The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese-only sign reignites language debate in Richmond, B.C.

DonLever

The problem I see is by allowing this we are allowing groups to build parallel societies rather than integrating into Canadian society, if you want to live in Canada you should at least LEARN THE LANGUAGE, things like this just gives less incentive to do that. If I move to Germany does it not make sense that I should learn German rather than expect others to learn English? Two official languages in this country, if the box of cornflakes I buy has to have half the box in French then why shouldn't this add have the message in either English or French as well as Chinese?

Because as a supplier, you're choosing to do business in Canada, which means you're going to adhere to strict laws regarding labelling and packaging. One of those laws is exactly what you mentioned - that the health/nutritious info be both in French and English.

This is an ad for a private service, for a private company, on private space (a bus stop).So long as this ad doesn't offend people (ie. a Nazi swastika, showing extreme violence), it's well within Crest's rights to put whatever they want on it.

The problem I see is by allowing this we are allowing groups to build parallel societies rather than integrating into Canadian society.....

You don't get to allow or not allow anybody to do anything. We live in a free democracy. Nobody needs your permission or anybody's permission to build parallel societies or parallel universes or parallel anything. That is the real Canadian society.

You as well as I and everybody chooses to do whatever they want as long as they obey the rules and laws, and aren't hurting anybody.

If P&G, or any business, decides to put an ad in your neighbourhood that you can't read, they are fully entitled to do so. It is silly to completely ignore your purchasing power, but it is their right.

You don't get to allow or not allow anybody to do anything. We live in a free democracy. Nobody needs your permission or anybody's permission to build parallel societies or parallel universes or parallel anything. That is the real Canadian society.

You as well as I and everybody chooses to do whatever they want as long as they obey the rules and laws, and aren't hurting anybody.

If P&G, or any business, decides to put an ad in your neighbourhood that you can't read, they are fully entitled to do so. It is silly to completely ignore your purchasing power, but it is their right.

Just to note, there is no government intervention here, although in one case there should be. If it's law to require at least one of Canada's languages, it must be adhered to, I don't care where they came from.

But moreover, just as people have the freedom to ignore the customs of the country they moved to and socially isolate themselves, they have the freedom to reap the repercussions of that, which is society giving them crap left and right.

Just to note, there is no government intervention here, although in one case there should be. If it's law to require at least one of Canada's languages, it must be adhered to, I don't care where they came from.

But moreover, just as people have the freedom to ignore the customs of the country they moved to and socially isolate themselves, they have the freedom to reap the repercussions of that, which is society giving them crap left and right.

WHAT? YOU "LIBERTARIAN" SAID WHAT??

WHAT? YOU "LIBERTARIAN" SAID WHAT??

I can differentiate between US Libertarian and Canadian. :lol:

American Libertarians evidently aren't aware that you can have universal healthcare and low taxes/fiscal responsibility! That's why I urge them to visit Alberta.

Anyways, in regards to this sign, I was born in central BC and then moved to the lower mainland this fall. I love the diversity, and I live in an extremely Hindu region of vancouver.

I agree with you quite a bit, but what part of Vancouver do you live in? Just to nitpick because I've gotten this vibe from other ppl who are from central or eastern bc, but are you sure it's an extremely 'Hindu' place? Or is it Sikh? Cuz you know.. there is more than 1 religion in India.

I can differentiate between US Libertarian and Canadian. :lol:

American Libertarians evidently aren't aware that you can have universal healthcare and low taxes/fiscal responsibility! That's why I urge them to visit Alberta.

Alberta has a ton of oil, that is why they are where they are.

You're trying to justify racism.

Fortunately some of us know what racism actually is and don't loosely use this term, reducing the meaning of it to whatever crap you're really trying to imply.

Funny thing is when I first read your " society giving them crap left and right", my first reaction was "society doesn't actually give a crap".

Funny thing is when I first read your " society giving them crap left and right", my first reaction was "society doesn't actually give a crap".

But you changed your mind after realizing with the petition and news picking it up, clearly plenty of people give a crap, right? ;)

At the end of the day, one of the biggest reasons all new Canadians and PR's should be learning at least one of our official languages is because it makes them a greater asset to Canada, which is a major reason we have such accepting views on immigration. We need them. However, we need them to be able to contribute to our society and economy. The best way for them to contribute, so that they make take advantage of the great benefits this country offers, is to become fluent in one of our languages (as well as using their native tongue) so that they may prosper in their field of work. Another big benefit is that they can understand our politics and participate in our democracy (voting, community events etc.)

With the ability to communicate and understand eachother we grow as a nation. I fell that this reason alone is enough to justify that our country make learning (speaking & writing) one of our official languages a mandatory requirement to be here. People from all over the world who come here to live offer a wealth of skill and knowledge but to truly benefit from those skills we all need to be able to communicate and work together to prosper. A common language (or languages) only promotes this idea.

Fortunately some of us know what racism actually is and don't loosely use this term, reducing the meaning of it to whatever crap you're really trying to imply.

You are openly suggesting we take those who are culturally removed from society... and treat them like crap. That or you're trying to legitimize those who do.

That's straight up discrimination. You say they're free to do what they want but that they'll be publicly ostracized for their choices. Fortunately there are some who know what racism is and aren't afraid to blow the whistle when they see it.

I'm Chinese but some Chinese people should not belong here when they don't understand concepts like simple courtesy and using garbage bins as a piss bin.

I literally know a person who posted on Facebook about how she encountered a woman taking a crap without closing the door. It was an Asian mall...

You are openly suggesting we take those who are culturally removed from society... and treat them like crap. That or you're trying to legitimize those who do.

That's straight up discrimination. You say they're free to do what they want but that they'll be publicly ostracized for their choices. Fortunately there are some who know what racism is and aren't afraid to blow the whistle when they see it.

You say using one's freedoms to criticize those who exercise their freedom is discrimination (or racism, LOL), what really sounds like discrimination to me, along with a very lopsided view of what freedoms are, is that only one side be able to enjoy their freedoms (yet not have the freedom to take responsibility for the things they do), others be damned. That's not the way it works. I would re-evaluate what freedom really is, along with racism, because you have both of them extremely wrong on this matter.

Archived