The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Kesler Situation

TheSecretIsMe

You got grand kids, Nuxfanabroad? Bless you for being a long-suffering Canucks fan all these years.

I do, bigbad..a few that I know of. In my 40's & quickly going grey like Maurice Richard in the Grecian formula ad. I blame the Canucks for the shades of grey, & my capricious exes for PTSD-induced, memory loss. You youngin'-fans will eventually learn the utter importance of understanding who deserves blame for various, oncoming ailments. The west coast needs counselling, en-masse.

Wondering nowadays if waiting for something that hasn't arrived(cheque's in the mail!) is worthy of a damage-claim, & a generous, compensatory reward. Should Nucks fans surviving since the '70s, consider a class-action lawsuit? Would we sue the azz off Bill Laforge, Hary Neale, Gretzky, or the ghost of Jake Milford? Hard to say who is most culpable.

Lot's of things could 'kill you.'

- Selling from a point of weakness

- Forcing a player with an NTC to move

- Upsetting the locker room

- Getting a poor return

- Believing there is only one path to success

- Disenfranchising your customers

This is a complicated business and this is a complicated discussion. There are so many factors for which we are not privy and/or are not able to properly predict the alternative time/space dimensions.

I think with the rising cap that there might be little incentive to move Kesler now rather than midseason if a move is an eventuality.

As it has been said many times before, only if the deal offered is impossible to refuse.

True, but sitting on an asset that's depreciating in value isn't the best move for any business.

1. We're not selling from a point of weakness. Kesler's value is very high right now. He was pretty healthy this year, put up okay numbers, was solid defensively, helped us have one of the best PKs in the league.

2.He won't be forced. In fact, I doubt he even wants to stay here. What are his incentives other than he's lived here for a while. He's got money he could live anywhere for a while.

3. The locker room won't be upset if he leaves according to his choice.

4. The path to success right now for this club is to change something because they're not contending for a cup next year.

5. They can fall in love with another player.

The business is complicated and that's why you have different levels of management. We can't make excuses for not improving. We have to improve or everything you stated above may happen with or without Kesler trade.

True, but sitting on an asset that's depreciating in value isn't the best move for any business.

1. We're not selling from a point of weakness. Kesler's value is very high right now. He was pretty healthy this year, put up okay numbers, was solid defensively, helped us have one of the best PKs in the league.

2.He won't be forced. In fact, I doubt he even wants to stay here. What are his incentives other than he's lived here for a while. He's got money he could live anywhere for a while.

3. The locker room won't be upset if he leaves according to his choice.

4. The path to success right now for this club is to change something because they're not contending for a cup next year.

5. They can fall in love with another player.

The business is complicated and that's why you have different levels of management. We can't make excuses for not improving. We have to improve or everything you stated above may happen with or without Kesler trade.

As far as I can see you are making large assumptions at every point. They may be correct or they may not be correct, in full or in part.

The salient point being that moving Kesler immediately is not our only, or necessarily best, option to achieve the stated goals.

100% speculation here, but I believe the only reason we heard that Kesler wanted out was because of Torts. I believe he never liked playing under him. Like I said, pure speculation, but my opinion.

I say keep Kesler for atleast until the deadline to see how he reacts and plays under the new management. His value wont go down because he would help a playoff team. Unless the Canucks are still struggling and Kesler demands a trade, dont trade him yet.

I do, bigbad..a few that I know of. In my 40's & quickly going grey like Maurice Richard in the Grecian formula ad. I blame the Canucks for the shades of grey, & my capricious exes for PTSD-induced, memory loss. You youngin'-fans will eventually learn the utter importance of understanding who deserves blame for various, oncoming ailments. The west coast needs counselling, en-masse.

Wondering nowadays if waiting for something that hasn't arrived(cheque's in the mail!) is worthy of a damage-claim, & a generous, compensatory reward. Should Nucks fans surviving since the '70s, consider a class-action lawsuit? Would we sue the azz off Bill Laforge, Hary Neale, Gretzky, or the ghost of Jake Milford? Hard to say who is most culpable.

