The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] A few good things gillis has done for team

So everyone hated on gillis last few months for the way the season and the luongo situation went down

But he did some good things

1. Good rid of massive goaltending cap hits luo and schneiders were a combined 9.3 two yrs ago

Lack and markstrom cost us 3.15 with lous added salary. Eddie is a steal at 1.15 mill per for two yrs

2. Kassian for hodgson big powerforward for a slow drama queen center winning

3. Found bargain prospects for free or late round steals (tanev, subban, stanton, corrado, kenins, lain, cassels,fox, hutton)

4. Team got a bit bigger mattias and lain are monsters compared to wellwood and mason deer legs raymond.

5. Cap space if booth us bought out we have 15 mill to resign kassian and tanev and 2 free agents or youngsters if they earn spots at training camp not to shabby could get a elite forward or dman excluding any trade that could include kesler edler and hansen.

Futures brighter than u think shinkaruk horvat gaunce jensen could be gamers as well as a good top six pick this yr.

So everyone hated on gillis last few months for the way the season and the luongo situation went down

1. Good rid of massive goaltending cap hits luo and schneiders were a combined 9.3 two yrs ago

Lack and markstrom cost us 3.15 with lous added salary. Eddie is a steal at 1.15 mill per for two yrs

Wouldn't have been a problem if Gillis didn't botch that whole situation. Now we are stuck with a guy who bas 40 games under his belt. Plus he signed them to those contracts that you wanted moved. He ruined that.

Hodgson is better than Kassian. What are we looking for now? Oh ya a young top 6 center.

3. Found bargain prospects for free or late round steals (tanev, subban, stanton, corrado, kenins, lain, cassels,fox, hutton)

Only Tanev, Stanton and Corrado are noteworthy. Everyone else hasn't proven sh!t

4. Team got a bit bigger mattias and lain are monsters compared to wellwood and mason deer legs raymond.

Lain is an AHL player. And Matthias isn't worth Luongo. We lost that trade

5. Cap space if booth us bought out we have 15 mill to resign kassian and tanev and 2 free agents or youngsters if they earn spots at training camp not to shabby could get a elite forward or dman excluding any trade that could include kesler edler and hansen.

Gillis traded for Booth, now we want him bought out. Of we didn't have him in the first place we wouldn't need to buy him out.

Futures brighter than u think shinkaruk horvat gaunce jensen could be gamers as well as a good top six pick this yr.

But we didn't get value for Schneider. Schneider> Horvat

Ya Gillis had some good moves then he ruined this team and its reputation. He was a bad GM no way around it.

Gillis biggest mistake was changing the team philosophy cause he lost to Boston in the Finals. Now, the whole team is a mess. Used to be a fast, skilled team now it's a big, physical, slow, undisciplined team.

First point's pretty timely. Been wanting to mention this. If two or three of our young 'tenders pan out, we're golden.

Hiller, Miller, Niemi, Elliot, et al look like a glut of UFA GT's are coming to market. Meanwhile, a slew of younger/newer ones have recently emerged(Talbot, Jones, Bishop, Scrivens, Gibson, Gudlev, etc...). Probably VERY hard to get a decent return on a 'tender, nowadays.

Yet we got a bigger, younger GT prospect, Matthias & Bo Horvat.

These moves might end up looking much better in the end.

Mason raymond was fast but perimeter player. Id rather see how fox gaunce jensen horvat shinkaruk and maybe virtanen turn out

Hell yeah. Time to get the youth movement going. Even if it is one a year called up just start doing it. So many other teams play there young guns and they turn out fine. Trial by fire !

Some excellent points btw.

Also remember the reason we got into the goalie contract problem was because of MG

I've always blamed Gillis, Luongo, and his agent at the time for that one to be honest. Not equally.. but a contract signing is a collective effort. Gillis does get most of my blame for putting together that thing though.

Luongo's contract only became a problem after the league made it a problem. Much like Kovy's although not as bad.

Gillis didn't do anything special. This team became great on the moves of his predecessor's. Something our next GM won't be lucky enough to have. Would you rather have rookie Bieksa, Kesler Schneider, or Corrado Horvat Eriksson? And which starting goalie would you rather have Luongo or Lack?

so you would rather have Hodgson over Kassian?

I would rather have gotten more in return for coho when he was traded without a doubt, even more than that I would have rather seen coho emerge as a star 2b centre an who for the last couple of years could have given us a lot of flexibility with our top 6 lines. Roll kesler as centre when defence is more appropriate or have the option of kes playing an offensive role on the wing of either henrik or coho. Or even seen what rolling three lines of high end centre talent would have looked while we had two of the best goalies in the world on our team.

I don't have to hate Kassian to think that that trade was not what was best for the organization at that particular point in time. I have discussed this topic to death.

I believe there is a direct correlation to the trade of coho and the insanely rapid descent in hockey quality of the Canucks.

Kassians role of pwf being a necessity for this team going forward was an illusion created by the most lopsidedly favoured league backed team winning the Stanley cup in the history of the nhl.

