The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Kesler Situation

TheSecretIsMe

There's a lot of controversy in regards to trading Kesler. Nonetheless, I for one think that trading him is potentially the best thing for this organization. He's got heart he's physical he can be clutch and he only makes $5 mill per year, he's a bargain and that's for damn sure. Hence, making him an attractive asset for any team.

I know a lot of people would rather move other players instead of him but the fact of the matter is, the return will be so minor that it'll probably have little to no impact on our roster. Minor trades won't do much, it's not like we're almost a top team and need a couple new pieces. The reality is that we kind of suck right now and even if we get better next season I don't see the Canucks dominating the league and becoming contenders.

This brings me to "The Kesler Situation"and my opinions on what happens if we keep him or trade him.

Keep him: 1. The team stays predominately the same.

2. We have legit chance at making the playoffs next year.

3. Kill another year on his contract making him less valuable if we choose to trade him in the future.

Trade him: 1. We bring in some young players who have the potential to be starts in the future.

2. We end up being terrible next year without his shut-down ability and don't make the playoffs.

3. We get a high draft pick for probably the next two seasons and might I add, these are deep drafts.

4. We change the dynamic of the team.

Building for the future in my opinion should have started yesterday. The core of this team isn't going to outplay other up and coming teams. We lost in the finals when basically everyone on the team had a career year. If we didn't win the cup then we're not going to win it now. Even if the players step up next season they will not dominate the league.

I for one think the benefits outweigh the costs. Therefore, trade him while you can get exactly what your asking for. If you want to to win the cup I think this is the way to go.

So CDC, how do you feel about my opinions? Should we keep him or say our farewells?

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" -Einstein

I agree with most of what you say, my concern would be, if we go to rebuild mode, how long until we are relavent again? Oilers have some legit hockey guys running that team, yet they have been at it for so long, NJ is similar situaton, Dal only recently got it together, we don't know if it might just be a one year thing.

The current team still has a very good d, I beleive we have better 3rd line depth now than we have since 2011, particularly if a couple of the young guys overacheive. Horvat and who ever we get at 6 should be two legit NHL players, there is also a possiblitiy of trading the pick. Throw big money at one of the free agents and you have another top 6. If Chicago can win with unproven Niemi and Crawford, Lack atleast deserves a chance. At the very least we can see how it plays out and trade Kesler at the deadline. If it's a chemistry thing, team did play better when Kes was hurt, then maybe it is time to rebuild.

Linden said Kes had concerns. If he's staying, I would use our #1 pick to try and bring in a good top 6 player, which would likely please Kesler. If we could get the Big Buff for our 1st, plus not too much more, or for a similar impact player, I would make that move. We need a really good top six player or two, if we are going to retool. We still have a core that can win if we make the right moves. Drafting a player that won't help us for 2-3 years doesn't make sense at this point.

Canucks management is not dumb... They understand the situation, and they will fully explore trading Kesler. However they are not going to move him if the price isn't right. Moving Kes for whatever return is going to be a huge blow to the team and its competitiveness. And I agree that if they cant find the right trading partner, that theyll be aggressive in finding another legit top 6 forward..... But I get the feeling that with marketing in mind, the team needs a significant roster change in order to sell the group again.

now that the media are saying Malkin might be available - lets send Kesler,Booth,Corrado and the 6th pick for Malkin and Pouliot ...helps both teams change there fundamental structure and breath new life into two somewhat stagnent lineups

If they are trading Malkin in a package then you misspelled Booth in their asking price.

Think you meant "Bo"

And no, not saying we should do that but they will ask for it.

now that the media are saying Malkin might be available - lets send Kesler,Booth,Corrado and the 6th pick for Malkin and Pouliot ...helps both teams change there fundamental structure and breath new life into two somewhat stagnent lineups

im pretty sure that therell be 28 other teams that can make a better offer.... without pittsburgh losing their best prospect in the deal.

It'll take something along the lines of: Kesler, Hansen, Shinkaruk, 6th overall for Geno... Both Hansen and Kesler are on respectable contracts. Would give Pitts cap relief, a 2nd line C to replace Malkin, a good 3rd liner and 2 top prospects. This offer would have them thinking imo. Its not a deal you can low ball, youre either all in, or folding. The Canucks lose significant assets, but get an elite player who has only been under a ppg once in his 8 year career... which was an injury plagued season, while they keep their top two rated prospects.

Edler for Palat - Honestly I cant see TB trading Palat at all. But Id add to Edler to get well rounded LW Calder finalist.

