The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks’ Benning open to upgrading in goal

Jaimito

the team sucked with loungo in the net and with lack in the net sure sign a vetran back up for cheap , we need scoring and d-man that can run a power play, if we don't I can see us with a real good draft pick next year and a fire sale at the deadline

What about Ray Emery? Isn't he going to be a UFA, he could play 30 something games

This could work, IMO the best option is a veteran backup to help take the pressure off Lack. To Lack's credit though, he performed admirably when thrust into the starting role, considering the puck was in our own end most of the time. Cap space shouldn't be wasted on a starter at this point.

After Montreal just had Tokarski play the last 5 games it's looking like Budaj will be available. He would be a perfect backup goalie that would have a reasonable contract at 1.4m and that could play 25 games a year and keep some of the pressure off Eddy. Probably can be gotten for pretty cheap considering montreal also has dubnyk in there system now too.

We are a rebuilding team....why would we be worried about net presence when we have 2 great young goalies with potential??

If it was upgrading that back up position to let off some of the pressure from Lack then sure. Markstrom could start the year in Utica and see where that goes.

I'm with you on this one...we're not going to be in serious SC contention next year...I'd say let Lack and Markstrom start the year...There's always veteran goalies available.

Edie Lack had a .912 SV% with 4 shutouts last season. This was a season where suggesting that Van was a defensive juggernaut was a joke, especially in the last third of the season. In many of those games Lack was left out to dry. He lost at least 4 other SO opportunities when his defense crumbled.

If Lack had 8 SO's last year would the same conversation be had about needing an 'experienced' vet backup or that Lack is not really a starting tender? Both Schneider and Luongo left Van talking very highly about Rollie Melanson's impact on their game. Van will not be a CUP contender next year so keep Lack as #1 and Markstrom as backup. Deal later in the season if circumstances change.

The most I would do personally would be about $2m-$2.5m on a decent vet netminder to take some of the pressure off Lack. Lack would still play ~50games IMO.

But frankly I think that money's better spent elsewhere. Plus then there's the question of what to do with Markstrom as he'd certainly be plucked off waivers.

Markstrom is no NHL goalie, he is an excellent minor league goalie, so nothing to lose there. And Lack is fine but a very average NHL goalie who may with some years of experience become over average. So, the Canucks goaltending situation is not a strength and of course he should consider an upgrade. Let's put it this way, Lack is not about to enter the conversation on the Vezina trophy. Unlike Price, Quick, Lundquist and Crawford- the four semi-finalists.

Edie Lack had a .912 SV% with 4 shutouts last season. This was a season where suggesting that Van was a defensive juggernaut was a joke, especially in the last third of the season. In many of those games Lack was left out to dry. He lost at least 4 other SO opportunities when his defense crumbled.

If Lack had 8 SO's last year would the same conversation be had about needing an 'experienced' vet backup or that Lack is not really a starting tender? Both Schneider and Luongo left Van talking very highly about Rollie Melanson's impact on their game. Van will not be a CUP contender next year so keep Lack as #1 and Markstrom as backup. Deal later in the season if circumstances change.

I change my arguement this guy makes the most sense i say now keep lack and markstrom as our 1-2 punch

He did do a good job with a terrible coaching system (the teams coach i mean - obvious as u say melonson did a great job

Archived