The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour- RJ Umberger requests trade

WHAT?? Why are people here underrating Kesler? I don't get it? Its like they are trying to run Kesler out of town like AV and Luongo. I could then see Kesler win another Selke in Columbus and the same people proposing ridiculous proposals like this crying and whining about why they let Kesler go. Kesler>>>>>>Umberger. The 6th draft pick may also be of greater value than Murray depending who falls in our lap. Canucks would be stupid to do that deal.

Well Kesler only has two years left, and if he has a good UFA season (even if not) will likely command a big dollar retirement contract. Either we or someone else is currently getting a two year player for good dollars. Not bad at all but if we don't trade him we likely dont' re-sign him.

On the other hand you're are looking at trading him for a ELC number 2 overall player, possible stud defenceman, whom you could sign for a better contract than Kesler's most likely and have that player for the next 6 years compared to Kesler for 2.

The key to this deal is that if we can retain a quality comparable asset for more than a couple years in the long term we probably are better off.

The 6th pick is pretty steep though. Maybe if we got their first back but that's only like 16th overall. Could work.

Well Kesler only has two years left, and if he has a good UFA season (even if not) will likely command a big dollar retirement contract. Either we or someone else is currently getting a two year player for good dollars. Not bad at all but if we don't trade him we likely dont' re-sign him.

On the other hand you're are looking at trading him for a ELC number 2 overall player, possible stud defenceman, whom you could sign for a better contract than Kesler's most likely and have that player for the next 6 years compared to Kesler for 2.

The key to this deal is that if we can retain a quality comparable asset for more than a couple years in the long term we probably are better off.

The 6th pick is pretty steep though. Maybe if we got their first back but that's only like 16th overall. Could work.

so why would BJs trade a stud #2 overall PMD, who btw, has already established great chemistry and comeradre with the current aged group for a guy they already have (Dubinsky) and only has 2 yrs left and gone? Makes ZERO sense.

RJ was holding out....meanwhile All Heart Kesler came in and signed asap without the same hassle that RJ was demanding. Also Burke wasnt havin anything to do with some rookie coming in and demanding $$. Rightfully so, as RJ didnt hit his stride until shortly after Brian Campbell layed him out like a cheap suit.

Still....RJ for Rucinsky hurts. Do t forget about big plug defenseman Martin Grenier that also came in the deal. Whatever happened to ol Grenier anyways?

RJ was holding out....meanwhile All Heart Kesler came in and signed asap without the same hassle that RJ was demanding. Also Burke wasnt havin anything to do with some rookie coming in and demanding $$. Rightfully so, as RJ didnt hit his stride until shortly after Brian Campbell layed him out like a cheap suit.

Still....RJ for Rucinsky hurts. Do t forget about big plug defenseman Martin Grenier that also came in the deal. Whatever happened to ol Grenier anyways?

I also remember a young kid named Trevor Linden holding out in his first season. That was his first concussion wasn't it? Probably the only guy Campbell has ever hit too.

I also remember a young kid named Trevor Linden holding out in his first season. That was his first concussion wasn't it? Probably the only guy Campbell has ever hit too.

Goes to show a different time era I guess? RJ has had a decent career and mightve helped in his "prime time span", but now he is teetering on "past due date" and has a cap hit comparable to Booth and Burrows and is basically a non factor to BJs. No way does he make in impact, let alone contribute much more than what we have here already. Pass....good luck RJ

so why would BJs trade a stud #2 overall PMD, who btw, has already established great chemistry and comeradre with the current aged group for a guy they already have (Dubinsky) and only has 2 yrs left and gone? Makes ZERO sense.

Well, maybe havin a guy who can do Keslers job (Dubinsky) will free up Kes to focus more on offense similar to the effect Manny Malhotra had in 2011. To me I can see that as a decent selling point.

I thought BB got rid of him because his contract demands were so high?

While not a steadfast rule, every 1st round draft pick gets the max ELC. Brian Burke decided to penny-pinch and played hardball with RJ Umberger by offering him significantly less. Umberger obviously felt slighted and declined to sign. Burke went ahead and offered Kesler the same contract to which he signed.... then Kesler more-or-less publicly told RJ to just sign his contract and "pay his dues", something that's a big no-no, as NHLPA members should never get involved with out members and their contract situations.

As a prospects RJ Umberger was a year older and more highly touted, so there was no real point in Brian Burke being a donkey, save for the fact that he likes to thump his chest and great conflict.

