The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was "THIS" the Canucks curse?

CHIPS

I might be going a bit crazy. But does anyone remember this?

It just seems to me that after that AV laugh, and our "crushing defeat" in the game, the team just wasn't the same after.

NO! This only happened a couple of years ago.

Sadly our curse was from our first draft.

When they spun the wheel and said Buffalo won first overall.

Yup, the Canucks curse has been with us from day 1:

http://sabres.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=23&id=71536

perreaultTOP.jpg Gilbert Perreault (Getty Images) By the time the 1970 NHL Draft rolled around it was evident that Gilbert Perreault, a young phenom playing for the Montreal Junior Canadiens, would be the first player selected overall. What was less certain was where he was going to play his first NHL season.

Vancouver and Buffalo, as the NHL’s newest franchises, were going to be the teams vying for the No. 1 pick after a draft lottery in Montreal.

Head Coach Punch Imlach headed North to ensure that his new team got all they could.

NHL President Clarence Campbell spoke to both the Canucks and the Sabres as to how the order of the amateur draft would be determined. A makeshift roulette wheel of sorts was at the forefront in the Grand Salon of the Queen Elizabeth Hotel. Campbell informed the teams’ representatives that each party was to select a set of numbers, the wheel would be spun and the winner would get the No. 1 pick.

Imlach chose to go the high route selecting 8-13 - as No.11 was his lucky number - leaving Vancouver with the numbers 1-6 (as it was announced that the No. 7 would be a wash).

When Campbell spun the wheel, the Canucks rejoiced as the League offered its congratulations: The wheel had stopped on No. 1.

However, Imlach caused some commotion at the Buffalo table when he asked the League to look again. After taking a closer look it was obvious that Imlach had reason to doubt the results. The pointer had actually landed on No. 11, and Perreault was officially the Original Sabre.

I do not. He misplayed our young players big time.

This is one of the silliest accusations thrown his way, and it has been debunked many times.

Remember how early into their careers guys like Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Edler, and hell, even the Sedins were, when AV started with us. I mean, this was still the "are the Sedins first line players?" time. And I would say he did well with a ton of other young prospects, like Tanev. He even had the guts to make Schneider his starter, over Luongo.

So which prospects or young players, specifically, did AV harm? Grabner, the guy MG traded, who then got waived my the team that first acquired him? Or maybe Hodgson, who, like Grabner, was traded by MG (not even counting the fact that I believe we actually won that trade).

So come on, help me out here, because I all see is the same stupid byline being repeated by people who take it as fact because they heard it from someone else, and it sounded like it might be true.

We have hit rock bottom people!!!

Go brag about that to Edmonton... See what their response is.

Kind of like going to a homeless convention claiming you only have $1,000,000.00 left.

Ever since homer simpson bought a monkey's paw from a dodgy frogurt vendor, the Canucks have never won the stanley cup and my turkey sandwiches have always been a little bit dry. The curse is real.

It was the evil Krusty doll he bought from the frogurt guy.

A classic.

Naw it was after that game against Boston the first time we played them after the SCF and coho dominated. Then the play seemed to decline after that, then I feel it really slipped after the trade deadline that season, it seemed like the coho kass trade lost the swagger of the Canucks, they weren't playing with that confidence/arrogance that other teams complained about before anymore.

Archived