The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The fans destroyed this team

Makall

I have been a fan of this team through the good year and the bad since the 80's. I have since moved from Vancouver and British Columbia and set roots in multiple other cities and while I have remained a diehard Canucks fan, even though now I am on the east coast and the games don't end until 1:00 Am, the up again at 6:00 for work, I have to admit the opening post is on to something.

I have been on this forum for about 9 years now. I post very little. I can't. The drivel and bile that get's thrown around here... this place is like an asylum. I come here now pretty much totally for news. A million teenagers sifting through a million tweets at a million computers will eventually post something of interest or relevance.

Of all the places I have been, Vancouver is full of some of the most ridiculously self-entitled, self-absorbed, fatuous and juvenile individuals I know. Look at this thread, you call them out and what do you get? GIFs of people crying and blaming their behavior on the team being bad. "Don't blame me! I'm not the problem! Mommy says I'm special!"

Blaming it on the team being bad!?! We were one of the best teams in the entire sport for the last, what, 3 or 4 years until recently. What was your excuse two years ago.

They get paid millions of dollars to play a game? Sure... but not in a damn bubble. One of the best skills a player can have is confidence, it runs the whole game. You take away that and what do you have? Players feel the pressure. Why do you think Montreal has trouble signing french stars? The french media in that city or hyenas. Any time I here this argument I shake my head the incredible feat of ignorance it takes to form that argument in your brain. Throwing money at the problem (but they get paid so much!) doesn't make it go away.

It's not just the fans. The sports media in Vancouver is a whole 'nother level of terrible. They are incredibly pessimistic even in the best of time. For them, when it is sunny they are too hot, when it is overcast they are too cold and during the height of spring the weather is too boring and the wish it was hotter or colder.

And then it doesn't go their way... the canucks get so close and lose in game 7. Let's push over some cop cars and light them on fire... that'll show the team!

I don't miss BC. Well, that is not true. I miss the mountains and the ocean. I'm in Toronto now (which has just as big of a problem with their fan base) and we don't have mountains, just humidity. I don't miss the people, they can all go hang. Trust fund barbies and leather skinned trophy wives juxtaposed with patchouli scented hipsters and yolo shouting, gold chain bedazzled teenagers in BMWs their helicopter parents gave them to buy their love...

The team changes, it's always called the same but the management turns over, players come and go, coaches come and go with rather more frequency yet it is always the same fans... The problem has been constant, and the only thing constant is the fans... What does that tell you?

TL;DR

J/K. Read, but you're wrong.

This team would be sitting nicely in the cup finals if Gillis took Nichushkin over Horvat. What an awful mistake.

Is that your professional opinion, based of years of hockey experience or just another shot in the dark guess that was conjured up while you watched a YouTube clip of him scoring a goal. Right off the top of your head on that one my friend.

I want people to know that it was not Luongo, or AV or Mike Gillis that caused the destruction of the Canucks. It was the fans.

Each of them are having great success since leaving the organization. AV is going to the Stanley Cup Finals again and the coach we swapped with... well he's got anger management issues and got fired for ACTUAL poor performance.

It's easier to work/play when you don't have 1000s of people sending you death threats, telling you to leave, and booing you every single day. I'm positive now that we could've won the Stanley Cup that year if the whole city didn't criticize AV and Luongo for every single thing, each and every game. Hard to concentrate when under pressure (and possible death) by 1000s of people surrounding you (outside and inside).

But you can't change the mentality of a whole city. This will continue even with the next set of people and it is why we will never win. People don't know what's good until they lose them.

