The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Clearance Sale in San Jose?

I am amazed at the proposition that we need to be acquiring veteran roster players from SJ to rebuild our team. As another poster has pointed out, their team is about 2 years behind ours (with a slightly better prospect pool obviously) and their window to take a run with the Thorton, Marleau, Burns group is rapidly closing. What we should be doing is trying to convince them to take some of our NTC veterans (won't be a tough sell going to a contender and living in SJ) with the hopes of prying some of their grade A prospects (not currently in the NHL) in return.

I would specifically try to target acquiring Tomas Herti + pick for Edler plus one of our non NHL prospects (not named Horvat, Shinkurak, Cassel, Jensen).

All I'd want from them is Muller or Couture, and maybe Hertl or Nieto, which I don't see happening.

Yup, not available but I'd like to have them in our system nonetheless. I'd doubt they're willing to move any of their young players (starting with Couture and down to prospects) or picks so I'll just ignore that part.

Other than that, Pavelski if we're talking trades but his is a big contract and I'd only do it if we are moving Kesler. Boyle's a pending UFA and might be nice to have, but at 37 and with all our current D I don't see that happening.

But really, for the most part why would we want to trade with a team that's far worse at choking than us?

Torres and Burns would be sweet. Hertl I'm guessing is untouchable but he'd be my first choice :P

Wouldn't touch one of their older vets with a 10ft pole after this embarrassing series

Burns would be perfect but would cost too much. Torres for a 2nd next year or a 3rd this year and an ok prospect I would do.

Now that they just choked once again, the worst choke of all their recent chokes... You have to imagine there are going to be major changes in San Jose.

Who would you love to get out of San Jose?

Marleau would be great for some much needed scoring. Not going to even try and make a proposal as I'll flop.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Marleau - Kesler - Burrows (or bump Burr to first, insert a free agent)

Higgins, Santorelli, Richardson, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Sestito, Hansen, Jensen, Cassels, etc. are also there to battle for top 6 spots all season, and fill out the bottom 6.

Some of these may need to be traded to acquire Marleau of course. I would prefer to get rid of one of our defenseman as a part of the trade.

Any proposals or who you'd like to see?

Again. When you get a natural center like Marleau, you move Kesler to wing.

I really hope Kesler gets traded. He is one of the most selfish player in the game. He screws the Canucks more than he helps because he doesn't pass. Most time on ice after Crosby, gets 25 goals and 18 assists. As a center, assists ought to far outweigh goals. And if playing second most time in the NHL he should have a 70-80 point season; if he's really a 1C/2C.

But no.

I want Kesler and Burrows out. Unfortunately the Canucks are stuck with Henrik as the Captain; an honorary Gradin crown, no more.

I am amazed at the proposition that we need to be acquiring veteran roster players from SJ to rebuild our team. As another poster has pointed out, their team is about 2 years behind ours (with a slightly better prospect pool obviously) and their window to take a run with the Thorton, Marleau, Burns group is rapidly closing. What we should be doing is trying to convince them to take some of our NTC veterans (won't be a tough sell going to a contender and living in SJ) with the hopes of prying some of their grade A prospects (not currently in the NHL) in return.

I would specifically try to target acquiring Tomas Herti + pick for Edler plus one of our non NHL prospects (not named Horvat, Shinkurak, Cassel, Jensen).

Crap for stars. Typical CDC.

Gotta give to get.

Probably not, since Marleau and Thornton just re-signed to long term contracts. It would be bad taste. Yeah, they choked for the billionth time but it's not like they can replace those guys. Fire the GM and the Coach, and find another guy to get guys to support those core guys.

Why does this logic apply to Marleau and Thornton yet everyone thinks that the exact thing should happen to Edler who is in the exact same situation? Oh wait, we are supposed to hate Edler because he is dog crap. Well if you fail in the playoffs every season, you are just as much a pile of dog crap too.

I'd want to target either Justin Braun or Jason Demers, since both guys can move the puck. With either of them on board then we can move a defenseman for scoring help.

As well, I'd consider a Booth for Havlat + pick move (they retain part of Marty's salary in each year); Marty's underutilized but is skilled (still nearly 0.5 p.p.g. last season), whereas David's all speed but no hands. We take on one more year of Marty but if he has some gas left in the tank still this could be a steal for our top 6.

SJ will have major changes in the offseason and not just firing the coach and trading for minor pieces. They are hungry to get to the finals and they just re-signed aging veterans marleau and thornton. Those two will want to compete for cup and not go the rebuild route.

After being ousted in the first round means the sharks will not go next season with almost the same roster. Expect major changes.

Thinking Burns, Pavelski, Couture might be in play to change their core. Obviously good pieces has to come back to sharks for them to part with any of them.

Canucks should try to trade with them even if within division.

If he wants out, canucks can trade kesler for pavelski

Also try and get Burns for Edler package

SJ will have major changes in the offseason and not just firing the coach and trading for minor pieces. They are hungry to get to the finals and they just re-signed aging veterans marleau and thornton. Those two will want to compete for cup and not go the rebuild route.

After being ousted in the first round means the sharks will not go next season with almost the same roster. Expect major changes.

Thinking Burns, Pavelski, Couture might be in play to change their core. Obviously good pieces has to come back to sharks for them to part with any of them.

Canucks should try to trade with them even if within division.

If he wants out, canucks can trade kesler for pavelski

Also try and get Burns for Edler package

What does San Jose gain from the Kesler trade?

What does San Jose gain from the Kesler trade?

They gain someone who is good on the defensive side, has won a Selke before and brings it during the playoffs unlike Jumbo Joe and Marleau. Too bad Canucks fans have a memory of a gold fish when they talk about Kesler. Then when he wins the cup with another team, they will come back here crying on why they gave up on Kesler. Its similar to how everyone here was calling for AV's head, now look who is laughing.

Up until a week ago the Sharks were represented as the model for a franchise re-tooling on the fly, getting younger and faster, trading fading vets for young studs, re-inventing themselves without resorting to blowing up the team. Setting up for a serious cup run. Now after yet another first round choke to a team that went the opposite route, trading prospects for vets, one has to qualify our understanding of what makes a system successful. Obviously Vancouver needs youth, but more than that it needs shrewd management. Trading Kesler to San Jose? ... the only player there who's an obvious fit in my opinion, is Torres and that hardly constitutes a shrewd trade ..... more like Raffi for a late round pic and then try to pry loose Robinson and maybe Mclellan ..... and then trade Kesler to TO for Gauthier and a 1st round pic ....

Archived