The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Crawford or Quinn?

Snake Doctor

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know it's unpopular to bad talk anything involved with the 94 team but Quinn was just Gillis before Gillis. A few years of great work followed by years of taking the team apart and trying to build it back up with crap. I don't want him as a GM and as has been mentioned he's just too old to coach.

I know it's unpopular to bad talk anything involved with the 94 team but Quinn was just Gillis before Gillis. A few years of great work followed by years of taking the team apart and trying to build it back up with crap. I don't want him as a GM and as has been mentioned he's just too old to coach.

Thank God I 'm not the only one that remembers those garbage years of Quinn.

First choice is definitely Todd McLennan..he is the right coach for this team..Attacking hockey..!...John Stevens and Crawford would also be on that list...I don't think Trotz would be a good fit here..He does get results,but his brand of hockey can be painful to watch (after what we saw from Torts this year,I don't see Linden/GM hiring another trap style coach).

Just say NO to Crawford or Pat Quinn. Geez!! Old retreads, Especially Quinn. Wow!! McLeallan yes, but his playoff record isn't as stellar as his regular season record for sure. Loved Torts as he was a visionary and knew what he wanted and what it took to win in TODAY'S NHL. We seriously need a LOT MORE than just a (another, sigh) new coach. Have you watched the playoffs so far? Our current roster IS NOT capable of that hockey. I already feel sorry for the next new coach unless his hiring comes with some serious roster help as well.

:(

The Bertuzzi file.

Crawford or anyone involved in that incident are staying away from Vancouver, including Bertuzzi himself.

I could not begin to even imagine the media sheetstorm that would ensue were we to bring back either Crawford or Bertuzzi. And if it was both, we'd never read about anything else.

Hell, let's do it :towel:

Yeah i find it funny watching people who are critical of Gillis drooling over the idea of Quinn.

I loved the man as the coach though.

It makes you wonder if they've forgotten, or never even knew how he completely screwed up the chance to get Wayne Gretzky in a Canuck uniform.

Wayner wanted to play with Pavel. Just imagine how that would have been.... :(

IF people would move past the moore thing (the guy had to answer to someone, Crawford probably told some one to pay him back, pretty sure he didn't say go break the freakin guys kneck, but I guess that's what you get for being a pansy and cowarding out of a little pay back) I think Crawford is exactly the right kinda coach for our situation, the guy wasn't afraid to play rookies hard. I remember Schaefer, Druken and Cook rippin it up under Crawford even against Colorado. It wasn't Crawford who let in all those terrible goals like Cloutier did. If Crawford had had a goalie to go along with his west coast express, I think our past records would have been much better.

Crawford would be great but probably not gonna happen, Quinn well he was a great coach, leave it at that ! might sip tea with linden that's about it.

Mclellan- Only one of 4 coaches to ever be that famous lol. but heh he was coaching the perennial chokers

would love to see Babcock, but that's just day dreaming.

So unless Gulutzan takes over that leaves Trotz or Stevens ?\

I could see them Both here honestly and Gulutzan would fit in nicely with them

But as absurd as it is I like the thought of Crawford even better, and don't forget Crawford coached Linden as well

Crawford, Gulutzan

Crawford, Stevens, Gulutzan :frantic::towel::bigblush:

PS: I read that Quinn had an agreement in principle with Gretzky's agent. So we woulda had Gretzky, Messier and Bure and im thinking Mogilny woulda been there too. anyway Quinn demanded Gretzky's agent wake Gretzky up at 3am and have him sign the contract, and so the agent did, and Gretzky told Quinn to go fly a kite. lol Im not even sure if its true but read that about 4 or 5 years ago, don't even remember where lol

Linden wants an experienced, seasoned coach, not a first time up and coming coach for this team.

"I think a coach for me is someone who is a career coach and has been experienced at many levels," added Linden. "I think he is a teacher and able to communicate with his players on many levels and understands players need to be communicated with differently for the different type of personalities. I think a coach is someone who has a real distinct style of play and believes that their style of play is the way to success."