I wish AV and Luongo good luck and win a cup soon. They deserve it.

always a new guy posting a comment like that. 65 posts in and you want to rip fans of all kind with out thinking your not going to bother someone.... not that it bothers me much but i am a devoted fan and i can honestly say that av actually benefited from torts and his tenure with the rangers... much like gillis enjoyed a team that was already assembled... all he had to add a couple of pieces for the cup run in 2011. av is a 4line coach that was with an aging canucks team. rangers are young and fast. torts taught them the defensive style they needed. av round things out for them. when you don't win a cup or struggle in the way that the canucks have in the playoffs you will always be under scrutiny... these guys are million dollar makers... i don't feel sorry when i criticize them. For the canucks it was always about work ethics and not playing smart... just for one example the play that the canadians rookie goalie perfectly deflecting the shot to the corner instead of what luongo always did was not direct the rebound properly and then continued to blame the defence for not being in the right spot....many many points i can cover but won't. please rembember there always other angles to look at things and stop trying make bold statements 65 posts in.... cheers

So I guess fans should apologize for:

-Letting some key players walk/not being able to reach a deal with them

-Giving players NTC's

-Poor drafting over the years (we should have picked RoR, Shaw, ect.)

-not getting enough for Schneider

-the whole luongo fiasco

On behalf of all the fans that had the final say on these decisions (or any say for that matter), I would like to sincerely apologize

We really screwed up in our management choices of this team

Edit: I was just thinking maybe we could get some LA and CHI fans to come here and help us build a better team. Since they built such good teams there.

Well I guess that's it! Some guy on an internet forum says that Canuck fans are bad and that's why the team is ultimately unsuccessful. There you have it fellow bad fans, I suppose that means the team would be better off if we all just ignored it. Lets stop going to games, watching on TV, buying merchandise, etc. etc. That'll fix everything, the Canucks can then play their home games in front of no audience and make no money and then finally they can win their first Stanley Cup. Yes, that's how it'll go....

Vancouver is a city of impatient, intolerant fans. What other fans would boo a Canadian National hockey team. What other group of Canadian fans would riot for the mere sake of rioting, using the Stanley Cup final as an excuse. What other fans would night after night call for the trade of one of the best goaltenders , that has ever played for their team, boo him regularly, then whine like babies when he was finally traded.

I also see a distinctive parallel between the mediocre success of the Vancouver hockey team and the relentless whining, badgering, criticisms, name calling and disrespect ALL TOO MANY FANS have for the professional athletes that play for their beloved hockey team. Just read the critical, maligning, disrespectful and crude comments members here on CD have posted about their hockey players.

That coupled with the media's continual disenchantment of players is a travesty. The media make up their unsubstantiated, controversial topics to stir the proverbial pot in order to satisfy advertisers and give themselves topics to flog to death for days to ensure their own insignificant little jobs. The reader and listener focus on such BS and become fooled in believing its authenticity. Rumours, innuendo, and controversy run the sporting menus of this city.

The majority of Faithful and sincere Vancouver fans sit back in silence and maintain their unfettered loyalty to their team through thick and thin. They experience the disappointment through the hard times with the team, not through a stream of selfish and immature attitude all to many fans show with their unfashionable and crude manners.

Do fans destroy this team? You damn rights they do and bad fans destroy the image of the team and our beautiful city unrelentingly. Unfortunately outsiders classify the whole of the fan base by the actions of the ignorant. Sad isn't it to have to live amongst those so foolish.

Well I guess that's it! Some guy on an internet forum says that Canuck fans are bad and that's why the team is ultimately unsuccessful. There you have it fellow bad fans, I suppose that means the team would be better off if we all just ignored it. Lets stop going to games, watching on TV, buying merchandise, etc. etc. That'll fix everything, the Canucks can then play their home games in front of no audience and make no money and then finally they can win their first Stanley Cup. Yes, that's how it'll go....

You missed the point. It is not about being constructively critical.

The fan base for the Canucks is terrible and very bi-polar but the media is even worse!

Say Luongo had a good game, people would vote him in as mayor, if he had a bad game, they wanted him to be traded.

because not all fans think alike.

This is a collection of individuals.

I have been a fan of this team through the good year and the bad since the 80's. I have since moved from Vancouver and British Columbia and set roots in multiple other cities and while I have remained a diehard Canucks fan, even though now I am on the east coast and the games don't end until 1:00 Am, the up again at 6:00 for work, I have to admit the opening post is on to something.