As for now, I wouldn't mind having him on the team. A defensively reliable centre who can both set up and score goals are hard to come by. He's those guys who tends to raise his game during the playoffs. He did pretty much the exact same thing in the playoffs against Montreal back in 08 as Kesler did against Nashville in 11. Won't be willing to trade any valuable pieces to get him, but maybe a lateral contract move like Booth+ for Umberger might be fair for both teams.

People will say whatever they need to, to hate someone for no legitiment reason. This guy probably thinks Gillis put together the 2011 team...

I know,

I wonder if people on this board even realize that Burke saved this franchise from potential bankruptcy and relocation

Brian Lawton was RJ's agent in those days. Brian Burke offered RJ less than what Vancouver had just signed Kesler for. Lawton didn't like that so he elected to have RJ sit out. RJ was then traded to the Rangers. Basic summarization if I remember correctly.

.. Brian Burke low balled him badly, 100 percent Brian burkes fault.

Ryan Kesler was signed to a 850 k contract right away earned it right after his draft. That very same draft year r. J um Berger clearly had much much much more points then Kessler meanwhile all other 2001 nhl 1st round picks were getting the prospect max which was 1.2 million or something. Umberger asked for that price because other 1st round picks in 2001 were getting it and he actually had a very strong season. As I remember the feeling I had about his season that year is the same as horvats is year.

But nope. Brian Burke does not believe he deserved 1.1 million the offer stood at 650 k! Because the brass believed that despite Umberger with superior stats Kessler worked harder and is a better player. Brian Burke offered him 45% less then other 2001 1st . Umberger is a good sport also. He just wanted to get his ahl career started even mentioned about how hs preparing to go to e ahl route.

At this point Umberger was willing to settle for 950 k, still less then 1.1 mill but nope, Burke didn't budge, 650 000 k.

We wasted a 1st rounder

overrated playerseems washed up hope they buy the bum out murray and 1st for kesler and hansen

then tanev and edler for yakupov

draft virtanen and perlini

sedin sedin yakupov

kassian mattias shinkaruk

burrows horvat higgins

kenins richardson lain

jensen sestito

garrison murray

hamhuis corrado

stanton bieska
not to bad a lineup young faster

I know,

I wonder if people on this board even realize that Burke saved this franchise from potential bankruptcy and relocation

I know,

I'll give you a quarter, you make the call. This city would have rioted worse than '11 had Burke gone that route, don't even go that Burke bs route. Brian Burke is all about Brian Burke.

.. Brian Burke low balled him badly, 100 percent Brian burkes fault.

Ryan Kesler was signed to a 850 k contract right away earned it right after his draft. That very same draft year r. J um Berger clearly had much much much more points then Kessler meanwhile all other 2001 nhl 1st round picks were getting the prospect max which was 1.2 million or something. Umberger asked for that price because other 1st round picks in 2001 were getting it and he actually had a very strong season. As I remember the feeling I had about his season that year is the same as horvats is year.

But nope. Brian Burke does not believe he deserved 1.1 million the offer stood at 650 k! Because the brass believed that despite Umberger with superior stats Kessler worked harder and is a better player. Brian Burke offered him 45% less then other 2001 1st . Umberger is a good sport also. He just wanted to get his ahl career started even mentioned about how hs preparing to go to e ahl route.

At this point Umberger was willing to settle for 950 k, still less then 1.1 mill but nope, Burke didn't budge, 650 000 k.

We wasted a 1st rounder

To cut Burke some slack on his hard nose attitude. Things were not going well in Canuckistan at that time. Not selling out and owned by McCaw down in Seattle. Burke did not have free reign on spending

like Gillis had or Linden will have.

overrated playerseems washed up hope they buy the bum out murray and 1st for kesler and hansen

then tanev and edler for yakupov

draft virtanen and perlini

sedin sedin yakupov

kassian mattias shinkaruk

burrows horvat higgins

kenins richardson lain

jensen sestito

garrison murray

hamhuis corrado

stanton bieska

not to bad a lineup young faster

...and by doing a very small amount of research, you'd see that the players in your lineup are not placed in their natural positions.

• 4 weeks later...

According to Bob McKenzie, the Blue Jackets need to figure out what they are doing with R.J. Umberger. He asked for a trade on May 3rd. He has three years left at $4.5 million per year. The Blue Jackets last resort would be to buy Umberger out, but they hope they are able to trade him.

Archived