The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Spezza, Phaneuf being shopped to Western Conf

Spezza would be a great addition, the Canucks needs another playmaker. Right now Hank is the only natural playmaker on the team. Spezza with Kesler (if we can manage to keep Kesler too) would give the Canucks a quality 2nd line to take the pressure off the Sedins.

A package of Hansen, Edler and Schoeder or Cannatta would be a decent starting offer but likely not enough.

Imagaine

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen

Burrows-Spezza-Kesler

Horvat-Matthias-Kassian

Higgins-Richardson-Santorelli/Sesito

spezza is terrible no thank you

Orly?

Jason Spezza #19 - C
Ottawa
DOB: 1983/06/13
POB: Toronto, Ont, Canada
Height: 6-3 Weight: 215lbs
Shoots: R
NHL Seasons: 10
His plus/minus was pretty bad but 23 goals and 43 assists nets him 16 points ahead of our best player...and only 2 goals fewer than Kesler....so, with that comparison, you must think every Canucks player is terrible as well?
I too think that Sedin Sedin Spezza might make a pretty good line.

Speeza's cap hit is 5 million I think that's reasonable..

You're thinking of his actual salary. His cap his is 7, but his pay is 4 mil for the last year of his contract.

Here are my thoughts:

That's a heavy cap hit. 4 million is a very reasonable salary for his talent level. With that said, he was a team worst -26. It was said by someone that it was not a good Ottawa team, but I disagree that is the reason. Besides Michalek, that's noticeably worse than any other player on Ottawa. And having only 1 year left on his contract, he might just end up a rental of sorts.

I wouldn't mind Spezza, but I think we'd need to see some cap going the other direction. Man I wish someone would take Booth's contract as part of a deal. I wouldn't be happy to see us give up serious assets for what might amount to a 1-year-long Canuck.

I think Phaneuf is a decent player and would give us the size and fighting ability on the back end which wouldn't hurt. But I just don't think that he's worth 7 million. Add to that the fact his cap hit is 8 million for the next two years and the fact his contract runs up until 2021 when he won't likely be nearly the player at 36 years old.

So, in my opinion, I'd be fine with having either player on the team but the conditions required to make either an advantageous trade for us is far too unlikely.

Orly?

Jason Spezza #19 - C

Ottawa

DOB: 1983/06/13

POB: Toronto, Ont, Canada

Height: 6-3 Weight: 215lbs

Shoots: R

NHL Seasons: 10

His plus/minus was pretty bad but 23 goals and 43 assists nets him 16 points ahead of our best player...and only 2 goals fewer than Kesler....so, with that comparison, you must think every Canucks player is terrible as well?

I too think that Sedin Sedin Spezza might make a pretty good line.

yes rly. he has a 7 mill cap hit. they would want assets to land spezza. not only is his -26 terrible other than michalek (-25) its BY FAR THE WORST ON THE TEAM. have you watched him play lately? stats aside he is not very good man. especially for the price.

that being said it says alot about the guy when the team that hes played for his entire life, the team that he captains, is so eager to trade him during an important part of their rebuild.

The Canucks needs both.

Get both.

KANE - SPEZZA - BYFUGLIEN

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - KASSIAN

HIGGINS - HORVAT - HANSEN

SESTITO - RICHARDSON - ARCHIBALD

PHANEUF - HAMHUIS

BIEKSA - TANEV

STANTON - CORRADO

LACK

MARKSTROM

Forgetting about how this actually works for the Canucks (without giving up Horvat), just who are the Jets receiving in this offer when they give up Byfuglien and Kane? Because this just might be the worst beginning to a proposal I have ever seen.

Forgetting about how this actually works for the Canucks (without giving up Horvat), just who are the Jets receiving in this offer when they give up Byfuglien and Kane? Because this just might be the worst beginning to a proposal I have ever seen.

Generally when people start posting lineups as their proposals instead of just single trades, I tune them out because it's clear they have confused reality with NHL 14.

I can actually see Edmonton sending their 3rd overall + player (Gagne maybe?)to Toronto for Dion and Torontos 8th overall if Ekblad is picked

Then flip their newly aquired 8th in a package to Ott for Spezza

Spezza/Phaneuf would add alot of star power to their line-up but mannnnn.....the turnovers....

LIke I said in regards to Leafs players... all garbage. Once again, don't take any players the Leafs are shopping. A team as bad as the Leafs shopping a player? must be a terrible player. Let PHaneuf eat out Leafs cap room for now. thanks.

Jason Spezza not bad, not something that will fit our team though since we are not heading in that direction

All Leafs players are garbage? Take off your Leafs hatred for just a minute and take a look at some of their guys that can actually play and are either studs or are going to be such as Phil Kessel, Morgan Rielly, Jake Gardiner, James van Riemsdyk, and Joffrey Lupul.

You're thinking of his actual salary. His cap his is 7, but his pay is 4 mil for the last year of his contract.

Here are my thoughts:

That's a heavy cap hit. 4 million is a very reasonable salary for his talent level. With that said, he was a team worst -26. It was said by someone that it was not a good Ottawa team, but I disagree that is the reason. Besides Michalek, that's noticeably worse than any other player on Ottawa. And having only 1 year left on his contract, he might just end up a rental of sorts.

