The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese-only sign reignites language debate in Richmond, B.C.

DonLever

I don't mind Chinese only signs if the context is right. For example, shops at Yaohan Centre or Crystal Mall where the shop owner can barely speak English himself.But this is on public grounds and by a large corporation. They have no excuse to not have that translated, as they have more than enough resources to have someone do it. This isn't some ragtag Ma and Pa shop scraping to get by and making makeshift signs on scrap pieces of cardboard.

No, that should not be acceptable. If someone doesnt understand the Chinese sign they would feel that they arent welcomed or shouldnt be there. May as well write on the sign, Chinese only. Sure have your Chinese sign, but English should have to be there as well, smaller or off to the side, fine, but at least its there.

No, that should not be acceptable. If someone doesnt understand the Chinese sign they would feel that they arent welcomed or shouldnt be there. May as well write on the sign, Chinese only. Sure have your Chinese sign, but English should have to be there as well, smaller or off to the side, fine, but at least its there.

I agree with this one.. Some foreign stores you have no idea what they are even selling because of lack of transparency.. As for advertising that is a complete different issue as you could most likely tell its a crest ad,etc..

Wow, I can't believe people are getting bothered by this ad. That company paid money to put up a Chinese ad there, they can do whatever they want. They can put up a picture of dancing red dragons up there for all I care.

Same rule applies for those businesses in Richmond without an English sign. It's their business, they can cater their products/services to whoever they want as long as their actual business practices follow Canadian law.

This whole language thing goes both ways. I remember a news story a few months back where a Chinese lady whined about not getting service at McDonalds because the employee couldn't understand her crappy English. That was her fault and if she wants to get served by English speaking businesses then she should learn to speak the language. But if people like her are content without learning English and only going to Chinese businesses in Richmond then so be it.

What are English subtitles going to do anyways? It's not like it's going to entice non-Asians to pay attention to the ads. These people can do whatever they want, it's their money.

Anything in Canada that is not in one of our official languages only promotes further segregation of different cultures. Since we are in a French and English speaking country we should be working towards everyone having the ability to communicate with at least one of our languages. In no way am I saying immigrants native tongues should be abolished or outlawed but English and French should be the only languages promoted in ads, government buildings, etc. There are several government funded programs that are readily available for all immigrants to learn our languages and it is those two languages that should be promoted and used publicly on any government or publicly funded body. Translink is to my knowledge at least partially tax payer funded and therefore any ads on bus stops, skytrains etc should be in our official languages.

Failure to promote them only encourages new Canadians to neglect learning them. I have two co-workers who have been in Canada for most of their lives and still struggle to speak, write and understand any English or French. In my eyes, there is no excuse for that.

Again, I support immigration as well as tolerance and acceptance but there is a line to be drawn. Effort must be made to learn everything that Canada is about when you come to this country, including the languages.

There is a reason why when I was in highschool teachers were not to allow students to speak in any language other than French Canadian and English. That reason was to promote educating everyone on our languages so that they may be more successful in our society and understanding of the culture and social norms already laid out in our country. Again i cannot stress enough, I am pro immigration and fully supportive of all races, cultures and creeds having equal opportunity in Canada.

As a marketing management graduate, I can say it looks like to me, they are making advertisements to speak to certain demographic. That's kinda the point of advertising to get a message across.

I could care less about an ad at a bus stop.

My issue is people "immigrating" to Canada, when all they are really doing is letting Canada be a daycare and school for their kids, while the parents go to China or overseas to make money. They don't invest in making jobs here, try to settle here, or even try to contribute to making Canada better.

We're just a pit stop, so their kids get cheap education, make money on flipping the house here. I want people to immigrate here because they want to live here, work here, create new jobs, add new skills, and contribute to our society in general.

I understand that's not everyone, but I do see a helluva a lot of people doing that. Maybe immigration should be looking at bringing more engineers, doctors, technicians, you know people to start businesses here and make money and jobs here in Canada for a change?

As a marketing management graduate, I can say it looks like to me, they are making advertisements to speak to certain demographic. That's kinda the point of advertising to get a message across.

My issue is people "immigrating" to Canada, when all they are really doing is letting Canada be a daycare and school for their kids, while the parents go to China or overseas to make money. They don't invest in making jobs here, try to settle here, or even try to contribute to making Canada better.

We're just a pit stop, so their kids get cheap education, make money on flipping the house here. I want people to immigrate here because they want to live here, work here, create new jobs, add new skills, and contribute to our society in general.

I understand that's not everyone, but I do see a helluva a lot of people doing that. Maybe immigration should be looking at bringing more engineers, doctors, technicians, you know people to start businesses here and make money and jobs here in Canada for a change?

Agreed. Although, sure as hell contributed to the Vancouver real estate market.

Agree especially the last bit. Unfortunately we don't have a proper system in place that accredits people who are doctors or engineers in their home country to practice here in Canada.

Anything in Canada that is not in one of our official languages only promotes further segregation of different cultures. Since we are in a French and English speaking country we should be working towards everyone having the ability to communicate with at least one of our languages. In no way am I saying immigrants native tongues should be abolished or outlawed but English and French should be the only languages promoted in ads, government buildings, etc. There are several government funded programs that are readily available for all immigrants to learn our languages and it is those two languages that should be promoted and used publicly on any government or publicly funded body. Translink is to my knowledge at least partially tax payer funded and therefore any ads on bus stops, skytrains etc should be in our official languages.

Failure to promote them only encourages new Canadians to neglect learning them. I have two co-workers who have been in Canada for most of their lives and still struggle to speak, write and understand any English or French. In my eyes, there is no excuse for that.

Again, I support immigration as well as tolerance and acceptance but there is a line to be drawn. Effort must be made to learn everything that Canada is about when you come to this country, including the languages.

There is a reason why when I was in highschool teachers were not to allow students to speak in any language other than French Canadian and English. That reason was to promote educating everyone on our languages so that they may be more successful in our society and understanding of the culture and social norms already laid out in our country. Again i cannot stress enough, I am pro immigration and fully supportive of all races, cultures and creeds having equal opportunity in Canada.

Well from experience I know most immigrants that can't speak English or French are usually they elderly ones. Most recent immigrants nowadays have a good grasp on English or French as the standards have changed from 20 years ago. Before any dropout in their home country could come here. Now you need money and most of these people who are immigrants and have money are fluent in English or French. Refugees are another story though..

The thing about the ones that can't speak or communicate properly in English or French know already their options are limited hence why they work in fast food areas or segregated ethnic communities. I know someone who was a doctor in India but can't practice in Canada because the government doesn't accept where he gained his degree from as they deem his education outdated. He could apply to receive further training to approve his skills but he also needs to work to pay his bills..

The good news is that their children usually become bilingual and the issues slowly dissolve as the family becomes integrated within society.

Still don't like the sign on this premise - (based on conversations I've had with members of the South Asian community whom I have respect for.) The gist was basically that they were saying they knew people who bragged that they could spend their entire lives in (insert neighborhood) without ever speaking anything than their original language.

While that alone is a heartening testament to Canada's cultural mosaic it is, in fact, segregating a portion of the society by enabling them to not integrate with the country they have chosen to move to. Thus, putting them at a significant disadvantage in various situations. Conversely, they rely too heavily upon bilingual members of their own culture who are then have the ability to take advantage of a sizable power imbalance. IE if they cannot speak the official language - they are unable to advocate for themselves.

I know it's a lot to extrapolate from a single sign - but there are advantages to having a common language uniting us as Canadian - and not every effort to resist non-Canadian language is fear/bigotry/xenophobia/etc.

Oh, and to people pushing the "other language in another country" angle - the USA's cultural and economic dominance negates your assertions. It's not about fairness or tolerance - rather demand.

White Canada Forever, amirite?

Hardly. White people have no right to a piece of ground on which to live and to to preserve their customs and traditions. Not even in Europe, which is the only region on God's earth that has no indigenous population. White people lack moral legitimacy and must yield their ground to non whites!

Still don't like the sign on this premise - (based on conversations I've had with members of the South Asian community whom I have respect for.) The gist was basically that they were saying they knew people who bragged that they could spend their entire lives in (insert neighborhood) without ever speaking anything than their original language.

While that alone is a heartening testament to Canada's cultural mosaic it is, in fact, segregating a portion of the society by enabling them to not integrate with the country they have chosen to move to. Thus, putting them at a significant disadvantage in various situations. Conversely, they rely too heavily upon bilingual members of their own culture who are then have the ability to take advantage of a sizable power imbalance. IE if they cannot speak the official language - they are unable to advocate for themselves.

I know it's a lot to extrapolate from a single sign - but there are advantages to having a common language uniting us as Canadian - and not every effort to resist non-Canadian language is fear/bigotry/xenophobia/etc.

Oh, and to people pushing the "other language in another country" angle - the USA's cultural and economic dominance negates your assertions. It's not about fairness or tolerance - rather demand.

I have no issues with a common language in Canada, but the bolded statement is bit off. What do you mean taken advantage of? There are many lawyers, doctors, etc.. that are bilingual and live nearby or in these segregated ethnic communities. I never heard a such case where someone who couldn't speak English or French being taking advantage of in these communities. If you were alluding to criminal activity then sure these people are vulnerable.

IMO a person who can't communicate in English or French takes a considerable risk when they come here. Often times the risk is better than the current situation they live in. They know what there getting themselves into..

Also for those that say we have programs that can help people learn a new language etc... Its really not that simple. First learning a new language is very difficult. These immigrants often have to work long hours before properly settling in Canada. Theres no time for them to learn especially if they are older.. It's like when they try to teach us French or Spanish in High School the result isn't pretty at the end..

I have no issues with a common language in Canada, but the bolded statement is bit off. What do you mean taken advantage of? There are many lawyers, doctors, etc.. that are bilingual and live nearby or in these segregated ethnic communities. IMO a person who can't communicate in English or French takes a considerable risk when they come here. Often times the risk is better than the current situation they live in. They know what there getting themselves into..

Also for those that say we have programs that can help people learn a new language etc... Its really not that simple. First learning a new language is very difficult. These immigrants often have to work long hours before properly settling in Canada. Theres no time for them to learn especially if they are older.. It's like when they try to teach us French or Spanish in High School the result isn't pretty at the end..

I mean if you can't speak an official language you stand the risk of being taken advantage of by people of your own culture. Since you lack the skill, knowledge and confidence to plead your case you're basically at their mercy. Anybody can rip people off in our society but the diversification allows us to choose who we do business with - if you are stuck within your own culture group you severely restrict your options. I know most people look out for each other - but we all know there are those of any group who will take advantage - and people marginalized by a language barrier are more at risk

Your second point goes exactly with what I'm saying - easiest way to learn a language is via immersion - and areas that enable people to avoid learning English run the risk of doing as much harm as good.

I mean if you can't speak an official language you stand the risk of being taken advantage of by people of your own culture. Since you lack the skill, knowledge and confidence to plead your case you're basically at their mercy. Anybody can rip people off in our society but the diversification allows us to choose who we do business with - if you are stuck within your own culture group you severely restrict your options. I know most people look out for each other - but we all know there are those of any group who will take advantage - and people marginalized by a language barrier are more at risk

Your second point goes exactly with what I'm saying - easiest way to learn a language is via immersion - and areas that enable people to avoid learning English run the risk of doing as much harm as good.

Yes but how do you suggest they get their feet in the ground? My take with these neighbourhoods is that morally they should be a place for someone to start their new life in Canada until they are properly settled (Financially,etc..) then they should move out and integrate with the rest of the population. Most people in the South Asian community look out for one another. If you're alluding to criminal activity then sure they are vulnerable.. But I have yet to hear of a story of people being swindled in these communities. Especially with rise of educated bilingual people who are sons or daughters of these immigrants..

I think for one to truly understand whats goes on in such communities or neighbourhoods is to mingle more with the people that lives there. Not just depend on opinions from some members of the south asian communities. Im no expert myself as I live on the Island, but I have a large amount family who live close or in these neighbourhoods, as with any South Asian.

Archived