The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 15 Thread

PlayStation

Yes, i agree too. Does anyone know the cost for NHL 15 yet?

$69.99 all consoles. As per EB Games' website

Hopefully there is some E3 discount offered.

As far as people who don't want to buy a new console, yeah it sucks about the cost, but the new consoles are amazing. The graphics on the new games that are released, wow. The amount that can be put into games as well is amazing. I was originally upset about the new consoles as well but ever since I gave in and bought one I have no regretted it. Of course the lack of games at the moment is annoying but very soon that will change, and the PS3/360 games will be phased out.

NHL 15 will certainly be the last game NHL on PS3/360, nothing more than a update patch really.

Voting for Bergeron/Duchene all the way.

I'm for Karlsson/Duchene. Quite why they had to have the douche matchup of Doughty vs Couture I'll never know!

Any ideas on release date? Early September like always, or slightly later this time?

sucks that I would have to buy the PS4 to get all features

Well, it makes sense. The PS3/360 generation consoles can't handle the new features, so if you want them you'll need the PS4/One.

I've been waiting to get a PS4 because of NHL.....and now I'll be getting it 100% within the next few months. Crazy how it's already May, and NHL 15 will probably have it's usual September release date which is 4 months away.

FIFA 14 on next-gen is way better than on the PS3/360 gen.......so NHL 15 on next-gen is the way to go.

I'm very happy about the new commentators and Ray Ferraro at rinkside. Should be interesting.

I'm just hoping that it's not another Boston/Chicago final and I'll have to use those 2 teams in the NHL 15 demo.

Not sure if I will get it. Don't have a PS4 yet, was holding off until either a great game came out or NHL 15 was going to be amazing. So far, just nothing that really has me interested in shelling out over $400 for a new system and a new hockey game. The biggest issue for me has been the issues with the GM Mode and to a lesser extend BAP. Not being able to re-sign players in the final year of their contract, handing out NTC or NMC in order to sign player for less then usual, buildings being less full if team is playing poorly. These are just a handful of issues that I have been wanting to be fixed for years now. Unless these basic changes are made, I don't see why I would pick up a next gen system and game if they couldn't even get this right in the current gen.

I'm just hoping that it's not another Boston/Chicago final and I'll have to use those 2 teams in the NHL 15 demo.

That would be a nightmare :lol:

Although with the new commentators, arenas, sounds, skating, shooting, puck and player physics, and all the other stuff, I might not actually mind. I bought NHL 13 having missed NHL 12, and wish I'd stuck with NHL 11. NHL 14 sounds like it was very poor - but this 'revamp' has me very excited about an NHL game for the first time in over three years.

based on fifa14 on my ps4, the game isn't perfect but far SUPERIOR to any sportsgame i played on the older consoles, i am very optimistic that EA will deliver on this one. seems like majority of the people that have their doubts are the ones that do GM / BAP modes, to me that doesn't apply as most of my game will be online 1 v 1 or EASHL. the silver lining on NHL14 not being on next gen for me is that i opted to get FIFA14 to get my sports fix on the ps4 and it is quite enjoyable but i can't wait to get my hands on NHL15.

p.s. the one gripe i have in FIFA14 which was awesome to customize on NHL14 is that you can customize your camera angles way better than in FIFA, EA should address this, with next gen technology there shouldn't be a reason that you can't customize your camera angle to ANY view you see fit.

Not sure if I will get it. Don't have a PS4 yet, was holding off until either a great game came out or NHL 15 was going to be amazing. So far, just nothing that really has me interested in shelling out over $400 for a new system and a new hockey game. The biggest issue for me has been the issues with the GM Mode and to a lesser extend BAP. Not being able to re-sign players in the final year of their contract, handing out NTC or NMC in order to sign player for less then usual, buildings being less full if team is playing poorly. These are just a handful of issues that I have been wanting to be fixed for years now. Unless these basic changes are made, I don't see why I would pick up a next gen system and game if they couldn't even get this right in the current gen.

Biggest pain IMO is how the ahl counts towards the salary cap at the end of the season making it hard to resign players. I never play with the cap on because of this. My 12m in space goes down to 2M. So stupid.

Biggest pain IMO is how the ahl counts towards the salary cap at the end of the season making it hard to resign players. I never play with the cap on because of this. My 12m in space goes down to 2M. So stupid.

