everywhere, I mean EVERYWHERE!

I don't expect people to address me in English and have English signs in Richmond. I demand it in China!

Anyone that likes the idea of making money follows along!

I like the quote "how am I supposed to know what they're marketing".

This is great to me. It's like censorship. I hope more adverts are in different languages. I could use less poison for my brain.

Don't worry they are close to having mind reading technology and they are certainly already tracking everything you even think about buying either online or in person.

The day will come soon when a script reads "different languages" and a little robot comes knocking on the door offering to sell you the latest language software.

Resistance is futile.

I personally love those ads, to be honest. I love stopping by that Crystal Mall or whatever by Metro from time to time even though I can barely understand anything in there because it feels like I just got transported to a different part of the world. Why are people acting offended as if these are street signs that you must know how to read in order to move around? I would understand the problem then but as it stands, it's a nonissue that only highlights your insecurities.

Advertisements have always been made to cater to a specific group, they sell images to various age groups, socioeconomic groups, subcultures, etc. Would you think it's strange if you were in the most poverty ridden part of the town and saw a Gucci billboard? I know I would. This ad was placed where it would be understandable to majority of the people. I don't see any problem with it.

Do you think it makes sense to complain that it makes you feel left out that you can't "relate" with an? Well then, suck it up. It's just an ad. Reminds me of the fat acceptance movement asking for obese Disney princesses. Not everything has to cater to your insecurities. I am not sure what people mean by "our land, our language, our culture" mantra either, I don't know what this "we" is. Was that before or after "we" abused the crap out of the Natives? I had no idea "we" are all the same.

Also, a question to those saying immigrants should learn the language. While I don't disagree with the fact that enough knowledge for basic communication should be mandatory, how many of you at say the age of 30 would make the effort to be fluent in Arabic if you were to move to Abu Dhabi? For some reason, I expect majority of you to be bitching about the lack of English there as well instead.

If they are here and don't speak English just don't talk to them. A simple "I don't know what you are talking about" (shrug, walk away) is good enough.

Personally, if for (some unfortunate reason) I was spending a lot of time in Abu Dhabi I would learn Arabic just for something to do.

Agree especially the last bit. Unfortunately we don't have a proper system in place that accredits people who are doctors or engineers in their home country to practice here in Canada.

Pssh, you don't even need to speak proper English to be an engineer!

Reminds me of classes in university. Go for first project meeting. Notify rest of team they are doing project. My job will be to translate it into English. Leadership at it's finest!

if a canadian decides to move to denmark, he/she has to learn to speak danish. he/she can't expect danish people to speak english with him/her all the time

the same goes for the immigrants in canada. you decided to move to an english / french speaking country, you know what to do.

Have you been to Denmark? Everyone speaks English. Like fluently. Better odds of having someone start a conversation with you in Copenhagen in English than say Vancouver!

Have you been to Denmark? Everyone speaks English. Like fluently. Better odds of having someone start a conversation with you in Copenhagen in English than say Vancouver!

Too funny. That reminds me of when I went to Holland as a kid. I tried my best to speak Dutch but more often than not they couldn't understand anything I said and would tell me to just go with English.

Culture, of which advertising and language is part of, is a reflection of the population living in that region. P&G's ad, along with other Chinese only ads in Richmond only reflects the population's makeup and its purchasing power. This is all pretty natural and organic. It's not like you have a Chinese only ad in say Prince Albert, SK where there are no Chinese people.

Culture should not be imposed by the government with language laws and such.

Though I do think it is the responsibility of advertisers to be more sensitive to a broader market, especially a conglomerate like P&G.

P&G should be sensitive to their shareholders, who no doubt love profits, and nothing else.

Too funny. That reminds me of when I went to Holland as a kid. I tried my best to speak Dutch but more often than not they couldn't understand anything I said and would tell me to just go with English.

Hej! Et/To ols! Tak!

That's enough.

Oh, and if you happen to go to Sweden or Norway as well it's the same language. And they all also speak English.

Just remember that in Sweden they suck at hockey (they will argue this) and that their beer sucks (this they won't).

In Denmark add Skul! to the list on account of the fact that if you are still sober you are not doing it right.

In Sweden the women are tens but are conservatives like the rest of the Swedes.

In Denmark they are 9.5s but are almost as crazy and fun as the men.

Denmark is freaking aweseome.

Exactly, my view is "who cares". Government services are all in English and French. "Native" Canadians are under no obligation to communicate with anyone in Chinese or whatever language. I also can't recall meting any minority in North America that expected me to communicate with them in their own language or any language other than English. There's no obligation to read this ad or buy their products. If someone chooses not to learn English, they are the ones that lose in the end.

I said earlier, a lot of government services such as hospitals have signs now in a lot of different languages for this exact reason. And they have people from all backgrounds working at these places so they can communicate with people who don't speak English.

Canadian government and politicians know how important minorities are to Canada.

If they are here and don't speak English just don't talk to them. A simple "I don't know what you are talking about" (shrug, walk away) is good enough.

Personally, if for (some unfortunate reason) I was spending a lot of time in Abu Dhabi I would learn Arabic just for something to do.

Why would it be unfortunate to live in Abu Dhabi? The place is amazing lol I'm guessing you think anything related to "Arabic" must be some old poverty driven hellhole. Lived in Dubai for quite a bit and never felt more alive.

P&G should be sensitive to their shareholders, who no doubt love profits, and nothing else.

Yes, and they deem that Chinese only ads in Richmond will make them more profits. They have the demographic data to support the campaign, I'm sure.

For them, it is no different then 'Vancouver Pizza' back in SCF 2011. Companies kissing consumers asses for profits.

Why would it be unfortunate to live in Abu Dhabi? The place is amazing lol I'm guessing you think anything related to "Arabic" must be some old poverty driven hellhole. Lived in Dubai for quite a bit and never felt more alive.

lol Dubai doesn't count

it's like H.K compared to the rest of China, you wouldn't even think you're in the same country.

Archived