The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese-only sign reignites language debate in Richmond, B.C.

DonLever

No we are not being over sensitive.

I mean for crying out loud man. Look at the state of things as it is.

Try opening a shop in Richmond without traditional Asian signage or languages, you'll not get half the business you should.

This all starts somewhere.

Imagine opening a whites only store, or a christians only meeting group, imagine demanding more rights for being a caucasian.

You're a racist a bigot and a disgusting individual

Now, apply ALL of the same to both the Chinese and Hindi population of the lower mainland. All of those kinds of places exist. Specific places of worship, meeting, shopping And it is acceptable and if you question it you're told to be more sensitive to the issue

It's not a new issue and this ad only highlights the issue as it stands.

You are being sensitive. What is the big deal here? Being upset over a little sign when there are more important things in the world to worry about.

And comparing other countries like China is like comparing apples to oranges. Other countries don't have an official Multicultural Policy like Canada. If you don't like what is going on, get rid of the Multicultural program started by Trudeau and the Liberals.

So who are you going to vote for? The NDP, Liberals. Conservatives are support the Multicultural Policy of Canada.

Nope

Because of Canada's language laws ALL advertising and store frontage needs to be recognizable in english. This is a serious source of issue in central and Eastern Quebec where the predominant language is french but they ALL have to be in english as well.

Honestly, we give up WAY to frigging much kow towing to every single frigging special interest or minority group out there.

My kid almost couldn't say Merry Christmas or Happy Halloween. Now no english speaking signs, single religion schools, exclusive stores that cater only to specific and recognized minority.

This is kind of frigging offensive really.

I refuse to be more "sensitive" to the issue

If you want to be Canadian, be Canadian. This includes our holidays our values or laws and our language laws.

Come on man. The hypocrisy is flowing through you. You are telling people not be so sensitive and then you are talking about how offensive a simple teeth whitening ad is.

This is a corporation tailoring an ad to a demographic that they have chosen. Its not as if they are giving instructions for a product recall in a different language.

Crest is a subsidiary of Procter and Gamble. A good old American company. It is not as if this is some immigrant family refusing to adapt to Canadian lifestyle. It is a Western company choosing to target a particular demographic.

But, at the end of the day, you are free to feel what you want to feel.

Sometimes when I'm out and about I think to myself: "I cannot believe white people are the minority a lot of times in the Lower Mainland."

Take a look around on public transit. I hear more Mandarin than English on the Canada Line.

Don't even get me started on UBC ;).

So you are bother by people who speak Mandarin? Why?

As for UBC, Asian kids go to university at higher proportions than white kids so you will see more of them there.

So you are bother by people who speak Mandarin? Why?

As for UBC, Asian kids go to university at higher proportions than white kids so you will see more of them there.

i for one have no issue people speaking their own language the issue i have is those people that flat out refuse to learn any English at all walk into stores in Canada and expect them to help them and they get mad when nobody understands them

anywhere else in the world people are somewhat expected to learn the language and if you wanna live their you better learn it because nobody is going to be hiring English workers for our benefit

but when people come here it seems it is all backwards and Canada is expected to pretty much supply every single language in every single store because people that come to live here flat out refuse to learn English

Then don't go to Richmond.

I happen to like the place and it has never bothered me that there are businesses that cater to Chinese people in Chinese languages. It doesn't affect me one bit so why make an issue out of it?

Why would I not go to Richmond? That's just as stupid as me saying Chinese people shouldn't live in Richmond, or even Canada as a whole. If you want to keep your language/culture COMPLETELY, you've literally got your own Country for that. Why come to Canada if you don't want to merge with the culture you're entering?

Now, as I previously mentioned... this doesn't mean losing your cultural identity as a whole; that's far from what I'm saying. We have parts of town set aside for different cultures. We also have different cultural events for respective cultures, which Canadians around the world embrace and celebrate. But day to day activities, you should segregate to the Canadian lifestyle (ie. bilingual language, etc.)

If you can't understand it, then don't buy their product.

Companies should be able to advertise in whatever language they want. As long as warning labels and instructions include both of Canada's official languages, the advertising doesn't matter.