I hate this, but I've never had a problem with cap. In fact, I've been able to unrealistically keep a dominant team together because they sign for so little and the cap keeps going up.

I hate this, but I've never had a problem with cap. In fact, I've been able to unrealistically keep a dominant team together because they sign for so little and the cap keeps going up.

Yeah but at that point i'd rather just not have a cap at all. Although no cap means a lot less players are OTB and go to free agency.

When I had ps3 the last NHL I bought was '13 declined to get '14 as I thought it would be out for the ps4. Sold my ps3 to get the 4 and then they told us it would be a year wait for NHL to return to the next gen platform. I've occupied myself with FIFA and NBA2K14 both are big improvements over the ps3. Cant wait to pick up NHL15, if its as good as FIFA i'll be excited!

New article

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/technology/gaming/eas-nhl-15-to-take-advantage-of-beefed-up-gaming-consoles/article18461700/?service=mobile

EA’s NHL 15 to take advantage of beefed-up gaming consoles

Hockey is finally going next-gen this fall, with Electronic Arts Inc. on Monday officially announcing NHL 15 for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Each annual iteration of the franchise brings incremental improvements, but this year the developers at Burnaby, B.C.-based EA Canada are promising some big changes thanks to the beefier horsepower of the new consoles.

Redesigned collision and puck physics lead the way, while crowds will now be composed of 9,000 different individual animations – the most ever in a video game, according to EA. NHL 15 will also see the debut of a partnership with NBC Sports, including a new broadcasting team consisting of Mike (Doc) Emrick, Eddie Olczyk and TSN’s Ray Ferraro.

Lead producer Sean Ramjagsingh discussed the development process behind the game, which is set for release this fall.

“Improved collision physics” sound impressive, but what will they mean to the average Joe?

When you’re playing the game on day one, you’re going to see things that you may not ever again see happen for the duration that you play the game. And when you play the game 10 months in, you might see stuff that you’ve never seen before, just because of the physics and that exact situation not ever happening again.

We want to create these situations where anything can happen, the game-play is unpredictable and unscripted. It replicates what would really happen in real life.

So if you play for a long time, you won’t see repetition?

You don’t get repetition. With limited animation, I have an animation for hitting you straight on and I have one for hitting you at a 45-degree angle, but if you’re somewhere in between, I need to make a choice between animations. With physics, you can change the degree of the impact by one degree and you’re going to get a different reaction every single time depending on all the variables. It really adds unlimited variety.

And the same principles apply to the puck?

That’s right, the real puck physics is an extension of that. We overhauled our puck physics from the ground up. It’s all about that emergent behaviour where anything can happen, that believability that keeps the player immersed. The thing about video games is that they’re getting to that point where they’re so immersive and so realistic, so users now start to pick up the areas where the game takes you out of that experience. For us, one of those things in the past has been the puck physics, so this year we have a guy from the Hadron Collider – one of our engineers just joined us 10 months ago and worked on it – he redesigned our puck physics from the ground up. The results we’re seeing are absolutely unbelievable.

Just like the player physics, they allow for unpredictable behaviour. Now, when the puck is shot and hits the goalie, if it hits on the pads or chest protector or glove, you get a different reaction depending on speed and variables. We’re still in the development process but we’re already seeing things that we’ve never seen happen before. We’re seeing goalies try new desperation saves because the puck hits them and starts trickling across the goal line and they need to react to that.

It’s pretty amazing that he went from trying to discover the secrets of the universe to making hockey games.

It’s a very different field [laughs]. To be honest, he’s just a guy who likes solving problems. He said, “Give me the toughest problem you have.”

Can he figure out how to get more Canadian teams into the playoffs?

He’s working on that, it’s a long-term project [laughs].

What’s the logic behind each players having three layers?

Just like the puck physics, we wanted to strip our player models down and rebuild them from the ground up. We started by properly modelling the body of the player to better replicate a high-performance athlete, and then the next layer we put the actual equipment on top of the player, and then the jersey. For the first time ever, we have dynamic cloth technology that really adds another layer of realism. Now we have the cloth draped over – taking technology from the sewing industry, believe it or not – so now you think about the puck being shot, hitting the goalie’s jersey, then the equipment underneath the jersey after the jersey moved, and then reacting appropriately.

That’s the next generation of hockey for us. Now you’re going to have a puck that will hit a goalie under the arm and then squeak through between the cloth and the equipment that we have modelled there. Before, the equipment and the body were all just one entity. By separating out the layers, now we get this behaviour where the puck reacts with the cloth and the body and/or the equipment underneath it.

