The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miller wants to join a contender; possible new connection to Canucks?

TheRussianRocket.

Miller as a one year mentor for Lack so Markstrom can have a year of seasoning in Utica?

Markstrom really doesn't have anything left to prove in the AHL, he's 24 & has already proven he can be a great goalie at that level.

We need to start bringing him along at this level. I honestly like the idea of a Markstrom/Lack tandem, they are great friends & have been together as a tandem before. Yeah there may be some bumps in the road, but Lack has already shown he can be a pretty good starter at this level, now its about them just both progressing & Markstrom showing he can be the same.

Lack is more proven, but Markstrom could come in next year and have a season like Lack did last year, and begin to assert himself as a real solid NHL goalie, then there would be pretty good competition between the two which would be great for both.

Lack and Markstrom are our guys going forward. Anyway goaltending isn't the problem for us, contender or not...

I'd say goaltending is a huge question mark. I'd give em a year before saying they are an area of strength on this team. We have question marks all over our line up and I'm not against improving any where and everywhere.

Being a playoff team next season is being optimistic unless we make some big changes.

Squeaking into the playoffs, sure. But actually doing something when we get there is another story.

Too many moves need to be made to realistically expect it to happen in one season. Therefore preparing our young players should be the number 1 goal next season. That includes making sure Lack isn't being thrown into the fire too soon.

Miller likely isn't the right fit here, but I think a veteran goalie could be very helpful for Lack.

Well, when you consider the injuries we had this season, and how they along with Torts, completely derailed the season, I think there is a decent chance we could be back in the playoffs.

There are alot of good pieces on the team, with the right coach, I don't see why we couldn't be a top 8 team. Yeah we aren't a cup contender like Chicago or LA, but we could still make the playoffs, maybe even go a round. MTL went from a top 3 pick, to being in the playoffs the next season, and now a year later are in the ECF.

The team we saw last season isn't what this team could be IMO. I guess that's my main point. The team how it is is capable of more, and there is upside for young players to contribute, and new moves to be made with a new management group.

Were fine with Lack. No need to cough up 5-6 million for Miller.

I agree. I'd be okay with signing another backup goalie to take some of the work load off of Eddie, (someone like Montoya or Greiss) but I see no point in shelling out big money on a goaltender at this juncture.

I'd be more inclined to wait until next year and see Schneider is interested in a return to Vancity. Barring that, there are guys like Bishop and Cam Talbot who may be available, if Lack hasn't progressed as hoped.

Lack Is the starter and he looked ready. He played something like 20 games straight, that's ridiculous. Obviously he was going to have some blow out games but for the most part he kept us in the game every night. Don't forget Luongo had a span of 3 or 4 games where he let in 3 or more. That's how Lack stole his job. Our problem isn't goaltending, it never was. We need to score more goals.

Lack Is the starter and he looked ready. He played something like 20 games straight, that's ridiculous. Obviously he was going to have some blow out games but for the most part he kept us in the game every night. Don't forget Luongo had a span of 3 or 4 games where he let in 3 or more. That's how Lack stole his job. Our problem isn't goaltending, it never was. We need to score more goals.

:picard:

Lack blew a 3 (?) goal lead in the third period to NYI no? In the THIRD period. He had his fair share of 3 GAA games. Surprised people still like to use Luongo as a whiping boy. He's gone, move on. Lack isn't all that great. I love him but be realistic.

I doubt Miller will join Vancouver. As we are right now, the team is most definitely not a contender. It'll have to be a very aggressive retooling and a very quick retooling for Miller to look our direction. I'm sure he'll sign a team on his first day as a free agent. And so that's the deadline.

All things said, I do not want Miller to join Vancouver. He is a shell of what he used to be.

I wouldn't be so sure about keeping both. Especially with Eriksson developing very nicely in the minors.

If we can get a significant piece for one of them, it would have to be considered.

If this is a full on rebuild, a franchise goalie will need to be drafted at some point in the future.

We don't know the exact plan yet.

I'm sure we'll hear about it soon though.

:picard:

Lack blew a 3 (?) goal lead in the third period to NYI no? In the THIRD period. He had his fair share of 3 GAA games. Surprised people still like to use Luongo as a whiping boy. He's gone, move on. Lack isn't all that great. I love him but be realistic.

Lack was amazing when Luongo was here. Things changed as soon as he left.

He did quite well considering, but you could tell the pressure got to him.

I would hate to see us ruin two solid young goalies by forcing them into something they're not fully ready for. Even Schneider was mentored until he was 27.

Lack was amazing when Luongo was here. Things changed as soon as he left.

He did quite well considering, but you could tell the pressure got to him.

I would hate to see us ruin two solid young goalies by forcing them into something they're not fully ready for. Even Schneider was mentored until he was 26.

