The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miller wants to join a contender; possible new connection to Canucks?

TheRussianRocket.

This is what I fail to understand. What is the point of squeaking into the playoffs all to get blown away in the first round or get a cheap thrill as the underdog who went to 7 games..........all to pay the very heavy price for that week and a half of thrill by then drafting 15-to 19?

Take the thrills from Oct to Dec, start to tank in Jan and land in the top 5 in April to score a franchise pick in June.

Um... $2,000,000.00 per game to the owners?

If you want to have a full house cap team year after year, better to make the playoffs.

As far as the business is concerned, it's not the right time to "re-build". Its a real tough sell, not so much to sell some of the current fans, but to win some bandwagoners back and increase Canuck nation you have to win and make the postseason.

The Canuck brand took a major hit this year and took huge losses on budgeted merch sales. They know internally that they HAVE to give the team a makeover, but not one thatll set the team back for 3-5 years.

I agree with some of the notion on 1040 that we'll see Benning move Kesler for a deal similar in structure to the Seguin deal. You lose the best player in the deal, add a known commodity, add a NHL ready prospect, and perhaps a future asset. While he may also have to give up a Peverley (Hansen) in the deal as well.

Thats the Bruins model that he can bring. Its not all about the top end individual (as seen in moving Kessel and Seguin), it's about constantly feeding team depth. Giving up the "A" player for two or three "B + C" players may not be as sexy for fans to dream about, but it certainly can help build a team for success. THis is also what made some of Pat Quinns teams successful (Adams McLean for Sundstrom + picks / Courtnall Ronning Dirk Momesso for Butcher, D.Quinn / J.Brown Hedican Lafayette for Craig Janney...etc.) and what TL believes in building. Also how some of the most successful teams in the league are built, and also why a team like CBJ benefited by moving Nash for example.

how come so many fans think our young goalies need so much sheltering? only reason schnieds was back up for so long was because he was stuck behind Lu...if hes on 20 other teams he wouldve been a 4 year starter already.

lack has shown he has all the skills needed to be a good starting goalie... why waste money on vet starter to mentor him, when money could be better used to upgrade the team in front of him? .. a better team in front of him will help a lot more..

and look at other starting goalies in the league and how many games they played as back up before they were named starters.... Quick 30ish games before he was the clear cut starter...Crawford 8 games ... Bishop 45games... Niemi 20ish games...MIller 40ish games...howard 9 games....price 41 games..cam ward 28 games...ect....lack has played 41.

if you need 90 games over 3 season to make up your mind on a goalie then he isnt a starter. everyone knew in 2010-11 season schnieds had everything it takes to be a good starter in this league and that was with 20ish games under his belt.. but he was just in a bad spot like bernier was behind Quick or rask behind Thomas.

I don't see Lack needing much sheltering. He took the ball last season and for the most part, ran with it.

However, I didn't like what little we saw of Markstrom. It's my opinion that he'd be better served playing more minutes in the minors. This is why I've been advocating the signing of an inexpensive backup, with more proven NHL numbers. Montoya and Greiss are the two that I'd consider if I were Benning.

It's all about the pitch my friend. Looking back yes the canucks are not a contender. Moving forward the canucks are ready to compete with Anaheim , LA Chicago with a few tweaks and additions.

Starting with a strong starter in Miller the canucks will once again be a contender.

A kesler edler and gaunce trade to Florida for the #1 overall pick to draft Ekblad . Take Virtanen with #6

Then trade burrows shinkaruk and a 2016 1st to boston for soderberg. Sign fa jussi jokinen

Sedins kassian

Virtanen soderberg jokinen

Higgins horvat Hansen

Mattias Richardson sestito

Tanev hamhuis

Ekblad bieksa

Garrison Stanton

Miller lack

Now that's a contender

First of all, that's a bit more player movement than a "few tweaks".

Second, I disagree that the team that you propose is a "contender". Maybe down the road when Ekblad and Virtanen are ready for prime time, but by then a lot of the rest of that roster will not be.

FWIW, I'm all for moving pieces if they can land us blue-chip prospects and/or high draft picks, but those two things don't instantly turn a roster into a legitimate contender.

Has Brodeur re-signed in NJ?

Pipe dream :P

Maybe not so much. While I agree that Marty would most likely want to finish his career in Jersey, he also is not content with a purely backup role and I believe that Lou plans to give Schneids the starter's role next season.

Marty would have a reasonable chance of supplanting Lack as the Canucks' start, so in this particular instance, I would call the possibility "unlikely", rather than "impossible". The real trick would be convincing him to move to the west and sign for less than the 5 million he made last year.

This is what I fail to understand. What is the point of squeaking into the playoffs all to get blown away in the first round or get a cheap thrill as the underdog who went to 7 games..........all to pay the very heavy price for that week and a half of thrill by then drafting 15-to 19?

Take the thrills from Oct to Dec, start to tank in Jan and land in the top 5 in April to score a franchise pick in June.

"You miss one hundred percent of the shots you don't take"

The only guaranteed way you don't win a cup is to not make the playoffs.

The Canucks just managed to move an aging, relatively 'important' goaltender who had a fairly lofty contract - no need to take on another imo - and highly doubt / would be very surprised if the management team would be interested in that route.

Heard on TSN back on Wesnesday that Anaheim and San Jose won't be trying to sign Miller.

Miller has never been same since 2010 Vancouver and Golden Goal.

Maybe, but I'd be more inclined to say since this:

hard to rebuild when the veteran core is lock up for the next 3 plus seasons all with NTC's. not to mention this team isn't nearly as bad as the last season the injuries the nut job coach that took point per game players and turned them into shot blocking dump and change drones.

miller or hiller would be a huge improvement in net not to bash lack or markstrom but neither is a #1 at this point. two top six forwards and a good coach with a system that works with the player this team has and i would say this team would be very competitive.

how come so many fans think our young goalies need so much sheltering? only reason schnieds was back up for so long was because he was stuck behind Lu...if hes on 20 other teams he wouldve been a 4 year starter already.

I listen to the experts. The Between the Pipes guy who is an expert of goaltending made an excellent point about Lack. He needs to play fewer games like 40-50 max for the next year or two.

He explained that it was clear that Lack missed the time with the goalie coach keeping his technique sharp and started losing his positioning and such as he played that big string of games this season... which is apparently an issue often with bigger goaltenders. He said that he needs another year or two playing at most in a 1a/1b scenario where he knows he can have 3-4 days off between most starts so he can get his work in at practice. That way he gets to polish things up before becoming a full-time starter.

Even in a backup role I don't want him, Markstrom was a 1st round pick and now has arguably the best goalie coach in the league.

Let's have some bloody patience for once in our championless lives.

Correction.

Markstrom was actually drafted 31st overall making him a 2nd round pick.

Archived