The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Pittsburgh ownership wants Bylsma gone. (Shero may also be on the block)

It appears the ownership of the Pittsburgh Penguins feels head coach Dan Bylsma is one member of the organization that should take the fall for this year's early playoff exit at the hands of the New York Rangers.

According to Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, sources say ownership believes Bylsma lost the team, especially franchise players Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, and have favoured his dismissal.

Penguins ownership continues to hold meetings that are expected to determine the fate of Bylsma as well as general manager Ray Shero.

The report indicates that ownership feels Shero's signing of Bylsma to a two-year extension after last year's playoff loss to the Boston Bruins in four straight games, ties him to his head coach. Sources told the Tribune-Review that if Bylsma needed to be replaced, Shero may suffer the same fate. Bylsma and Shero both have two years remaining on their current deals.

Sources told the Tribune-Review the players weren't happy with the length of practices, the number of meetings and a general lack of fun atmosphere around the team this season. Specifically, Crosby and Malkin were not happy with the perceived criticism they received from Bylsma during team meetings.

The Penguins will hold their final media availability of the season at CONSOL Energy Center on Thursday.

Source: TSN

Looks like the Canucks second viable coaching candidate may become available soon.

Amazing how much blame Shero is getting after his star players pulled disappearing acts in the playoffs.

Malkin only plays when he wants to, and James Neal was not the same after his concussion.

Not to mention Fleury goes hot and cold, and their defensive depth is nothing short of suspect.

Byslma wouldn't be my first choice, but I have a feeling he'd be a better fit with our current group than Trotz.

I think Crosby is done with the Penguins. His body language after that game 7 wasn't good, it looked like he didn't even care anymore. I think playing for a Canadian market that doesn't have a Cup yet will rejuvenate his career and bring the hunger back *ahem* Canucks :bigblush:

Ownership?

Smells alot like "Rat" Rossi

Shero should be the one walking the plank on this one. He, like Gillis has dealyh away far too many picks and prospects for has been players.

Bylsma's claim is coming in to be the fresh voice right after Therien was canned. Bylsma has simply gotten stale as well.

I think Crosby is done with the Penguins. His body language after that game 7 wasn't good, it looked like he didn't even care anymore. I think playing for a Canadian market that doesn't have a Cup yet will rejuvenate his career and bring the hunger back *ahem* Canucks :bigblush:

If only... I cant even think of a package that would do it. He wont leave Papa Mario though

What a cutthroat business.

He's a great coach and this is a terrible decision.

HF Penguins Board's playoff avatars were themed around Bylsma's ridiculous coaching. I still can't believe he labeled the Penguins a grinding team and not a skill team.

Really though what has he done that proves he is a great coach? His record and cup win are nice but he also inherited a jacked roster with 2 franchise players and MVP's. With a roster like that he should be evaluated on cup wins and not just record or playoff appearances.

Really though what has he done that proves he is a great coach? His record and cup win are nice but he also inherited a jacked roster with 2 franchise players and MVP's. With a roster like that he should be evaluated on cup wins and not just record or playoff appearances.

Pittsburgh's depth has dwindled big time since their cup win. That's on Shero too.

Not to mention dealing with Crosby's concussion saga, and now Letang's health scare.

We wish. Just for the hell of it, would Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, 6th overall pick, and Edler be enough??

We wish. Just for the hell of it, would Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, 6th overall pick, and Edler be enough??

Anything for Crosby or Malkin is good enough.

SHINKARUK - CROSBY - KASSIAN

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - JENSEN

Awkward enough that Henrik does the right thing and hands Crosby the C and focuses on hockey.

I also feel one of Crosby, Malkin or Letang is on the outs.

"I think you guys are gonna wanna hear this. The Vancouver Canucks trade Ryan Kesler, Alexander Edler, Bo Horvat, Jason Garrison and the 6th pick in the 2014 entry draft to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Sidney Crosby and Chris Letang"

GM: Ray Shero

Coach: Barry Trotz

That could really put this team back on top. I'd be satisfied with Benning too though based purely on hype (I have no actual idea what he's capable of.)

Here's to 1-0 games even with a highly talented scoring machine.

Archived