The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot/Olli Maata, to have surgery

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=452795

"Pittsburgh Penguins prospect Derrick Pouliot underwent shoulder surgery on Wednesday and may not be ready to take to the ice for the start of the 2014-15 season.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, Pouliot will be out four to six months as he recovers.

The 20-year-old defenceman was drafted in the first round, eighth overall, of the 2012 NHL Draft by the Penguins. He scored 17 goals and 53 assists in 58 games with the WHL's Portland Winterhawks this season.

McKenzie also reports that Penguins defenceman Olli Maatta will undergo shoulder surgery on Thursday.

Maatta played in 78 games with the Penguins this season, scoring nine goals and adding 20 assists. He appeared in all 13 of the Penguins' playoff games, notching four assists."

Knowing that Pouliot might not be ready for the start of the season, does that change anything in a potential trade with Pittsburgh for Kesler?

As much as I like Pouliot, I still think he would need at least half a season (if not a full one) in the AHL to really round up his game and adjust to the Pros. I wouldn't want a Morgan Reilly scenario, where one week he's the best the defenseman on the team and next one he's a healthy scratch. I'd rather have him log lots of icetime.

For me Pouliot wouldn't be a factor next year anyways, so i'd still be open for such a trade. It would only delays his AHL stints.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=452795

"Pittsburgh Penguins prospect Derrick Pouliot underwent shoulder surgery on Wednesday and may not be ready to take to the ice for the start of the 2014-15 season.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, Pouliot will be out four to six months as he recovers.

The 20-year-old defenceman was drafted in the first round, eighth overall, of the 2012 NHL Draft by the Penguins. He scored 17 goals and 53 assists in 58 games with the WHL's Portland Winterhawks this season.

McKenzie also reports that Penguins defenceman Olli Maatta will undergo shoulder surgery on Thursday.

Maatta played in 78 games with the Penguins this season, scoring nine goals and adding 20 assists. He appeared in all 13 of the Penguins' playoff games, notching four assists."

Knowing that Pouliot might not be ready for the start of the season, does that change anything in a potential trade with Pittsburgh for Kesler?

As much as I like Pouliot, I still think he would need at least half a season (if not a full one) in the AHL to really round up his game and adjust to the Pros. I wouldn't want a Morgan Reilly scenario, where one week he's the best the defenseman on the team and next one he's a healthy scratch. I'd rather have him log lots of icetime.

For me Pouliot wouldn't be a factor next year anyways, so i'd still be open for such a trade.

Of course it does.

Not for me, the kid is still the best defencman not in the NHL. The surgery shouldn't scare anyone. I mean, how many surgeries has Kesler had? There's a lot more miles on that body and for most people he's not too much of a concern.

Idk, a prospect not being ready for camp is a huge blow to their development.

Not for me, the kid is still the best defencman not in the NHL. The surgery shouldn't scare anyone. I mean, how many surgeries has Kesler had? There's a lot more miles on that body and for most people he's not too much of a concern.

Some folks would have you think it is the end of his career .. it seems most players experience shoulder trouble in their careers .. medicine has come a long way.

I don't for one moment think it should be a sticking point at all. As a matter of fact Add in a low grade D prospect with Kesler in a Pitts deal to facilitate the trade and loss of Maata and Pouliot for a further return.

Bennett Pouliot and a 1st 2nd and 5th for Kesler and...Sauve/Blain and a 7th?

I added on the 2nd and 5th because now as Pouliot is indeed damaged it makes Bennett and the 1st the bigger parts of the deal

It certainly impacts it. Trades are rarely made for someone that just had surgury and is starting a 6 month recovery period. That is major. In this case it may mean that Kesler would not be made available for trade at the deadline to the Penguinos but they would look at a trade closer to the start of the season when Poliout's recovery would be well under way and a safer evaluation can be made.

Yeah, I change my mind. In no way should shoulder surgery affect any moves/picks being made by our team.

Esp. when all these kids will be doing is taking time away from other potential injuries. And esp. when they likely won't even be needed by the Canucks during this time.

Ekblad and Reinhart are better.

Archived