And you’ve quadrupled the number of animated fans?

Yes. In the world of sports games it’s pretty much unprecedented. Bringing that world to life was really important to us, we wanted to get lots of variation in our crowd and get a proper representation of what a crowd looks like, not seeing any repetition in there and having a unique animation on all of the crowd models.

Now, they look different and behave different, so when you score a goal one person’s going to hold up a signing saying “I love you” or multiple people holding up signs that spell out your name. We’re going to have that person who’s taking a selfie and not paying attention to the action, superfans for both the home and the away team. We even have the ability now where 95 per cent of the crowd is watching the ice and the other five per cent is paying attention to the superfan.

How about fights breaking out in the crowd?

Not yet.

How about mayors getting kicked out for unruly behaviour?

It wouldn’t look right if we had the stairs between sections bare so we’re going to have vendors and security going up and down the aisles, so in the future if we ever get the fighting in the stands, we’ll have security there to take care of it.

What about the NBC integration? Is that going to be a bit lost on Canadian gamers?

Our fans have been asking for a presentation overhaul for years now, so bringing in the quality of NBC’s network is going to be exciting, from the flyovers to the addition of Doc and Eddie. The great thing is that here in Canada we get the NBC feed, we get the rivalry games and we get the game of the week on Sundays, so people are familiar with seeing the NBC broadcast up here. We also have Ray Ferraro joining our broadcast team, so fans who watch him, he’s one of the most respected broadcasters in Canada. When we want to bring him in to add content, he’s just a phone call away.

And all of these extra features are being powered by extra juice the next-generation consoles deliver?

When people ask me, “Why the new consoles,” it’s always because it’s more power. More computations, more math behind the scenes, higher resolution on our players, on the cloth, the cloth flowing with dynamic movement. All of that stuff is math and code running under the hood.

Will there be a scaled-down version for the older consoles?

We will be coming out on the Xbox 360 and PS3, but for now we’re just focusing on the feature set for the new consoles.

Follow Peter Nowak on Twitter: @peternowak

Same. I always have like 10 mil left over especially once the cap reaches 100M. If I know I'm going to have cap trouble I just dump some players at the draft for cheap prospects and picks.

Right now I'm in my 5th year with Carolina. The goalie I drafted was coming out of his ELC (86 overall) so I knew I had to move cam ward. Traded him to the canucks for the 3rd overall pick and drafted an 83 overall Center sniper. Got offensive help on a cheap ELC and still have my Latvian starting goalie. And I am on hard trade difficulty

Same. I always have like 10 mil left over especially once the cap reaches 100M. If I know I'm going to have cap trouble I just dump some players at the draft for cheap prospects and picks.

Right now I'm in my 5th year with Carolina. The goalie I drafted was coming out of his ELC (86 overall) so I knew I had to move cam ward. Traded him to the canucks for the 3rd overall pick and drafted an 83 overall Center sniper. Got offensive help on a cheap ELC and still have my Latvian starting goalie. And I am on hard trade difficulty

I was able to trade an injured, pending UFA Sam Reinhart at the Trade deadline for a top 3 pick to a team. SR made it to free agency that year :lol:

I was able to trade an injured, pending UFA Sam Reinhart at the Trade deadline for a top 3 pick to a team. SR made it to free agency that year :lol:

Computer never accepts pending UFA's in mine. Could be eric Staal for a 7th and they'd still decline

I would love if they scrapped the whole overalls from be a GM, or gave you an option to hide them. Kept the whole "top 6 forward" "3rd line scorer" tags etc.

Would be a hell of a lot more challenging, you'd have to base signings and trades on points, age, contract, roles, etc.

Overalls is something that makes it so easy that you can pull off those trades for top picks because you know your 23 year old rookies already 86 overall and you can bring him up. Would be more challenging having to bring up a total question mark and assessing from their play, then deciding to keep them permanently and trade away a veteran to make room or send the kid back down.

Free agency I used to snag all the higher level old guys for cheap, dump em in minors, help develop my prospects and have the old good guys ready to bring up incase of injuries or I decide to trade away my core guy for picks or just throw them in extra to acquire a higher overall forward because I know I have those guys down there who can easily fill in. Having the question marks about overalls would really change how you approach every move.

Archived