The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Willie Desjardins]CoachCareer 6/3 update:In Calder Cup Final

Merci

We didn't lose out on trotz...... Please get this fact straight..... We will not be pressured into doing anything unreasonable.

Worse - we were never in the Trotz discussion when we should have been. Call it what you want - bad timing cost us a coach who would have helped this team more than anyone else. Desjardins, Stevens and Crawford don't compare to Trotz.

Trotz is still a great coach, he just had a horrible team in front of him that he couldn't squeeze anymore. Watch him have success everywhere he goes - similar to Boudreau, Sutter, Therrien and Hitchcock. These are great NHL all-time coaches and they're hard to come by, but when one does become available, the team needs to pounce on them.

We simply weren't as ready as Washington was when they signed Trotz and it'll be a huge regret, mark my words. The Caps will thrive with him while we'll either have an AHL coach, assistant turned head coach or Marc Crawford.

Worse - we were never in the Trotz discussion when we should have been. Call it what you want - bad timing cost us a coach who would have helped this team more than anyone else. Desjardins, Stevens and Crawford don't compare to Trotz.

Trotz is still a great coach, he just had a horrible team in front of him that he couldn't squeeze anymore. Watch him have success everywhere he goes - similar to Boudreau, Sutter, Therrien and Hitchcock. These are great NHL all-time coaches and they're hard to come by, but when one does become available, the team needs to pounce on them.

We simply weren't as ready as Washington was when they signed Trotz and it'll be a huge regret, mark my words. The Caps will thrive with him while we'll either have an AHL coach, assistant turned head coach or Marc Crawford.

I agree we did miss out on Trotz, but I rather we take our time and hire an experienced aGM to be GM (Benning) and let him be part of the discussion on who the coach should be and how the team will be constructed. Washington has been having subpar GMing for a while and they decide to promote a guy from within AND hire the coach at the same time seems like a very risky move to me.

I don't think it's question of bad timing or the Canucks' front office being unprepared. I think Trotz picked the Caps for reasons that had nothing to do with the Canucks situation—that is, his previous connection to the Caps organization.

It was kind of shocking that he signed with the Caps so soon because he'd previously said in an interview that he wasn't in a rush to sign with another team.

According to Elliotte Friedman of CBC, the Panthers will have interest in Dan Bylsma, Gerard Gallant and three coaches who are still working: Willie Desjardins, Ulf Samuelsson and John Stevens. The Canucks are interested in Desjardins and Stevens. The Kings may try to hold on to Stevens by telling him that he’ll be Darryl Sutter’s successor. The Ducks may look to bring in AHLs Trent Yawney to work beside Bruce Boudreau.

How do you even know Trotz wanted to come here? You don't.

Maybe they talked to him and he said not interested right away.

This is the false belief that Canucks fans have. That every coach and player wants to play here. They don't.

Nick Kypreos: “If you connect the dots, Willie Desjardins and the Canucks are a logical choice here”

The more I read on Desjardins the more I like him. Seems like a players coach and a proven winner. I'd have no problem with him being the new head coach.

Desjardins does have a decent team to work with in Texas.

Scott Glennie - 8th overall 2009

Brett Ritchie - 44th overall 2011

Cameron Gaunce - 50th overall 2008

Radek Faksa - 13th overall 2012

Jack Campbell - 11th overall 2010

This idea that he's this amazing groomer of young players is kind of flawed. He's had good talent to work with in Texas.

This idea that he's this amazing groomer of young players is kind of flawed. He's had good talent to work with in Texas.

Faksa, Glennie & Gaunce are nothing special. Desjardins has done a great job in Texas.

Faksa, Glennie & Gaunce are nothing special. Desjardins has done a great job in Texas.

Glennie, Campbell, and Ritchie are all good prospects.

They have a good compliment of vets too.

He hasn't done something with nothing like some people are claiming. The Stars have had good scouting over the last 6 years.

Jack Campbell is the backup goalie.

Scott Glennie is 9th on the team in scoring (going by playoff stats).

Ritchie is 10th (albeit few GP)

Gaunce is a dman, so harder to judge.

Faska has a grand total of four points.

Its not like Desjardins has been sitting back and relying on high draft picks who are about to make the step to the NHL in the near future.

http://www.texasstarshockey.com/stats/player-stats

Glennie, Campbell, and Ritchie are all good prospects.

They have a good compliment of vets too.

He hasn't done something with nothing like some people are claiming. The Stars have had good scouting over the last 6 years.

Glennie isnt rly that good a prospect, he doesnt seem to have much of an NHL future.

They have put together a good team, but the coach still deserves alot of credit for being able to bring everyone together to get the most of of the team.

Archived