The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Kesler Situation

TheSecretIsMe

With Kes gone, our second line is non-existent. We do not have any prospects that can fill that role within the next 2/3 years. I do not see Santos in that position and am doubtful Statsny would come here. Teams will be fighting over him and he will get 7-8M.

Perhaps they can get UFA (Grabs or Legwand) short term and Vrbata or Santo for the LW. Trade Booth, raising cap hit and Kes $ will help.

At least the 3rd and 4th are looking good with Higs, Matthias, Richardson, Hansen, Horvat (maybe) & Burr (Kas and Jensen on top 6).

Regardless, unless there's another trade to upgrade that 2nd line, we will still be middle of the pack.

If it's a awesome trade, like the suggested Ana one, it would be worth waiting for a bright future.

Time for a change. Kes, Burr, Edler and others need a change of scenery. We need fresh blood. Changes will be good for everyone.

Burr and Edler had stinker years.

Trading is best done from a position of strength,which suggests Kesler.

Change is not the best avenue and is certainly not good for everyone.

@MoneypuckOverlord: He's only worth a few picks at best? Glad you're not GM. Kesler's pace was 45pts for the 82 games which matched Brassard and Vermette. For the type of player that he is (2way #2 C) he fits the similar type of player as Mike Richards (I know he's usually a 3C on LAK but on virtually any other team he's a 2C). He chews up almost 22 minutes a game and plays in ALL situations and zones. Is a mainstay when it comes to International tourney's (including the BIG one: Olympics)...so I'm gonna go out on a limb here and firmly state that I think he's worth more than a few picks. He's one of those players that throws a cup contender over the top into a cup winner. Can you picture Pittsburgh this year if they would have pulled off their proposed trade? Pretty much would have guaranteed them a date in the Final 4 and probably a SCF appearance. GM's look for these types of players...and are willing to pay to win now with them.

Exactly.

Interestingly, early PO's it appeared youth WAS being served. Squads like Avs & BJ's were making youth appear in vogue.

As PO's go deeper, established players will probably make more noise. Remaining 8 teams feature more vets(comparable to Kes,in age/style), whereas the first round, it seemed so many kids were flying. Hate to say it, but I expect a return of 2013 finalists, Chi & Bos to meet.

So at the draft, the memory will be fresh that such players(late-20's, 2-way beasts) are the order of the day. Kesler should be in demand.

With Kes gone, our second line is non-existent. We do not have any prospects that can fill that role within the next 2/3 years. I do not see Santos in that position and am doubtful Statsny would come here. Teams will be fighting over him and he will get 7-8M.

Perhaps they can get UFA (Grabs or Legwand) short term and Vrbata or Santo for the LW. Trade Booth, raising cap hit and Kes $ will help.

At least the 3rd and 4th are looking good with Higs, Matthias, Richardson, Hansen, Horvat (maybe) & Burr (Kas and Jensen on top 6).

Regardless, unless there's another trade to upgrade that 2nd line, we will still be middle of the pack.

If it's a awesome trade, like the suggested Ana one, it would be worth waiting for a bright future.

To be middle of the pack is pointless. If you're terrible then you get high draft picks. If you're dominant you get a legit chance at the cup.

So pick one of the latter two.

I rarely campaign to have players off of the team especially not one of our best players. I do often say that I think trading a certain player is a flat out mistake, as I would with the Sedins. I'm indifferent with Kesler this offseason unless I have more information.

If he wants to go and we get a great return then I don't think it is an overcomeable obstacle at forward despite being a step back.

It depends on the deal, the timing, his opinion and any subsequent moves.

Thanks .. I am with you on being indifferent to Kesler .. I must be looking for him to be selfish, as that is mostly what I am seeing ..

I just believe he would yield the highest return .. maybe Edler+ to Ottawa would yield us Cowan or Gryba+.

Kesler wants to leave. It was reported during the season. He subsequently denied it. However, the season is now over. Linden met with Kes and talked to him about the future. When asked about the conversation Linden avoided saying anything concrete. Ask yourself this, If Kesler told Linden he wants to stay why wouldn't Linden come out and say that?

Kesler wants to leave. When a suitable trade is found the deal will happen.

Does Kesler want out? What is the offer coming back to the Canucks if we trade him? Is Kesler willing to waive to go to the team offering the package? All of those should be the deciding criteria in whether to move him or not. If we get a skilled gritty younger player who would fit on this team (and I mean a 1st or 2nd liner)then the team is going in the right direction. If we are trading him for a bunch of 3rd or 4th rounders, then no way....we stand pat.