I have been on this forum for about 9 years now. I post very little. I can't. The drivel and bile that get's thrown around here... this place is like an asylum. I come here now pretty much totally for news. A million teenagers sifting through a million tweets at a million computers will eventually post something of interest or relevance.

Of all the places I have been, Vancouver is full of some of the most ridiculously self-entitled, self-absorbed, fatuous and juvenile individuals I know. Look at this thread, you call them out and what do you get? GIFs of people crying and blaming their behavior on the team being bad. "Don't blame me! I'm not the problem! Mommy says I'm special!"

Blaming it on the team being bad!?! We were one of the best teams in the entire sport for the last, what, 3 or 4 years until recently. What was your excuse two years ago.

They get paid millions of dollars to play a game? Sure... but not in a damn bubble. One of the best skills a player can have is confidence, it runs the whole game. You take away that and what do you have? Players feel the pressure. Why do you think Montreal has trouble signing french stars? The french media in that city or hyenas. Any time I here this argument I shake my head the incredible feat of ignorance it takes to form that argument in your brain. Throwing money at the problem (but they get paid so much!) doesn't make it go away.

It's not just the fans. The sports media in Vancouver is a whole 'nother level of terrible. They are incredibly pessimistic even in the best of time. For them, when it is sunny they are too hot, when it is overcast they are too cold and during the height of spring the weather is too boring and the wish it was hotter or colder.

And then it doesn't go their way... the canucks get so close and lose in game 7. Let's push over some cop cars and light them on fire... that'll show the team!

I don't miss BC. Well, that is not true. I miss the mountains and the ocean. I'm in Toronto now (which has just as big of a problem with their fan base) and we don't have mountains, just humidity. I don't miss the people, they can all go hang. Trust fund barbies and leather skinned trophy wives juxtaposed with patchouli scented hipsters and yolo shouting, gold chain bedazzled teenagers in BMWs their helicopter parents gave them to buy their love...

The team changes, it's always called the same but the management turns over, players come and go, coaches come and go with rather more frequency yet it is always the same fans... The problem has been constant, and the only thing constant is the fans... What does that tell you?

+1. Nailed it.

TL;DR

J/K. Read, but you're wrong.

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate my comments and critique their content. I would like to start my rebuttal with your first point where... huh, that's weird. You don't have any points. Anywhere. Your post was, dare i say, pointless?

Welcome to internet. Where "You're wrong" counts as the entirety of the debate...

The team still exists, so it's not destroyed. That being said, Mike Gillis crippled this team with his ineptitude.

However, Jim Benning and Trevor Linden will bring this team back, and make it stronger and better than ever.

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate my comments and critique their content. I would like to start my rebuttal with your first point where... huh, that's weird. You don't have any points. Anywhere. Your post was, dare i say, pointless?

Welcome to internet. Where "You're wrong" counts as the entirety of the debate...

Oh snap!

I want people to know that it was not Luongo, or AV or Mike Gillis that caused the destruction of the Canucks. It was the fans.

Each of them are having great success since leaving the organization. AV is going to the Stanley Cup Finals again and the coach we swapped with... well he's got anger management issues and got fired for ACTUAL poor performance.

Each of them? Obviously, AV is in the SCF. Luongo? Losing record this year in Florida. Gillis? I haven't looked closely, but I haven't heard he has been hired.

Every team has its share of nutbag fans, but it is not so bad as OP makes it. Anyone who thinks the collective fanbase has that much influence without showing any significant decline in ticket/merch purchases has the tinfoil on a more than a little tight.

Edit: grammatical fix.

This team would be sitting nicely in the cup finals if Gillis took Nichushkin over Horvat. What an awful mistake.

Seriously? He didn't get Dallas all that far in the playoffs. In the long run, you may be right that it was a mistake to pick Horvat (I don't agree) instead, but to say Nichushkin would have had that much impact on the Canucks last year is incredibly naive, especially in the style Torts was using.

Archived