Coach's in this day and age have a hard time disciplining players,

they must gain and keep the respect of the players.

This team is full of veterans.

You see Tortorella berating veteran players on the bench during a game, that stuff just doesn't work anymore.

When over half of the roster is making twice as much as the coach, all on long term contracts with NTC's

​it is imperative to keep their respect,

A coach can lose the support of the team very quickly.

Respected long time Coach's like these just wear out their welcome after years with the same team.

Babcock

Quenneville

A.V.

Sutter

McLellen

Ruff

Trotz

All these coach's would carry a large amount of respect into any dressing room,

This is why Trotz would be a very good candidate, 15 years with the same team

speaks volumes of the level of respect the players and management had for him,

He certainly had to be doing a lot of things right and fits exactly what Linden is seeking in a Head Coach

It was Crawford who let Naslund and Beertuzzi have their way at almost every turn. They did not have complete NHL games and Linden knows that.

Exactly. People around here like to call the current Canucks squad "lazy" on a regular basis, but to the WCE, backchecking was something the 3rd and 4th lines did, not them.

I also never liked Crow's stubbornness when it came to putting players in the best position to succeed. In this respect, he was similar to Tortorella.

It was one playoff series in particular that underscored this for me: In 2003, the Canucks had their best chance at a Cup since 1994. Minnesota had upset Colorado, the NW Division champs, Anaheim had beaten Central champs, Detroit and although the Western Conference champs, the Stars, won their first round match up, they were beaten by 7th seeded Ducks in round two.

Anaheim was waiting for the winner of the Vancouver - Minny series. (the Canucks had knocked off the Blues in round 1) All the Canucks had to do was close out the Wild. After building up a 3 games to 1 lead, the Canucks collapsed and lost the series 4-3.

What was particularly disturbing to me, was Crawford's refusal to try and get away from the WCE vs Gaborik line match up. To anyone with eyes, it was obvious that the Canucks were getting destroyed by this match up. It was one thing in Minny, where Jacques Lemaire did everything he could to make sure that Gabby hopped the boards every time Nazzy did.

But, even in Vancouver, Crow seemed content to let Lemaire have this match up, even though the Linden line had been effective in shutting the Gaborik line down.

This carried on right through game seven, where once again, the Canucks couldn't hang on to a lead (up 2-0) and subsequently lost the series and their best chance in years at a Cup.

I can't say for sure that Crawford has learned from his mistakes, but I certainly don't look back at the Crow years with as much fondness as many.

Exactly. People around here like to call the current Canucks squad "lazy" on a regular basis, but to the WCE, backchecking was something the 3rd and 4th lines did, not them.

I also never liked Crow's stubbornness when it came to putting players in the best position to succeed. In this respect, he was similar to Tortorella.

It was one playoff series in particular that underscored this for me: In 2003, the Canucks had their best chance at a Cup since 1994. Minnesota had upset Colorado, the NW Division champs, Anaheim had beaten Central champs, Detroit and although the Western Conference champs, the Stars, won their first round match up, they were beaten by 7th seeded Ducks in round two.

Anaheim was waiting for the winner of the Vancouver - Minny series. (the Canucks had knocked off the Blues in round 1) All the Canucks had to do was close out the Wild. After building up a 3 games to 1 lead, the Canucks collapsed and lost the series 4-3.

What was particularly disturbing to me, was Crawford's refusal to try and get away from the WCE vs Gaborik line match up. To anyone with eyes, it was obvious that the Canucks were getting destroyed by this match up. It was one thing in Minny, where Jacques Lemaire did everything he could to make sure that Gabby hopped the boards every time Nazzy did.

But, even in Vancouver, Crow seemed content to let Lemaire have this match up, even though the Linden line had been effective in shutting the Gaborik line down.

This carried on right through game seven, where once again, the Canucks couldn't hang on to a lead (up 2-0) and subsequently lost the series and their best chance in years at a Cup.

I can't say for sure that Crawford has learned from his mistakes, but I certainly don't look back at the Crow years with as much fondness as many.

You summed that up perfectly, I remember this like some people remember the Kennedy assasination..

Archived