The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks’ Benning open to upgrading in goal

Jaimito

Watch him be another Feaster and not know how league rules work, so he waives Markstrom just to get a veteran goalie the Canucks don't even need ahahaha. And then the return is Matthias for Luongo. Ouch!

I'm not ready to call this an improvement, but at least there was no direct mention of Russians in your post. that might be a first for you.

With a better more consistant team in front if him, Lack will be fine. I'd rather spend the money on offense.

This. His positional play is sound. Balance his duties (properly) with Markstrom for the year and upgrade the woeful offense. Re-evaluate after next season when Markstrom's contract is up and Lack has 1 yr left.

i remember many people barking the same thing about Schnieder

Lack is ready but needs a veteran backup to ease the stress and pressure and help him transition to the role

He has the technical capability (actually better) of Schneider and the size of Lou. If you knew anything about goaltending you'd get that he actually has the potential to be better than both of those goalies.

However, being a goalie in the NHL, and especially in Vancouver is probably one of the most pressure filled roles in pro sports, as such having a calming veteran presence behind you is helpful.

He is ready to start, he is simply not ready to be a 65-70 game starter, 50-55 is more reasonable.

Agreed. A good veteran back-up for a young goalie...is the equivalent of having a wise & experienced caddy along as you golf. He knows the lay of the land. He can advise you of tendancies, or likely shot selections taken out there or offer-up some experienced advise & calm ...in those pressure-packed situations.

And - if its' a night when the starter gets pulled,...the option on the bench, will have the confidence of the team to mount a come-back. Extra knowledge about any arena ...or the tendancies of opponents.....would give one a clear edge, in this game of inches.

People make it sound as if Lack and Markstrom are 19 year olds. Their not. Lack is 26 and Markstrom 24 I believe. They are ready for the nhl. Maybe concentrate on putting together a solid d core and some quality top 6 forwards. Coughing up 4.5 mill plus for Hiller or Miller will only handcuff this team further...

I have full faith in Eddie and Markstrom as a tandem next season. The Canucks got much bigger issues to solve than goaltending. God knows for how long we've been seeking a top 6 forward. Markstrom will be a big surprise. He has all the tools to be an all-star, but just needs to piece them together.

i remember many people barking the same thing about Schnieder

Lack is ready but needs a veteran backup to ease the stress and pressure and help him transition to the role

He has the technical capability (actually better) of Schneider and the size of Lou. If you knew anything about goaltending you'd get that he actually has the potential to be better than both of those goalies.

However, being a goalie in the NHL, and especially in Vancouver is probably one of the most pressure filled roles in pro sports, as such having a calming veteran presence behind you is helpful.

He is ready to start, he is simply not ready to be a 65-70 game starter, 50-55 is more reasonable.

It might well prove the best option to start the year with Lack supported by a veteran NHL goalie (UFA).

The Canucks could assign Markstrom to Utica before the waiver period opens (IIRC it takes effect 12 days before the opening of the regular season). Start the season conservatively, with Lack getting around 2/3 of the games. If he struggles, the Canucks have the safety net of a veteran guy who can step in and stabilize the net. If Lack plays great, then they can try increasing his workload. And if Markstrom is playing lights out in Utica, he can get recalled at any time (and then just trade/waive/demote the veteran guy).

We could still finish the year with a Lack/Markstrom tandem. It would just eliminate the risk of starting a season with an inexperienced (and still fairly unproven) tandem in net.

That all said, I really don't have an issue with opening the 2014-15 season with Lack/Markstrom sharing the net. I'd be quite excited to see what they could accomplish together--and I have very high hopes for both of them. But if this team is dead set on pushing for the playoffs next season, they might decide that they need to "upgrade" their goaltending.

If that's the case, I just hope they don't decide to clear a spot by dumping Markstrom for a minimal return (or as an "add on" to a trade package). I'd like to see Benning hold on to Gillis' acquisition, and just keep him in the AHL all season if need be. Allow him to hone his craft for another year under the tutelage of the Canucks' goaltending braintrust and he should be well ready for "prime time" in 2015-16.

We are a rebuilding team....why would we be worried about net presence when we have 2 great young goalies with potential??

If it was upgrading that back up position to let off some of the pressure from Lack then sure. Markstrom could start the year in Utica and see where that goes.

People refuse to see the forest from the trees really.

We are in fact a rebuilding team, whether it takes two or three seasons. The writing is on the wall. I don't think we see much better this season from last season

Every GM open to upgrading at every position.

Is there anything that Benning has said that suggests he's actually looking to upgrade in goal? All I've heard is that he thought Lack had a good first season and hopes he can take another step next year.