No kidding. If company x wants to ignore half the population, that's their choice.

That's why I said 'most'. Quebec language laws are worthy of their own thread.

Did you hear the one where a frozen yogurt place was in trouble from the language police because their plastic spoons only had English writing on them?

http://globalnews.ca/news/660744/quebec-language-police-target-frozen-yogurt-spoons/

Oh, I must have missed that part of your post.

My bad.

You are being sensitive. What is the big deal here? Being upset over a little sign when there are more important things in the world to worry about.

And comparing other countries like China is like comparing apples to oranges. Other countries don't have an official Multicultural Policy like Canada. If you don't like what is going on, get rid of the Multicultural program started by Trudeau and the Liberals.

So who are you going to vote for? The NDP, Liberals. Conservatives are support the Multicultural Policy of Canada.

I never made a comparison to China.

And while there are more important things to deal with, this is the story i choose to comment on at this point in time.

I also don't have a problem with a multicultural society provided it is multicultural.

choosing to distance yourself from the society you choose to immigrate to or in the case of this advertiser; eschewing the entire language in which said culture exists is kind of hypocritical.

I have no issues with anyone of any race, creed, colour religion. I have issues with advertisers pushing this out in the open. I have issues with people who tell us to be "more sensitive to the issue" and I have issues with groups who want just a little bit more at all times, be it french white hindi or the like. You're not a special interest group....you're a group of A-Holes who want the rules changed to better suit your mindset.

I can't understand with the sensitivity this clearly brings up why Chinese, Hindi or others would want to tolerate it either, it invokes clear dislike and hatered even. Why would you want to do this...as a Chinese or Hindu....it's just going to make life more complicted for yourself ?? It serves little purpose and can do considerable harm

Why would I not go to Richmond?

Because you said "I don't want to travel to richmond and see chinese writing for advertisements all over the place without being able to understand it."

So don't go to Richmond. Problem solved.

If I wanted everything to exactly reflect my own culture and beliefs 100% of the time, I would never be able to leave my home. But that's not me. Part of what I love about Canada is that it is a mosaic. You can go all over Canada and see all sorts of cultures and traditions from all over the world.

It's an oversight ... move on. If you want, slap an increasing fine to the company for breaking the rules. There are more important things in life than this.

Oversight? Yeah they just didn't realize the text in their ad was in Cantonese. Spell check must have missed that.

I think if we all take a large step back and be objective.

The big issue here is that a major corp is allowing an ad group to do this in flagrant abuse of canada's language laws.

If anything it comes all the way back to the fact that big companies just don't have a frigging clue

Because you said "I don't want to travel to richmond and see chinese writing for advertisements all over the place without being able to understand it."

So don't go to Richmond. Problem solved.

If I wanted everything to exactly reflect my own culture and beliefs 100% of the time, I would never be able to leave my home. But that's not me. Part of what I love about Canada is that it is a mosaic. You can go all over Canada and see all sorts of cultures and traditions from all over the world.

Damn straight,

Why the f$#k would he (or she, no gender bias) want to go to Richmond in the first place?

Aside from the ball room at Ikea there's nothing there worth p!ss&^ng on,

My apologies for the potty mouth, but I haven't slept in 48 hours

Completely disagree. I don't want to travel to richmond and see chinese writing for advertisements all over the place without being able to understand it. I live in Canada, not China.

This goes for Surrey too, except it's not as big as a problem compared to Richmond.

Is is really that personal to you? Its advertisement...who cares.

I seriously doubt that you care about ads so why is this so problematic?

Well, this is a 21st century version of what our ancestors did to the natives,

So I guess Karma has finally come to kick our a$$

I vote Kits for the first white-man reservation!

Look on the bright side, at least we won't have to pay taxes anymore.

Of course, when the white settlers came to Canada, did they bother to learn the aboriginal's people's language? They actually tried to kill their language by sending them to residential schools where there were not allowed to speak their own language. Now we have the descendants of those white settlers saying you should speak our language. What hypocrisy!

Archived