Lineup from there

Palat Malkin Kassian

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Horvat Santorelli

Matthias Richardson Booth

Jensen

Sestito

Hamhuis Tanev

Garrison Bieksa

Stanton Weber

Corrado

I really think what is best for Kesler is best for the Canucks. If he really wants to stay then I think we should keep him. All the things people are hyping about Kes for trade value (grit, great defence, great righty shot) are things we need too.

The only catch is the roster needs a fairly significant shake up. Whether that's by trading Kesler or some other core player(s), it is time.

If Kesler at all wants out we should do it now. Out if fairness to him, and because keeping a guy where he doesn't want to be is bad for the locker room and IMO the on ice product. The media is going to hound this Kesler thing all year if we are any worse than 5th in the conference. If there is any shred of truth to him wanting out just turn him loose now.

Let Kesler decide.

Kesler's decisions have hampered this team enough. It's time for the Canucks organization to get a spine and trade him; not get a winger for him. Makes no sense. No one plays well with him. And if te Canucks were to get a player to play with Kesler, it should be a center. But Kesler is selfish and wants the center position even though he doesn't pass.

If

Canucks management is not dumb... They understand the situation, and they will fully explore trading Kesler. However they are not going to move him if the price isn't right. Moving Kes for whatever return is going to be a huge blow to the team and its competitiveness. And I agree that if they cant find the right trading partner, that theyll be aggressive in finding another legit top 6 forward..... But I get the feeling that with marketing in mind, the team needs a significant roster change in order to sell the group again.

If they can get someone like Pouliot or Couturier they should look long and hard at it... we need to get younger before its too late.

Sorry 'bout that, it is just a pet peeve of mine.

You're not alone - it's oft used inappropriately as well and flies in the face of other famous quotations like "practice makes perfect", "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again", etc.

Keep Kesler. Make him captain. We need to build around his two-way style of game, not the Sedins and their cycle. Plus he's got heart, plays physical, and is a beast on the faceoff. To me he's irreplaceable and I would only accept a trade offer if it was significant. But if he really does want out and the right offer is on the table, do it.

Trading Kesler means total re-build in my mind (minus Sedins). However, keeping him DOES NOT mean the team has to remain completely the same. NTCs don't mean it's impossible to move other guys. Make a few changes in the supporting cast and add a youngster or two to the line-up and the dynamic of the team changes without having to trade our best all-around player and tank next year.

Unless you can get an amazing package in return for Kesler he brings more value to the team as an active forward then a trade target. Sometimes you trade guys to change the complexion of your team or manage your assets and get something for a guy who won't be around long term. But the Canucks need Kesler on the team now. At the trade deadline there was the Leddy, Shaw and Teravainen for Kesler + rumour, from a Canucks perspective that's the type of deal you do. Otherwise the Canucks are better served by keeping Kesler.

Unless you can get an amazing package in return for Kesler he brings more value to the team as an active forward then a trade target. Sometimes you trade guys to change the complexion of your team or manage your assets and get something for a guy who won't be around long term. But the Canucks need Kesler on the team now. At the trade deadline there was the Leddy, Shaw and Teravainen for Kesler + rumour, from a Canucks perspective that's the type of deal you do. Otherwise the Canucks are better served by keeping Kesler.

Agreed, if we trade Kes for a substantial package, like the Hawks one above, then it's still a retool, so I'd be ok with the trade.

If we keep Kes, then use the 1st pick to bring someone in like the Big Buff, make a bold move, and play him at forward. It changes the team with one deal. Then try and send Edler to Tampa for some young snipers. Then bring back Hoff from the Sabres, and all of a sudden we have swagger again.

Worst thing that can happen, we end up betwixed and between, with a core that could still win now, if it's surrounded by the right players, but instead we end up with a bunch of young players, who won't be ready for several years, and then the core we have now is gone. That scenario gets us nowhere. So either retool or rebuild, don't do half and half. In which case, if we're retooling, use the 1st to retool.

Keep Kesler. Make him captain. We need to build around his two-way style of game, not the Sedins and their cycle. Plus he's got heart, plays physical, and is a beast on the faceoff. To me he's irreplaceable and I would only accept a trade offer if it was significant. But if he really does want out and the right offer is on the table, do it.

The players voted to take the A away from Kes. He's certainly not going to be the captain on this team.

Except that player agent Mike Gillis could not pull the trigger on such a deal. He promptly got fired.

He'd fit perfectly on the Bruins team. Lucic would look good on the Canucks team.

Archived