The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese-only sign reignites language debate in Richmond, B.C.

DonLever

But you changed your mind after realizing with the petition and news picking it up, clearly plenty of people give a crap, right? ;)

some people care. but I think they are in the minority. The recent petition by some middle aged white ladies in Richmond failed to convince the city government.

the demographics are changing, and people will have to adjust. the older generations will not be able to integrate smoothly, but 2nd and 3rd generations will do better. That's how it always have been, New immigrants from Italy, Ireland, Greece, Russia, are similar. Maybe they pick up the language faster.

The difference maybe that due to the new immigration requirements, many of the Chinese who get here are wealthy, and do not need to speak English as urgently, for example, to get a job here etc. And due to the numbers and concentration of Chinese in a place say Richmond, it is very easy to get around without fluency in English. This was not the case when I moved to Richmond in 1984.

Still, I think commercial ads and signs can be any language. That doesn't bother me. The products sold, esp food items, must have English/French labels. And public places and government related, should have the official languages. Other than that, I don't care.

Was in Toronto a few weeks ago, and even the police department entrance at Dundas St. is written in Chinese.

018.jpg

Bunch of places in NYC where I live is no different. If u go to Flushing, Queens, in Chinese malls it resembles Aberdeen in Richmond. My American gf said it seemed like a foreign country there.

On the subways in NYC, they often have chinese only, korean only, or russian only signs, which you can decipher based on the pics on it, that it was sending safety messages about train accidents and tells peeople to look out for people who are drunk or ill and might fall on to the tracks.

Many other signs are spanish, russian or chinese only, and they are ads for classes teaching english.

People dont go around petition to ban these signs. It's NYC.

Was in Toronto a few weeks ago, and even the police department entrance at Dundas St. is written in Chinese.

018.jpg

This police station is the closest one to Chinatown, a few blocks away. It can't harm anyone to have the Chinese translation on it.

I honestly don't care anymore about signage being in other languages without a proper translation. I used to care because I wanted to know what the writing was about but I actually think it makes Canada kind of unique. I guess its about changing times and we live in a more global community with internet making the world smaller and people going to any country they like without getting into trouble. Its so much different than the late 1800s where some people of different nationality were banned from visiting certain countries or unable to travel in other countries due to severe case of racism. Even 60 years back, there was black slavery and black didn't have the same rights as the white man in most US states. Am just grateful at how far we have advanced to the point where other cultures can be introduced into our community without much backlash. There are still dinosaurs that are living in the pre-nazi era I suppose but hopefully they will be eradicated soon.

some people care. but I think they are in the minority. The recent petition by some middle aged white ladies in Richmond failed to convince the city government.

the demographics are changing, and people will have to adjust. the older generations will not be able to integrate smoothly, but 2nd and 3rd generations will do better. That's how it always have been, New immigrants from Italy, Ireland, Greece, Russia, are similar. Maybe they pick up the language faster.

The difference maybe that due to the new immigration requirements, many of the Chinese who get here are wealthy, and do not need to speak English as urgently, for example, to get a job here etc. And due to the numbers and concentration of Chinese in a place say Richmond, it is very easy to get around without fluency in English. This was not the case when I moved to Richmond in 1984.

Still, I think commercial ads and signs can be any language. That doesn't bother me. The products sold, esp food items, must have English/French labels. And public places and government related, should have the official languages. Other than that, I don't care.

018.jpg

Bunch of places in NYC where I live is no different. If u go to Flushing, Queens, in Chinese malls it resembles Aberdeen in Richmond. My American gf said it seemed like a foreign country there.

On the subways in NYC, they often have chinese only, korean only, or russian only signs, which you can decipher based on the pics on it, that it was sending safety messages about train accidents and tells peeople to look out for people who are drunk or ill and might fall on to the tracks.

Many other signs are spanish, russian or chinese only, and they are ads for classes teaching english.

I don't get my knickers in a twist over it, but I would certainly understand those who do.

Same thing is all around downtown Calgary.

P8212601-006.jpg

really? i've only been to NYC once, and over the span of three or four weeks i heard loads, upon loads, upon loads of racist or anti-immigration sounding comments. this one bus driver i spoke to absolutely let-loose on chinatown one day. it was intense. it was even worse in london, where having the wrong form of english accent is considered a sin!

of course my limited experience isn't a proper representation of any diverse culture's "general disposition" (if such a thing exists), but i don't believe, even for a second, that local (as in native) new yorkers are indifferent towards the waves of immigrants who create insular communities surrounding the so-called "melting pot" that their families established long ago. don't buy it at all.

I don't get my knickers in a twist over it, but I would certainly understand those who do.

Same thing is all around downtown Calgary.

P8212601-006.jpg

These have English translations though. People are complaining about pure Chinese signs and ads.

As far as I'm concerned Canada should be a melting pot. That means all walks of life are blended into a distinct, 'Canadian' culture. Not separated and maintained as little pockets of different cultures. That only creates a schism.

As far as I'm concerned Canada should be a melting pot. That means all walks of life are blended into a distinct, 'Canadian' culture. Not separated and maintained as little pockets of different cultures. That only creates a schism.

When the cultures you're trying to impose this utopian/idealistic "melting pot" thought process upon selectively segregate themselves via ethnic/racial based criteria, there comes to be an inevitable conflict.

Normally an intellectual immigrant will seek out their place to live based on logical criteria such as availability of jobs (relative to their skills), or perhaps something more objective like climate (I stand drier climate far better than humid -- as one example), and not base where they move on ethnic/race criteria. Yet clearly that's the case for a handful of very large Canadian cities.

So there's no use in an idealistic approach when others clearly aren't following along with this liberalized view of a melting pot.

