The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Clearance Sale in San Jose?

Now that they just choked once again, the worst choke of all their recent chokes... You have to imagine there are going to be major changes in San Jose.

Who would you love to get out of San Jose?

Marleau would be great for some much needed scoring. Not going to even try and make a proposal as I'll flop.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Marleau - Kesler - Burrows (or bump Burr to first, insert a free agent)

Higgins, Santorelli, Richardson, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Sestito, Hansen, Jensen, Cassels, etc. are also there to battle for top 6 spots all season, and fill out the bottom 6.

Some of these may need to be traded to acquire Marleau of course. I would prefer to get rid of one of our defenseman as a part of the trade.

Any proposals or who you'd like to see?

Probably not, since Marleau and Thornton just re-signed to long term contracts. It would be bad taste. Yeah, they choked for the billionth time but it's not like they can replace those guys. Fire the GM and the Coach, and find another guy to get guys to support those core guys.

Vancouver goes in a rebuild, so obviously they trade for a vet

As the season was ending, I thought to myself, blow it up, rebuild. But as times passed on and I've let my thoughts cool down, I have wondered if maybe this team could get it done if healthy.

Our leaders all had terrible years, I personally can see them all bouncing back if healthy, but i am also tired of the same group and want change.

Also on the rebuild note, we wont be a terrible team next season, but we may not be a great team either. We could end up missing the playoffs by a few points and end up with 10-15 pick in the draft. Teams may tank a little harder next season for McDavid and this so called better draft.

So it's try and improve and give this core one more shot with a little upgrades. Or be mediocre and just miss out of the playoffs/lose first round.

Trading those players could arguably make them worse.. Unless they just decide to go straight rebuild, which I doubt.

They're a very good team that just haven't had huge success in the playoffs yet. They could ice the same team next year and make it to the finals if things clicked properly. They're in a much better position than we are in my opinion.

Change the coaching staff and have another go at it next year.

One thing is for sure, we need younger guys. As Torts said, it's a young men's game.

Only old guy in SJ that I'd consider is Dan Boyle only because we really don't have any elite level puck mover on the team right now.

Trading those players could arguably make them worse.. Unless they just decide to go straight rebuild, which I doubt.

They're a very good team that just haven't had huge success in the playoffs yet. They could ice the same team next year and make it to the finals if things clicked properly. They're in a much better position than we are in my opinion.

Change the coaching staff and have another go at it next year.

Their coach will be canned, has the AV issue, great regular season team but can't get it done in the playoffs.

SJ is one year behind us, they will blame the coach before blaming the players/mix...clearly the perrenial contenders need some sort of change, theirs is more of a tweak relative to us, but some change is needed to get them over the hump...what that is, I have no idea because the first three games they looked unbeatable...

just a weird series, but hats off to LA, few teams in history have pulled off what they just did

Brent Burns for John Tortorella and a second.

Let him play D for us, In front of the net on the PP. :rolleyes:

Look, they got beat by a team with championship character. When Pavelski and Couture are the true leaders, not Thornton, they will be more dangerous. They are still a good team... We were a very good team the 2knd time we lost to Chicago in the first round.

Players I'd like to (realistically) acquire:

Dan Boyle - top-drawer puck mover, put him with Tanev.

Raffi Torres - 4th line energy, can chip in with goals/fists as appropriate. We've never replaced his get-up-and-go.

Players I'd love to see here but wouldn't be able to pay the price / jiggle the NTCs around:

Antti Niemi (bad series but a great goalie)

Patrick Marleau (with the Sedins setting him up)

Tomas Hertl (speedy winger for Kesler's line)

Archived