Finally I don't care if he was a primadonna I don't care if he whined about getting special treatment, that attitude is going to happen when you have a young guy who is good at any pro sport. If he is producing on the ice then let him be a princess off the ice. Nothing I have heard coho do was worse than players like Evander or Patrick Kane doing. Or even Sidney Crosby for that matter. Now I'm not saying he would have reached these players level but I tell you it's a lot easier to reach that elite status if someone has the confidence or some might say arrogance necessary to attain consistent success in the nhl,

Finally I will say Gillis' job was General MANAGER, he should have managed the coho situation better. If everything was true that he said (and if you believe everything that lawyer said I have swamp land filled with gold and oil to sell you) and he truly had to trade him, then the public (including potential trade partners) should have had zero information on the behind the scenes conflict.

Bottom line is MG did NOT manage that situation instead he panicked and off loaded the situation at a time which ensured minimum return for coho (the 11th hour of the trade deadline). Placing coho on the block at the draft to start a bidding war, combined concealing all negative information on him from the public and finally putting him I'm a situation to succeed on the team to raise his stock value would have maximized the return for trading him.

Luongo's contract only became a problem after the league made it a problem. Much like Kovy's although not as bad.

Gillis didn't do anything special. This team became great on the moves of his predecessor's. Something our next GM won't be lucky enough to have. Would you rather have rookie Bieksa, Kesler Schneider, or Corrado Horvat Eriksson? And which starting goalie would you rather have Luongo or Lack?

When Bieksa and Kesler were rookies, people didn't think too much of them either. I think Horvat can be good as or better than Kesler overall and Corrado may not have the same kind of fire/grit of Bieksa but he may turn out pretty good, I can see that he is a smart player. Of the three players, only Schneider was regarded higher compared to Eriksson but who knows the future?

Gillis actually did do a good job overall but his moves after losing to Bruins weren't very good. For example, getting Sundin, Higgins, Malholtra, Hamhuis, and Ehroff were all good moves. Signing the Sedins to 6.1 per year, thereby setting up a cap structure in which no player gets paid more than them and Luongo was also good. Developing Tanev and so-called moneyball signings. I think he was the one who signed Burr to 4x2 million per year contract earlier, which was a great bargain.

I don't think Luongo contract was his bad; other teams did the same and the CBA allowed for such contracts to be signed so why should he be blamed for that? I blame Bettman for wanting to put his ego ahead of everything else to decide to punish these kind of contracts, which ultimately brought on this goalie controversy due to the difficulties associated with unloading Luongo's contract.

My only real complain for Gillis was for the 2011-2012 season. We had two capable goalies and he had to make the decision to trade Schneider for an elite level scorer like MTL did with Vanek or LA with Gaborik this year and Carter 2 years ago. Vanek and Gaborik are not the primary contributors as they were on their old teams, but they supplement already strong team with additional scoring abilities. And we all know how important Carter was to LA in their cup run. 2012 was time for bold moves to go for the cup one more time but instead, he took a safe route, which led to no where but him getting fired.

When Bieksa and Kesler were rookies, people didn't think too much of them either. I think Horvat can be good as or better than Kesler overall and Corrado may not have the same kind of fire/grit of Bieksa but he may turn out pretty good, I can see that he is a smart player. Of the three players, only Schneider was regarded higher compared to Eriksson but who knows the future?

Gillis actually did do a good job overall but his moves after losing to Bruins weren't very good. For example, getting Sundin, Higgins, Malholtra, Hamhuis, and Ehroff were all good moves. Signing the Sedins to 6.1 per year, thereby setting up a cap structure in which no player gets paid more than them and Luongo was also good. Developing Tanev and so-called moneyball signings. I think he was the one who signed Burr to 4x2 million per year contract earlier, which was a great bargain.

I don't think Luongo contract was his bad; other teams did the same and the CBA allowed for such contracts to be signed so why should he be blamed for that? I blame Bettman for wanting to put his ego ahead of everything else to decide to punish these kind of contracts, which ultimately brought on this goalie controversy due to the difficulties associated with unloading Luongo's contract.

My only real complain for Gillis was for the 2011-2012 season. We had two capable goalies and he had to make the decision to trade Schneider for an elite level scorer like MTL did with Vanek or LA with Gaborik this year and Carter 2 years ago. Vanek and Gaborik are not the primary contributors as they were on their old teams, but they supplement already strong team with additional scoring abilities. And we all know how important Carter was to LA in their cup run. 2012 was time for bold moves to go for the cup one more time but instead, he took a safe route, which led to no where but him getting fired.

He was great at loading up on 3rd liners that 's for sure. Tanev gem, Higgins great pick up, Horvat probably Kesler 2.0, Shink could be great too. But Nonis drafted and acquired large portions of that 2011 team's core Gillis "built". Nonis and Burke laid the foundation and built the house, Gillis painted the walls. Gillis is Overrated.

Gillis biggest mistake was changing the team philosophy cause he lost to Boston in the Finals. Now, the whole team is a mess. Used to be a fast, skilled team now it's a big, physical, slow, undisciplined team.

This.

You can't build a team, then flip a switch. Boston needed years to build/sign/draft a certain way. Better to beat them with speed/skill like Washington, Chicago, and Montreal did (and Vancouver, had they not been completely ravaged with injuries), than suddenly change your philosophy.

Archived