To be middle of the pack is pointless. If you're terrible then you get high draft picks. If you're dominant you get a legit chance at the cup.

So pick one of the latter two.

Totally agree

I think that is one of the problems of the late 70's and 80's.........our fan base was very demanding and the management of the time would do anything they could to ice a competative team.....trouble was poor drafting and being in the middle and poor scouting.....at that time the Canucks were way behind the times......anyways no point being in the middle.....as you pointed out.

Off-topic: IMO the definition of insanity is using Einstein's quote to define insanity.

On-topic: I would absolutely love Kesler to stay with this team, especially with new coaching and management ahead. I doubt Kesler is moved at or before the draft, I imagine the new front office would like to see how the team reacts to the changes first. If things don't look good and Kes is still unhappy, then ship him. There really isn't a reason to be impatient when it comes to moving a player of Kes' caliber.

Amen.

I favor trading Kesler and Garrison and/or Edler, plus Hansen, even Burrows .. no matter what Linden says, this core IS stale .. this organization is in trouble until the 'denial complex' is erased!

Dead on.

I favor trading Kesler and Garrison and/or Edler, plus Hansen, even Burrows .. no matter what Linden says, this core IS stale .. this organization is in trouble until the 'denial complex' is erased!

Kesler is only traded if we get fair value back. No way are we trading him for donuts. If we are retooling, I'd trade him for Eric Staal or Brayden Schenn. If we are rebuilding, I would trade him for Mantha and Nyquist.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kesler go to Anaheim and draft Fleury with that 10th

The fans will riot if we trade Kesler for a measly 10th pick in a weak draft. We traded Schneider for the 9th overall in a deeper draft and people wanted Gillis head off. Now you want to trade Kesler for the 10th pick? It would only be feasible if Bonino or Etem plus Silverfberg are coming back together with that 10th pick.

The fans will riot if we trade Kesler for a measly 10th pick in a weak draft. We traded Schneider for the 9th overall in a deeper draft and people wanted Gillis head off. Now you want to trade Kesler for the 10th pick? It would only be feasible if Bonino or Etem plus Silverfberg are coming back together with that 10th pick.

Not 1 for 1..

Since when does it mean that trading Kesler mean we will tank next year?

The guy has done d*ck all for us the last 3 years.

Atleast trading him we will get some key/exciting pieces back.

The only guy on our team that had over 20 goals. Plays PP, PK, one of the better 2 way forwards in the NHL. Sorry but even if we trade him, we're not getting Many pieces that will be immediate help and I can guarantee if anybody NHL ready comes our way, he won't be as good as Kesler. He will be traded for picks/youth

There's a lot of controversy in regards to trading Kesler. Nonetheless, I for one think that trading him is potentially the best thing for this organization. He's got heart he's physical he can be clutch and he only makes $5 mill per year, he's a bargain and that's for damn sure. Hence, making him an attractive asset for any team.

I know a lot of people would rather move other players instead of him but the fact of the matter is, the return will be so minor that it'll probably have little to no impact on our roster. Minor trades won't do much, it's not like we're almost a top team and need a couple new pieces. The reality is that we kind of suck right now and even if we get better next season I don't see the Canucks dominating the league and becoming contenders.

This brings me to "The Kesler Situation"and my opinions on what happens if we keep him or trade him.

Keep him: 1. The team stays predominately the same.

2. We have legit chance at making the playoffs next year.

3. Kill another year on his contract making him less valuable if we choose to trade him in the future.

Trade him: 1. We bring in some young players who have the potential to be starts in the future.

2. We end up being terrible next year without his shut-down ability and don't make the playoffs.

3. We get a high draft pick for probably the next two seasons and might I add, these are deep drafts.

4. We change the dynamic of the team.

Building for the future in my opinion should have started yesterday. The core of this team isn't going to outplay other up and coming teams. We lost in the finals when basically everyone on the team had a career year. If we didn't win the cup then we're not going to win it now. Even if the players step up next season they will not dominate the league.

I for one think the benefits outweigh the costs. Therefore, trade him while you can get exactly what your asking for. If you want to to win the cup I think this is the way to go.

So CDC, how do you feel about my opinions? Should we keep him or say our farewells?

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" -Einstein

I am in favor of trading Kesler. I see his value to the team waning. It has been impossible to find anyone who can compliment his play or who he might compliment. I find his production far to inconsistent in Vancouver though he is being paid 5M/Year and I believe at times his ego/attitude is counter-productive to him and the team.

Trade him now while his value is high and the return will benefit the team.

Archived