Trying to sell Ryan Miller as an option? Yeah, no thanks - the franchise just managed to move an 'important' aging goaltender whose contract commands too much.

Miller is a great option for the Canucks, he will be here imo. He is a better goalie than anybody out there. Benning said the will try to make the playoffs and in a transition year Miller is the guy that can steal you game. Perfect guy for Lack to share duties with, also Benning drafted him. Guy is a stud when he faces 40 plus shots and he will get worked big time if he plays for the Nucks.

I for one dont see any point in picking up one of these 'brand name' goaltenders. What exactly would that accomplish? A better shot at scraping into the playoffs?

Lack is going to be a really good player and I think he proved that this past season. His numbers were quite good considering he's a first year player,Torts ran him into the ground, and he had a full team of underachievers in front of him. I think we should roll with him and Markstrom and put the money we'd use on another goalie toward buying some goals. If that all goes sideways then we pick high in a deep draft.

theres bigger needs than in goal. Lack is doing a fine job

Hopefully Benning reads this thread and sees your post. Without our (your) insights, he will undoubtedly flounder helplessly at his new job.

/ seething, bile filled sarcasm.

It might well prove the best option to start the year with Lack supported by a veteran NHL goalie (UFA).

The Canucks could assign Markstrom to Utica before the waiver period opens (IIRC it takes effect 12 days before the opening of the regular season). Start the season conservatively, with Lack getting around 2/3 of the games. If he struggles, the Canucks have the safety net of a veteran guy who can step in and stabilize the net. If Lack plays great, then they can try increasing his workload. And if Markstrom is playing lights out in Utica, he can get recalled at any time (and then just trade/waive/demote the veteran guy).

We could still finish the year with a Lack/Markstrom tandem. It would just eliminate the risk of starting a season with an inexperienced (and still fairly unproven) tandem in net.

That all said, I really don't have an issue with opening the 2014-15 season with Lack/Markstrom sharing the net. I'd be quite excited to see what they could accomplish together--and I have very high hopes for both of them. But if this team is dead set on pushing for the playoffs next season, they might decide that they need to "upgrade" their goaltending.

If that's the case, I just hope they don't decide to clear a spot by dumping Markstrom for a minimal return (or as an "add on" to a trade package). I'd like to see Benning hold on to Gillis' acquisition, and just keep him in the AHL all season if need be. Allow him to hone his craft for another year under the tutelage of the Canucks' goaltending braintrust and he should be well ready for "prime time" in 2015-16.

thanks for clarifying.

i am not sold on markstrom yet and would prefer a veteran backup like gustavsson or montoya.

If Kesler is moved for a couple of 1st rounders and a backup goalie, we might consider packaging Markstrom and a veteran 3rd or 4th liner to get the players that Linden spoke of for the 3rd and 4th upgrade. This is a retool year and Linden and Benning have some major personel decisions to make in order to transition the Canucks towards the team that they envision.

I don't see us paying big bucks for Miller or Thomas during this transition time....after all that is why we moved Luongo and his contract...because the team in place couldn't get it done.

We might have to go through another year of missing the playoffs if the players that are needed cannot be secured quickly or if the rookies aren't ready to make the jump. That is the big question mark so throwing dollars at a bigtime goalie during this time is not wise.

However the chips may fall, I am sure that Linden and Benning have a very good idea how they are going to proceed....we are in good hands so I will just look forward to the draft on June 27th.

Lack is not going to play 70 games and still be a good goalie.

Sign Hiller or Miller cheap (3-4M) to split games with Lack. Even if Eddie's our starter, he shouldn't be playing more than 50 games next year. We've got cap space for once in a long time, and if we can dump a Booth or a Burrows (heaven forbid) to make way for some of our younger players who are a lot cheaper, we could sign a top-6 forward and become a playoff team overnight.

For example: Buyout Booth (although he's been playing better and could use a new coach, I prefer our chances with youth moving up), sign Vbrata to a 3.5M deal, Hiller to a 3.5 M deal, Tanev for 3M, Kassian for 2M and tie up some of our loose end UFAs cheaply.

Sedin (18 mins) - Sedin (18 mins) - Jensen (15 mins)

Vbrata (16 mins) - Kesler (19 mins) - Kassian (15 mins)

Hansen (15 mins) - Santorelli (15 mins) - Higgins (16 mins)

Burrows (14 mins) - Richardson (10 mins) - Matthias (10 mins)

Edler (22 mins) - Tanev (22 mins)

Hamhuis (21 mins) - Bieksa (21 mins)

Garrison (20 mins) - Stanton (17 mins)

Corrado

Weber

Alberts

Lack (40 games)

Hiller (40 games)

PP 1:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Garrison - Edler

PP 2: