The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bishop, Rask, Varlamov named Vezina Trophy finalists

Apples

Wow that's a really really hard choice since all 3 had such a dominant year. I think it should go to Rask because he stood on his head the entire year. Varlamov does have 41 wins and Bishop lead that team to the post season.

All 3 have a chance at it, but if I had to pick 1 it'd be Tuukka Rask

Price had slightly better stats than Varlamov and should've been nominated over him IMO

You're joking, right? Price actually has an NHL defence in front of him. Varly has 3 NHL D (and Barrie can still be an adventure in his own zone at times) and a bunch of scrubs. Varly is a legitimate Hart candidate since he and Roy are 90% of the reason the team went from 29th to 3rd. The team defied all the odds and flew in the face of advanced stats (up until the last two games) all year because he went into full on jesus mode. He was something insane like 10-1 when facing 40 shots. Price may have had a slightly better GAA and more shutouts but they had the same percentage and in one more start Varly managed to rack up 7 more wins behind a vastly inferior defence.

Are you kidding? Varly is the only reason they made the playoffs.

Are you kidding? They had the third highest point total in the league and the 4th best offence...

I think Rask wins it. It shouldn't matter, but I think Varly's legal problems this season will hurt him in the voting.

Are you kidding? They had the third highest point total in the league and the 4th best offence...

I think Rask wins it. It shouldn't matter, but I think Varly's legal problems this season will hurt him in the voting.

They were also one of the worst puck possession teams in the league.

No. He's not. Avs had a 28-4-8 record in one goal games. 35 of the 52 wins came while being outshot and our winning percentage was significantly better (.761 vs .500) when outshot. Despite being near the bottom in shots against (6th worst), we were middle of the pack in goals against (15th). At best this team would have been fighting for the last wild card spot if not for Varly's heroics.

Rask is a good goalie but like everyone else said, you gotta consider he plays in front of a stacked defence so his stats are inflated. Check out the numbers of their backup goalie, Chad Johnson (bet most of you never heard of him), 17-4-3, 2 SO, .925%, and a 2.10 GAA.

Rask is a good goalie but like everyone else said, you gotta consider he plays in front of a stacked defence so his stats are inflated. Check out the numbers of their backup goalie, Chad Johnson (bet most of you never heard of him), 17-4-3, 2 SO, .925%, and a 2.10 GAA.

Does it matter? The vezina award is probably the most biased award in the league. The way the voting system works, eastern goalies will have a huge advantage over western goalies if they have similar stats. All you need to do is to look at how many goalies on the west side wins the award in the last 20 years

Rask will win, it shouldn't even be a question.

Does it matter? The vezina award is probably the most biased award in the league. The way the voting system works, eastern goalies will have a huge advantage over western goalies if they have similar stats. All you need to do is to look at how many goalies on the west side wins the award in the last 20 years

Rask will win, it shouldn't even be a question.

How does the voting system work?

this, Varlamov only started 2 more games than Rask but he faced 372 more shots than Rask did.

Varlamov should be a lock. Just cuz Rask has better numbers doesn't mean he was the team's most valuable asset in terms of defence. Varlamov went on a rampage this year and was pretty much one of the biggest reasons why their in the playoffs. I'm not saying it's easy to have the numbers Rask has because of Boston's defensive minded game, but Colorado's defence is mediocre.

Varlamov should be a lock. Just cuz Rask has better numbers doesn't mean he was the team's most valuable asset in terms of defence. Varlamov went on a rampage this year and was pretty much one of the biggest reasons why their in the playoffs. I'm not saying it's easy to have the numbers Rask has because of Boston's defensive minded game, but Colorado's defence is mediocre.

the last time any western goalie had won the award was in 2005 when Kiprusoff posted a GAA of 2.05 and SV% of .92

Before that, any western goalie to win that award would date way back to 93.

There is almost no way that Varlamov could win the award especialy when he posted worse number than Rask.

Should Varlamov win it? maybe. Will he? The chance isn't in his favour.

the last time any western goalie had won the award was in 2005 when Kiprusoff posted a GAA of 2.05 and SV% of .92

Before that, any western goalie to win that award would date way back to 93.

There is almost no way that Varlamov could win the award especialy when he posted worse number than Rask.

Should Varlamov win it? maybe. Will he? The chance isn't in his favour.

Bobrovsky won it last year when CBJ was in the west.

Archived