Lol. Novel post. :lol:

I am still waiting for the compensation cheque from Harold Snepts for when he passed it up the boards to Bossy.

As far as I can see you are making large assumptions at every point. They may be correct or they may not be correct, in full or in part.

The salient point being that moving Kesler immediately is not our only, or necessarily best, option to achieve the stated goals.

I would appreciate hearing which way you think the Canucks should go? .. if you have posted specifically elsewhere on the topic, I would go read what you had to say .. or are you still waiting for the GM and Coach situation to be resolved so as to help identify the course they have charted? .. going to be an interesting summer

Your post went around in a circle and said nothing in the slightest. You should run for public office. ::D

We seem to play just as good or better without Kesler in the line-up so I am all for trading him. I would only trade him for a top pick and a top prospect(s).

To Anaheim for: OTT's 2014 1st(10th), William karlsson, Sami Vatanen

Yes we make a team in our division better but we're nowhere near being a cup contender. The three players we get in return will be much better than Kesler by the time they reach their prime and he is 34+ years old.

I personally believe we should trade him. We might suffer for another season but if we manage to get the deal that Pitts offered us then we're golden within 2 years. We have to think about the future rather than try and salvage a dying horse. The Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa and Hamhius are more than good enough to help develop a young and prospering team.

Pittsburgh deal --> Suter, Pouliot and a 1st is a great deal in my opinion.

We have so much young talent coming up in

Horvat

Shinkaruk

Jensen

Gaunce

Fox

Cassels

Subban

Corrado

We need to make room for these players

ie. Look at Montreals line up. A few veterans that are able to teach the game and the rest of their roster is filled with young tough flourishing players.

Lets get something for Kesler before he becomes stale

I'd trade Kesler to Pittsburg after they loose there series with the Rangers

To Van - Derrick Pouliot,Beau Bennett, 1st 2014

To Pit - Kesler, 3rd

Then I'd also trade with flordia for 1st overall

Tanev+ 6th+Schroeder for 1st overall

Take D Aaron Ekblad

Hamhuis-Ekblad

Pouliot-Bieksa

Garrison-Corrado

To Pit - Kesler, 3rd

Take D Aaron Ekblad

Hamhuis-Ekblad

Pouliot-Bieksa

Garrison-Corrado

Let's be real here. We win that Pitsburgh trade in less than a year.

Penguins are a no go. They're hung up on despres and Sutter who are fringe NHLers at best.

Anaheim is the best trade partner, but it depends on how they do in the playoffs

To Pit - Kesler, 3rd

Take D Aaron Ekblad

Hamhuis-Ekblad

Pouliot-Bieksa

Garrison-Corrado

Ekblad top 2 D in his first year.... nope

I would appreciate hearing which way you think the Canucks should go? .. if you have posted specifically elsewhere on the topic, I would go read what you had to say .. or are you still waiting for the GM and Coach situation to be resolved so as to help identify the course they have charted? .. going to be an interesting summer

I rarely campaign to have players off of the team especially not one of our best players. I do often say that I think trading a certain player is a flat out mistake, as I would with the Sedins. I'm indifferent with Kesler this offseason unless I have more information.

If he wants to go and we get a great return then I don't think it is an overcomeable obstacle at forward despite being a step back.

It depends on the deal, the timing, his opinion and any subsequent moves.

@MoneypuckOverlord: He's only worth a few picks at best? Glad you're not GM. Kesler's pace was 45pts for the 82 games which matched Brassard and Vermette. For the type of player that he is (2way #2 C) he fits the similar type of player as Mike Richards (I know he's usually a 3C on LAK but on virtually any other team he's a 2C). He chews up almost 22 minutes a game and plays in ALL situations and zones. Is a mainstay when it comes to International tourney's (including the BIG one: Olympics)...so I'm gonna go out on a limb here and firmly state that I think he's worth more than a few picks. He's one of those players that throws a cup contender over the top into a cup winner. Can you picture Pittsburgh this year if they would have pulled off their proposed trade? Pretty much would have guaranteed them a date in the Final 4 and probably a SCF appearance. GM's look for these types of players...and are willing to pay to win now with them.

Archived