Totally agree but no way in hell we want Lack learning anything from that whinniy b...h Miller. He would pollute and already excellent goaltenders mind. Lack does not need Millers tutelage.

Well, when you consider the injuries we had this season, and how they along with Torts, completely derailed the season, I think there is a decent chance we could be back in the playoffs.

There are alot of good pieces on the team, with the right coach, I don't see why we couldn't be a top 8 team. Yeah we aren't a cup contender like Chicago or LA, but we could still make the playoffs, maybe even go a round. MTL went from a top 3 pick, to being in the playoffs the next season, and now a year later are in the ECF.

The team we saw last season isn't what this team could be IMO. I guess that's my main point. The team how it is is capable of more, and there is upside for young players to contribute, and new moves to be made with a new management group.

You're right, we're not a Cup contender. So why keep trying to delay the rebuild?

And the Habs situation was a bit different. They had a young core already in place so getting some addition pieces was a no-brainer. When you have Price, Subban, Gallagher, Galynchuk, Pacioretty, Eller...etc just entering the prime of their careers, you have a good shot by putting the right pieces around them. But they had to be bad for a few years to get those pieces.

We don't have that luxury. Our core is spent and we have few assets that if moved now can get us young prospects and picks we so desperately need to set us up to be able to compete for the Cup in a few years.

Can this group improve on last year? Of course it can. A new coach alone should help that. But if the goal is to be a serious contender in the next few years and beyond, we have to get past this mindset that making the playoffs should be our goal.

Given the strength and the relatively young ages of the cores of the top teams in the West, sacrificing the rebuild in order to get 4 or 5 playoff games just doesn't make sense to me.

Lebrun said on insider trading a few minutes ago that Anaheim & San Jose will not pursue Miller.

If he wants to play in the West Minnesota, Edmonton, Calgary & Winnipeg would probably be the only options. My guess is he might have some interest in going to Minny, but not to the others.

In the East PIT makes sense if they can move Fleury. Aside from him most of the other teams looking for goaltenders aren't contending.

Washington & Philly might be options, but Washington isn't exactly contending, though if they make so me moves they have potential to be a very good team again.

Philly I would wonder if they would be interesting in signing Miller after the Bryz fiasco. If its a short term deal they might have some interest. But at the same time, Steve Mason was really good for them so they might just want to stick with him.

PIT & Minny are the ones that make the most sense to me if both Miller & those teams would be interested.

There are questions of whether Lack is ready to be the clear cut starter though. He was not the same goalie after Luongo left.

Having a mentor for him for a year wouldn't be the worst thing for his development.

Lack would certainly have value in a package deal, as we've seen with other goalies with similar experience. Not saying I want to trade him, but if a team like Winnipeg were somehow interested in him as part of a package for Kane, it would have to be considered.

Lack played decent in front of what was a train wreck after the Luo trade. Luo did all the mentoring needed. He did play behind Cory Schnieder for a while too.

As much I want Kane, it is going to cost the Canucks the earth and sky. It's not worth parting with Lack, Shinkaruk/Gaunce and the 6th overall pick

You're right, we're not a Cup contender. So why keep trying to delay the rebuild?

And the Habs situation was a bit different. They had a young core already in place so getting some addition pieces was a no-brainer. When you have Price, Subban, Gallagher, Galynchuk, Pacioretty, Eller...etc just entering the prime of their careers, you have a good shot by putting the right pieces around them. But they had to be bad for a few years to get those pieces.

We don't have that luxury. Our core is spent and we have few assets that if moved now can get us young prospects and picks we so desperately need to set us up to be able to compete for the Cup in a few years.

Can this group improve on last year? Of course it can. A new coach alone should help that. But if the goal is to be a serious contender in the next few years and beyond, we have to get past this mindset that making the playoffs should be our goal.

Given the strength and the relatively young ages of the cores of the top teams in the West, sacrificing the rebuild in order to get 4 or 5 playoff games just doesn't make sense to me.

Why do we need to rebuild? It hasn't been years of failure, we had a bad year after making a poor coaching hire & facing a rash of injuries.

I don't see our situation as that much different from MTL. They had good players & good pieces but had underpreformed.

they have Price as a anchor, we don't have someone like that, but I do think we have better veterans than MTL did/does. And as far as those other guys go (Subban. Pacioretty) they kind of jumped out of nowhere & became better than expected, now I'm not saying we will have a Norris winner, but some of our prospects could surprise aswell, maybe not to that level, but knows.

I don't think we are going to be as good as they were as soon as they are, but the point was, like them last year (not so much this year) we could be back in the playoffs next year if our core players can get back to playing the way they can under the right coach.

Then we do have some good young prospects, and roster players, that we can begin to integrate next season. If we can integrate young talent while being in the playoffs, it instill a winning mentality in them, which IMO is very important. Rather than tanking & becoming an EDM or like Florida used to be for so long.

Archived