I wouldn't mind Spezza, but I think we'd need to see some cap going the other direction. Man I wish someone would take Booth's contract as part of a deal. I wouldn't be happy to see us give up serious assets for what might amount to a 1-year-long Canuck.

I think Phaneuf is a decent player and would give us the size and fighting ability on the back end which wouldn't hurt. But I just don't think that he's worth 7 million. Add to that the fact his cap hit is 8 million for the next two years and the fact his contract runs up until 2021 when he won't likely be nearly the player at 36 years old.

So, in my opinion, I'd be fine with having either player on the team but the conditions required to make either an advantageous trade for us is far too unlikely.

You are fooling yourself there .. that false praise of Phaenuf's 'fighting prowess' comes directly from someones rectum! It is absurd!

Seriously…. the Leafs sign Dion to a 7 year contract extension at $7 mil per, he wears the C, and is the top minute player on their backend.

How does this NOT scream red flag to everyone in the league? Never mind his terrible possession numbers and the fact that he is going to get progressively slower, the message to FAs is "Stay Away. Our minds change every month and we have no plan."

How the Board of MLSE lets Nonis keep his job right now to make these decisions is shocking.

Seriously…. the Leafs sign Dion to a 7 year contract extension at $7 mil per, he wears the C, and is the top minute player on their backend.

How does this NOT scream red flag to everyone in the league? Never mind his terrible possession numbers and the fact that he is going to get progressively slower, the message to FAs is "Stay Away. Our minds change every month and we have no plan."

How the Board of MLSE lets Nonis keep his job right now to make these decisions is shocking.

ummmm this is Shanahans doing

ummmm this is Shanahans doing

Even so… he hasn't relieved Nonis.

This sends a bad message all over the league about the Leafs. Where are they now? Retool? Full rebuild? Their situation is even more precarious than ours. What message does this send to Phaneuf if they can't move him?

It's just a crazy situation for them to find themselves in 5 years after the Kessel and Phaneuf trades. It's a bleak reality

Edler + Hansen + Schroeder for Spezza.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Kassian Spezza Kesler

Higgins Santorelli Matthias

Booth Richardson Sestito

Bieksa Hamhuis

Tanev Garrison

Stanton Corrado

If there are cap space issues then waive Booth. I'm maybe in the minority here but I don't want to just give spots to rookies. I don't see anything wrong with putting Jensen back in AHL. I hate to see Horvat back in CHL but at the very least it keeps his ELC still at 3 years which may come in more handy when we are contenders again.

Even so… he hasn't relieved Nonis.

This sends a bad message all over the league about the Leafs. Where are they now? Retool? Full rebuild? Their situation is even more precarious than ours. What message does this send to Phaneuf if they can't move him?

It's just a crazy situation for them to find themselves in 5 years after the Kessel and Phaneuf trades. It's a bleak reality

well then that makes us hypocrites then coz we all wanted Edler gone before HIS contrat kicked in....Hansen the same...Luongo only 2 yrs into his....etc..

..also a large faction of us are starting to say/think "Whoooaa Horsy" on the Sedins contracts before THEY kick in.

I can actually see Edmonton sending their 3rd overall + player (Gagne maybe?)to Toronto for Dion and Torontos 8th overall if Ekblad is picked

Then flip their newly aquired 8th in a package to Ott for Spezza

Spezza/Phaneuf would add alot of star power to their line-up but mannnnn.....the turnovers....

The first part of that makes alot of sense. I can see Edmonton trading down and getting two dmen in that regard. They do need a center, which I understand why you said flip the 8th for Spezza. Spezza isn't that type of center they need. In reality, they would need a Kesler/Jordan Staal/Mike Richards/Patrice Bergeron type center. But they don't grow on trees and none will likely waive for Edmonton. Bennett might be a good idea after all!!! Lol

well then that makes us hypocrites then coz we all wanted Edler gone before HIS contrat kicked in....Hansen the same...Luongo only 2 yrs into his....etc..

..also a large faction of us are starting to say/think "Whoooaa Horsy" on the Sedins contracts before THEY kick in.

I'm not one of those people. The Sedin contract is fine because they are near the end of their careers so if they retire there is no complication. Also we've done nothing as a franchise to ostracize them by putting them OTB. Never once has our management done anything to publicly acknowledge their availability. Say what you will about that but optically it shows a lot more respect for your players.

The Edler deal made sense but it's not as long or as high as Phaneuf's. I am certainly not in a rush to move Hansen and it doesn't affect our cap structure.

We are also nearing the end of a cycle so some declines are natural. The Leafs are supposed to be in full upswing with their core in their prime and they just re-signed their main two core pieces long term, to go with large new deals to Clarkson, Bozak and Lupul. The Canucks had one of their worst seasons in 15 years and the Leafs were no better than us. They didn't change their coach, they have no bottom 6, and are in a worse cap situation than we are.

It's brutal. I'm not picking on the Leafs but it's a horrible situation to be in a failed rebuild with the contracts they have.

I would gladly take either player on our team if the price is right.

A Phaneuf - Bieksa pairing playing >50% o-zone starts is a scary thought for the opposition.

A Phaneuf-Bieksa pairing playing anything but beer pong is a scary thought for our goaltenders.

Archived