The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese-only sign reignites language debate in Richmond, B.C.

DonLever

People really need to get over this petty stuff. I mean a different language on an ad, OH MY GOD...

We are living in the 21st century, its 2014 and the slavery days are over. We live in a global community. Canada and America are the Western models of multicultural society but it isn't just those two countries. You have Britain, some African countries and even some Arab countries like UAE, China that is starting to accept people of different cultures and race. Those countries also have English in most of their signages. Should they also eradicate the English language (that isn't their official language) in favour of their official and native language? No, because that will take away from global communication, global tourism and more importantly global business. Its the same idea in Canada and we should not just have our only official language on signs or ads.

Assimilation goes against diversity and it goes against multiculturalism. People migrate here due to their freedom of religion, speech and freedom to do what they want without persecution. What you want goes against the rights and freedoms that we have in Canada.

Just so long as you don't beat women or eat dogs right? Multiculturalism has and needs limitations. You make it sound like people can come here and do whatever they want.

Just so long as you don't beat women or eat dogs right? Multiculturalism has and needs limitations. You make it sound like people can come here and do whatever they want.

I don't believe he was alluding to that.. Just a misinterpretation on your end. What I think he was saying is that people have no right to tell someone on how they should integrate themselves into society. Everyone is different. As long as you contribute to society in a positive way and don't break any laws or moral grounds, There should be no issue.

And that is a generalization on your end (bold part).

But Canada isn't a melting pot like US. Canada is considered a cultural mosaic. Its what separates us from our neighbours to the south and what makes us truly unique. It is also why a lot of different nationalities like Canada or want to immigrate into Canada instead of going to US. Why would you want to change that?

And a cultural mosaic is a stupid idea, because it just creates a schism in society. A cultural melting pot is one where all cultures are integrated. A mosaic is where everyone sticks to their own kind. Having those kind of differences really isn't good for society.

Feel free to take your own advice and stuff a cork in it, if you don't like someone's posts you can block them.

I couldn't give any less of a toss about what you find important, there is a difference between going to a country, keeping your identity, and assimilating to where you live, and trying to simply retain all things from one's former country. The latter is going to cause conflicts, but I don't expect people like you to get it.

Lastly, I should show my wife that post, I'm sure she (a Chinese woman) would laugh pretty nicely at the punchline of inanity you provided there at the end. :lol:

So if it causes conflicts, what are you going to do about? Oh i know, absolutely NOTHING.

The only people that whine and complain about immigrants are the average everyday people, like yourself. People in power, people that actually matter, know how important immigrants are to Canada and U.S.A.

So if it causes conflicts, what are you going to do about? Oh i know, absolutely NOTHING. You and Donald Sterling would get along great!

Surely you and Nancy Grace are long-lost twin sisters with an excellent mastery of dramatics. :lol:

The only people that whine and complain about immigrants are the average everyday people, like yourself. People in power, people that actually matter, know how important immigrants are to Canada and U.S.A.

If you're going to make such an effort to belittle someone, you should do so from a position where you aren't already on equal footing, at best.

Secondly, I would advise you read posts where I detailed that indeed immigrants are important, but the type of immigrants that refuse to obey laws and customs of a country they immigrate to are the useless type.

And given I can vote for PC who are in the process of making it much harder for people like that to attain citizenship (thank you bill C-24 -- hope it is passed by the end of the year), and are thankfully revoking TRV's to give more preference to Canadians, I'd offer a rebuttal that I'm anything but powerless.

Surely you and Nancy Grace are long-lost twin sisters with an excellent mastery of dramatics. :lol:

If you're going to make such an effort to belittle someone, you should do so from a position where you aren't already on equal footing, at best.

Secondly, I would advise you read posts where I detailed that indeed immigrants are important, but the type of immigrants that refuse to obey laws and customs of a country they immigrate to are the useless type.

And given I can vote for PC who are in the process of making it much harder for people like that to attain citizenship (thank you bill C-24 -- hope it is passed by the end of the year), and are thankfully revoking TRV's to give more preference to Canadians, I'd offer a rebuttal that I'm anything but powerless.

lol alright you do what you gotta do Donald Sterling....i'll just sit back and see if anything changes

So if it causes conflicts, what are you going to do about? Oh i know, absolutely NOTHING.

Lol "people that actually matter" dumbest thing I've read in this entire thread.

Archived