The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hur Remake Heads To The Big Screen in 2016

DonLever

NEW YORK — Mark Burnett and Roma Downey will produce a new version of the historical epic Ben-Hur, as the faith-based film revival continues on the big screen.

Paramount Pictures and MGM announced Friday that they will co-produce Ben-Hur with Burnett and Downey, who also made the recent miniseries The Bible. The film is set for release in February 2016.

Lewis Wallace’s 1880 novel has been adapted several times, most notably the 1959 film starring Charlton Heston. Famous for its chariot race scene, the film won 11 Academy Awards, including best picture.

Burnett and Downey also produced the recently released film Son of God, which used footage from The Bible.

Paramount has helped drive Hollywood’s new attention to biblical epics with Darren Aronofsky’s Noah. It recently crossed $300 million in global box office.

© Copyright © The Calgary Herald

Actually this will be the 3rd version of the Ben Hur Classic. There was a silent screen version in 1925 in addition to the the 1959 epic starring Charleton Heston.

Recycling old movies is nothing new to Hollywood. But I doubt they wil equal the 1959 Ben Hur Chariot Race because they are going to use computer graphics for this one.

Whatever. They think they can do better than William Wyler with Charlton Heston in the lead? Good luck. Get Marky Mark to wisecrack his way through this one, add $100 million worth of CGI and call it a done deal.

Ill probably go and see it anyways cuzz Im a sucker for chariot races.

The 1959 one was 3 1/2 hours long. Are modern audiences willing to sit still that long?

NEW YORK — Mark Burnett and Roma Downey will produce a new version of the historical epic Ben-Hur, as the faith-based film revival continues on the big screen.

Paramount Pictures and MGM announced Friday that they will co-produce Ben-Hur with Burnett and Downey, who also made the recent miniseries The Bible. The film is set for release in February 2016.

Lewis Wallace’s 1880 novel has been adapted several times, most notably the 1959 film starring Charlton Heston. Famous for its chariot race scene, the film won 11 Academy Awards, including best picture.

Burnett and Downey also produced the recently released film Son of God, which used footage from The Bible.

Paramount has helped drive Hollywood’s new attention to biblical epics with Darren Aronofsky’s Noah. It recently crossed $300 million in global box office.

© Copyright © The Calgary Herald

is this a thing now? only noteworthy one i can think of is noah?

How is Hollywood running out of movies?

They could easily make an accurate historical drama/movie on any time period, featuring a particular country with a token American that happens to be around the scene.

But that's not happening.

Big budgets don't come from real storytelling.

There has to be other stories to be told.

Other books?

Other writers?

I've seen three attempts at books by Arturo Perez-Reverte. Maybe a better scriptwriter? Because his stories are top notch.

An English version of the Fencing Master would be amazing.

The Ninth Gate was ok..but it only delved on one side of the story.

No! God-damn it!

The last Ben-Hur won 11 Academy Awards, I can't imagine the remake doing anything remotely close to that.

What's amazing about that movie is that it was all done without any CGI. I can almost guarantee this new one will suck donkey with all CGI, poor acting and they're probably gonna screw up the Jesus part... knowing how PC things are nowadays.

It's all they do re-makes classics... there is like no fresh ideas from that place.

New original movies come out all the time. But because the average moviegoer is 18 years old prepackaged crap is what sells and the further you get from that type of movie the less of an audience you will have.

It's all they do re-makes classics... there is like no fresh ideas from that place.

A remake of All Quiet on the Western front is supposedly in the works as well, the actor who played Harry Potter is supposed to be Paul Baumer (seem like an ok choice to me), but I can't think of any current actor who could play Kat.

How is Hollywood running out of movies?

They could easily make an accurate historical drama/movie on any time period, featuring a particular country with a token American that happens to be around the scene.

Lincoln (2012) comes to mind as a accurate historical movie but that took Steven Spielberg and Daniel Day-Lewis, two of the all time bests, to pull it off. Critically and commercially successful.

It takes a lot of good work to make a decent historically accurate movie. Most attempts are failures or complete bastardizations of the facts. 300(2006) is a prime example. Im pretty sure the Spartans werent a bunch of wisecracking male strippers but it made a lot of money. Enough for sequels anyways.

Top ten grossing movies of 2013 - only 2, Disneys Frozen and Gravity were original script movies. The rest were sequels. (based on North American gross only). That is why Hollywood makes Sequels. They sell. Im sure Frozen will have sequels too.

Lincoln (2012) comes to mind as a accurate historical movie but that took Steven Spielberg and Daniel Day-Lewis, two of the all time bests, to pull it off. Critically and commercially successful.

It takes a lot of good work to make a decent historically accurate movie. Most attempts are failures or complete bastardizations of the facts. 300(2006) is a prime example. Im pretty sure the Spartans werent a bunch of wisecracking male strippers but it made a lot of money. Enough for sequels anyways.

Spielberg has made a career out of re-imagining history. so in calling him an "all time best" you obviously can't be opposed to bastardization of history for entertainment's sake?

The Ninth Gate was ok..but it only delved on one side of the story.

Yeah, I loved the book, but was thoroughly creeped out by the movie. And they completely took out the Dumas aspect of the book. It's not that I didn't enjoy the movie, but I wouldn't mind a "re-make" that actually follows the plot of the book.

Archived