When the cultures you're trying to impose this utopian/idealistic "melting pot" thought process upon selectively segregate themselves via ethnic/racial based criteria, there comes to be an inevitable conflict.

Normally an intellectual immigrant will seek out their place to live based on logical criteria such as availability of jobs (relative to their skills), or perhaps something more objective like climate (I stand drier climate far better than humid -- as one example), and not base where they move on ethnic/race criteria. Yet clearly that's the case for a handful of very large Canadian cities.

So there's no use in an idealistic approach when others clearly aren't following along with this liberalized view of a melting pot.

I understand that they don't follow that philosophy when they move here. Which is I'm complaining about it. I wouldn't move to China and not learn the language and expect to turn it into little Canada.

I understand that they don't follow that philosophy when they move here. Which is I'm complaining about it. I wouldn't move to China and not learn the language and expect to turn it into little Canada.

It would certainly be expected for people to identify more easily with people who know a familiar language and have familiar customs, but indeed, the assimilation factor breeds contempt if it's a one-sided thing. It's expected one bring their culture with them, which I think is part of social improvement/evolution (which is the benefit of having immigrants to begin with), but when they go overboard with retaining their culture to the point of not reciprocating the interpersonal aspect of assimilation, they should undoubtedly be taken to task for it.

It would certainly be expected for people to identify more easily with people who know a familiar language and have familiar customs, but indeed, the assimilation factor breeds contempt if it's a one-sided thing. It's expected one bring their culture with them, which I think is part of social improvement/evolution (which is the benefit of having immigrants to begin with), but when they go overboard with retaining their culture to the point of not reciprocating the interpersonal aspect of assimilation, they should undoubtedly be taken to task for it.

Hence the term 'melting pot'. Its a collection of cultures mixed together to create a single whole, as opposed to individual, specific ones occupying the same space.

Hence the term 'melting pot'. Its a collection of cultures mixed together to create a single whole, as opposed to individual, specific ones occupying the same space.

It's really funny that (besides the Northeast), Calgary represents more of a true melting pot than the GTA and GVA. I just smirk about that any time people stereotype this town as redneck. :)

It's really funny that (besides the Northeast), Calgary represents more of a true melting pot than the GTA and GVA. I just smirk about that any time people stereotype this town as redneck. :)

Calgary still is redneck. Its not really any more of a melting pot than Van or T.O., just more white.

Calgary still is redneck. Its not really any more of a melting pot than Van or T.O., just more white.

The people that immigrate here, far more often than not, are engaged in social functions because Calgarians appreciate and reciprocate such behaviour (this blends with the economy of Calgary that is more open to accepting foreign credentials whereas the GVA and GTA, just to name two, are very belligerent about "Canadian" education and "Canadian experience" with awful criteria surrounding that -- which is why so many skilled immigrants prefer Calgary than anywhere else in Canada). The GTA and GVA pride themselves on the superficial aspects of simply "having" different ethnic/racial and cultural background that hardly intermingle (which is pretty useless to me and begging for culture clash -- reminds me of when I moved to the US for a while, the same thing afflicts California). Which is why you have such vast towns of foreign ethnic drive that want to put things in a foreign language without any regard for disrespecting the customs of a country they're moving to.

Unfortunately for the GTA and GVA, for them to understand their problem will require introspection, and if there's one thing leftists (that permeate these two regions) are really bad at doing, it's introspection.

The people that immigrate here, far more often than not, are engaged in social functions because Calgarians appreciate and reciprocate such behaviour (this blends with the economy of Calgary that is more open to accepting foreign credentials whereas the GVA and GTA, just to name two, are very belligerent about "Canadian" education and "Canadian experience" with awful criteria surrounding that -- which is why so many skilled immigrants prefer Calgary than anywhere else in Canada. The GTA and GVA pride themselves on the superficial aspects of simply "having" different cultures that hardly intermingle (which is pretty useless to me and begging for culture clash -- reminds me of when I moved to the US for a while, the same thing afflicts California). Which is why you have such vast towns of foreign ethnic drive that want to put things in a foreign language without any regard for disrespecting the customs of a country they're moving to.

Unfortunately for the GTA and GVA, for them to understand their problem will require introspection, and if there's one thing leftists are really bad at doing, it's introspection.

Or maybe its because theres so much money pumping through Calgary due to the oil boom.

I also think its funny that you chalked it up to 'Leftists'

So the oil makes people in Calgary respect each other more? If that's the case, spread that crap around.

The oil entices people to move there over other Canadian cities not because Calgarians are nicer or somehow more respectful people. I know quite a few people who have moved out there because of the money to be made.

I just think its funny that you chalk it up to "Leftism". :rolleyes:

The people that immigrate here, far more often than not, are engaged in social functions because Calgarians appreciate and reciprocate such behaviour (this blends with the economy of Calgary that is more open to accepting foreign credentials whereas the GVA and GTA, just to name two, are very belligerent about "Canadian" education and "Canadian experience" with awful criteria surrounding that -- which is why so many skilled immigrants prefer Calgary than anywhere else in Canada). The GTA and GVA pride themselves on the superficial aspects of simply "having" different ethnic/racial and cultural background that hardly intermingle (which is pretty useless to me and begging for culture clash -- reminds me of when I moved to the US for a while, the same thing afflicts California). Which is why you have such vast towns of foreign ethnic drive that want to put things in a foreign language without any regard for disrespecting the customs of a country they're moving to.

Unfortunately for the GTA and GVA, for them to understand their problem will require introspection, and if there's one thing leftists (that permeate these two regions) are really bad at doing, it's introspection.

FFS, did you really turn this into another Left-Right issue?

Archived