The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada wants its own Hawaii

Armada

Funnily enough, i lived in Turks and Caicos for 6 months a few years back, its a very interesting island, Turks has some of the most diverse populations with a mix of many of the Caribbean neighbours (Jamaican, Haitian, St. Lucian, etc etc). I believe for the last two years the RCMP has their own men down there stationed.

Theres alot of crime going on down there or at least 1-2 years ago, TCI became a big hotspot in the last 10-15 yrs and the hotel industry has exponentially grown there, alot of crime has become from that, robbing tourists, guns/drugs running through the country when it had never a problem with 20 yrs ago. With that being said, Turks and Caicos is an amazing place, with some of the best beaches i've ever been in the world, some of the best foods, and culture. with a government like canada ruling over it, turks could become the biggest tourism hotspot for canadians.. without a need for a passport... thats a game changer. I;d say about 1/10 - 1/15 of the island is already Canadian, I for one would definitely consider moving there if Canada adopted it as a province :D

I don't think I'd feel comfortable adding another territory, maybe because it's not in our nature to "annex" others or possibly because things are relatively fine in terms of the global geographic scheme of things and the age of empires are over so we should probably focus on bettering the country we already have instead of enlarging it.

5) How Canadians will react when/if Canada qualify for a Football cup?

Probably the same thing we do know...mock the players while viewing diving videos on youtube, then go watch the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Why would we want them as part of Canada? Whats in it for us? Would it be somehow cheaper for Canadians to vacation there then it currently is? We can already go there whenever we want so whats the big deal?

Members of Parliament want it so they can have excuses for the taxpayer to pay for them to go down there regularly.

We could get jobs there more easily and move there.

Want to really cause a stir? Offer Cuba a chance to join Canada. Hey they already have socialized medicine. We can then demand the US leave Canadian soil and close Guantanamo Bay, and set up our Frigates there.

(Then 20 minutes later the US will invade Canada and Cuba they'd be so ticked).

When Justin Trudeau gets in, I hope he regains close ties to the Castros and Cuba that his dad had and gets closer to Russia and takes off the sanctions. Tired of Canada being USA's little bitch and doing whatever they say. It's time they allied with Russia and China and got away from the US. Screw Britain too, take their queen off Canada's money. Let Cuba keep its communism but support them and name them a province of Canada and let them have their own capital. Kick the USA out and up the trade with Cuba big time and ban all US tourists from visiting Cuba since they are disliked there. Mission accomplished.

Anyone who would compare this to Crimea is either ignorant to the facts or taking a blind anti-conservative stance. This from a card carrying Liberal. It's very true that economically, the Turks and Caicos would have more to gain early on than Canada would, but just because you don't understand global economics enough to identify pros and cons, doesn't mean they don't exist. There's no room for uneducated opinion in foreign policy and economics. Opinions are useless in the face of facts. It's unclear at his point how it would play out, it's been talked about for years. One thing is for sure, having a Caribbean island as a territory would open up trade in the region and facilitate trade with the emerging powers in South America....That is fact.

Anyone who would compare this to Crimea is either ignorant to the facts or taking a blind anti-conservative stance. This from a card carrying Liberal. It's very true that economically, the Turks and Caicos would have more to gain early on than Canada would, but just because you don't understand global economics enough to identify pros and cons, doesn't mean they don't exist. There's no room for uneducated opinion in foreign policy and economics. Opinions are useless in the face of facts. It's unclear at his point how it would play out, it's been talked about for years. One thing is for sure, having a Caribbean island as a territory would open up trade in the region and facilitate trade with the emerging powers in South America....That is fact.

:lol: captain serious.

Its a joke.

Elected officials of Turks and Caicos have already expressed strong interest in this happening. i think for Canada it comes down to a few things:

1. Will it be profitable or will it cost us more money to annex the islands

2. What international controversies, if any, would it cause and how would we deal with them?

3. How would we maintain control of the islands?

Elected officials of Turks and Caicos have already expressed strong interest in this happening. i think for Canada it comes down to a few things:

1. Will it be profitable or will it cost us more money to annex the islands

2. What international controversies, if any, would it cause and how would we deal with them?

3. How would we maintain control of the islands?

Why would there be an international controversy?

The entire Turks and Caicos is only 615 or so square kilometers of land. Theres not a lot of anything down there.

EDIT: For comparisons sake Vancouver island is roughly 50 times larger at 31,000 square kilometers.

PEI, 5660 sq. Kms.

Maybe we should look at someplace...you know....bigger?

Why would there be an international controversy?

I am not saying that there would be one but preparing for the worst is always a smart plan. In the case that any country decided to be against it and cause a ruckus it is only beneficial to have a plan to handle the situation.

On a positive note, Canada wouldn't have to worry about stationing troops in the area. The United States Southern Command/Fourth Fleet patrols that part of the world.

