The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

George Clooney Announces Engagement -Years After He Vowed Never To Get Married Again

DonLever

I'm critizing celebrity obsession. But, if I were, why do you care? I actually don't care for her looks but neither do I care what some other man finds attractive. What you really need to be asking is why is this in our mainstream media?

Come on. You were criticizing both. I won't speak for GLASSJAW, but myself and I think other people in this thread found it ironic that you were criticizing celebrity obsession and then subsequently made a comment about a woman's appearance, something that is the very basis of celebrity gossip columns/celebrity obsession. Also, it just seemed rude and unnecessary, though I personally took no offence.

Also, this came from an AP Entertainment writer, not the Atlantic. The article doesn't seem to surprising.

To be honest, caring about the Canucks is probably no more productive than caring about celebrities.

I'm critizing celebrity obsession. But, if I were, why do you care? I actually don't care for her looks but neither do I care what some other man finds attractive. What you really need to be asking is why is this in our mainstream media?

when you say a non-celebrity woman "looks like a malnourished boy" with "caterpillar eyebrows" you are not criticizing anything other than what the woman looks like. if i were a chick and i heard you say that IRL, i'd smack you across your jowls

and no, i'm not all that troubled by celebrity in mainstream media. celebrity fascination has existed in some form or another through the ages.

i guess the question i'm asking is when you go home and turn on the news and see a 24 second segment on clooney's marriage, how is it any different than seeing a 60 second segment on a missing plane in asia or kidnapped children in africa?

for you, personally, what's the difference?

Archived