I highly doubt though that Canada's Queen *snicker* (Even though Canada has it's own independent gov't, it is still weird when I think about that) and Her Parliament would let Canada have the island(s) though.

When Justin Trudeau gets in, I hope he regains close ties to the Castros and Cuba that his dad had and gets closer to Russia and takes off the sanctions. Tired of Canada being USA's little bitch and doing whatever they say. It's time they allied with Russia and China and got away from the US. Screw Britain too, take their queen off Canada's money. Let Cuba keep its communism but support them and name them a province of Canada and let them have their own capital. Kick the USA out and up the trade with Cuba big time and ban all US tourists from visiting Cuba since they are disliked there. Mission accomplished.

I realize that you have a post count of 7 and that you are on an alternate trolling account but for "$hits and giggles" I'm going to respond anyways because I'm bored.

Since when did Canada become the U.S.'s bitch? Canada and the U.S. have many mutual interests so it only makes sense that both countries have close and mutually beneficial ties.

You refer to Canada as "they" just before you refer to Russia and China, so obviously you aren't Canadian. Guess which country in the world exports the most oil to the U.S. and makes an enormous amount of money in the process? Canada. Canada allying with Russia and China will not happen in any of our lifetimes.

You also refer to Queen Elizabeth as "their Queen". Any actual Canadian would know that constitutionally, Canada still has a Queen. Not to mention that any actual intelligent Canadian would call Her the "Queen of the U.K." and not "Britain's queen".

Finally, Cuba as a whole does not want to lose U.S. tourists whether they like the actual people or not. It would be a blow to their economy.

Sadly between your obvious ignorance of the world and silly comments, I would bet money that you live here in the U.S. and are most likely between 12-14 years old and for whatever butt-kissing reason, you are trying to pretend that you are Canadian because you are on a Canadian message board.

Try cracking open a book at some point and learn a little bit more about the world before you go spouting off about things and putting down a country that you know next to nothing about. Use your real account next time so we all know in advance to ignore all of your future posts.

:lol: captain serious.

Its a joke.

Call me the John Toews of Geopolitics. Step 1.) Hit my knee with a words. Step 2.) Watch my knee jerk response. Step 3.) Go under bridge, laugh and revel in success.

I will probably never learn....but I can laugh along.

We could get jobs there more easily and move there.

You and a few hundred thousand other Canadians would want the same thing. Jobs would become impossible to get since its such a small land mass and only 35,000 people currently live there. There would be a housing boom for a few years so if your in construction you can work there for a while but still you would be competing with maybe 1000 people for every job. It would become retirement land for well off Canadians and second/third home land for rich Canadians. For the average Canadian it would be a friendly place to travel on vacation. Like it already is.

If done properly I'm for including TaC as well as Cuba. With the Castros getting ancient Cuba will be having a large change anyway, and why not Canada with our type of government/medicare etc?

I'd truly like to see Canada get off it's ass and do something progressive, show the world you can grow without violence.

I realize that you have a post count of 7 and that you are on an alternate trolling account but for "$hits and giggles" I'm going to respond anyways because I'm bored.

Since when did Canada become the U.S.'s bitch? Canada and the U.S. have many mutual interests so it only makes sense that both countries have close and mutually beneficial ties.

You refer to Canada as "they" just before you refer to Russia and China, so obviously you aren't Canadian. Guess which country in the world exports the most oil to the U.S. and makes an enormous amount of money in the process? Canada. Canada allying with Russia and China will not happen in any of our lifetimes.

You also refer to Queen Elizabeth as "their Queen". Any actual Canadian would know that constitutionally, Canada still has a Queen. Not to mention that any actual intelligent Canadian would call Her the "Queen of the U.K." and not "Britain's queen".

Finally, Cuba as a whole does not want to lose U.S. tourists whether they like the actual people or not. It would be a blow to their economy.

Sadly between your obvious ignorance of the world and silly comments, I would bet money that you live here in the U.S. and are most likely between 12-14 years old and for whatever butt-kissing reason, you are trying to pretend that you are Canadian because you are on a Canadian message board.

Try cracking open a book at some point and learn a little bit more about the world before you go spouting off about things and putting down a country that you know next to nothing about. Use your real account next time so we all know in advance to ignore all of your future posts.

tl;dr

haha a Sabres fan

If done properly I'm for including TaC as well as Cuba. With the Castros getting ancient Cuba will be having a large change anyway, and why not Canada with our type of government/medicare etc?

I'd truly like to see Canada get off it's ass and do something progressive, show the world you can grow without violence.

I have a better chance of having a certain beloved appendage growing a few inches overnight than Canada has of getting Cuba. If the pains in the arses in Miami and the rest of Southern Florida are any indication, Cuba would be more trouble than it's worth.

Archived