The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder

William_Clarkson

So why trade him? He hasn't had much of a shot here and we're talking about moving one of our centers, while having to re-sign another?

Yet everyone seems to think that dumping a former first round pick for nothing is a smart hockey move? I'm having a hard time figuring this one out.

So why trade him? He hasn't had much of a shot here and we're talking about moving one of our centers, while having to re-sign another?

Yet everyone seems to think that dumping a former first round pick for nothing is a smart hockey move? I'm having a hard time figuring this one out.

Benning and Linden have stated, as a long-term vision, that they want a big, fast team. Schneider has good wheels, but he's not explosive, and he certainly fails (no fault of his own) on the first component.

Even in the short term, people have a habit of locking in opening day rosters in June. Who's to say that the new management team haven't already decided to target a short- to mid-term centre in FA? Signing Santo, and getting an experienced C, while also having Matthias and Richardson on tap isn't the worst combo for next year.

And farther down the road? Horvat, Gaunce, and a possible C at #6 in a week could easily mean Schroeder gets buried even further in the pecking order.

It'd be nice to keep everyone, but an opportunity for Schroeder means less space for others who I think are better longer-term, and probably shorter term, as well.

Benning and Linden have stated, as a long-term vision, that they want a big, fast team. Schneider has good wheels, but he's not explosive, and he certainly fails (no fault of his own) on the first component.

Even in the short term, people have a habit of locking in opening day rosters in June. Who's to say that the new management team haven't already decided to target a short- to mid-term centre in FA? Signing Santo, and getting an experienced C, while also having Matthias and Richardson on tap isn't the worst combo for next year.

And farther down the road? Horvat, Gaunce, and a possible C at #6 in a week could easily mean Schroeder gets buried even further in the pecking order.

It'd be nice to keep everyone, but an opportunity for Schroeder means less space for others who I think are better longer-term, and probably shorter term, as well.

Meanwhile, we have people talking about Anaheim's late first round pick in a Kesler deal as if it's a huge benefit. But hey lets dump exactly that for absolutely nothing....

I have nothing against moving JS if he doesn't fit the future plans. I have a lot against moving him when his value is at an all-time low, especially when we haven't given him any sort of opportunity to prove his real worth.

This is exactly the CDC buy high, sell low mentality that I seem to be constantly at odds with. Quite frankly, it baffles me that so few others are.

Maybe read the thread if you want the answer to that question, folks have made some pretty compelling and reasonable arguments.

- He is simply not good enough to be a top 6 NHLer

- He does not fit the mold that Benning/Linden are going for

- He takes up a contract space that could be used for another prospect

- He takes up minutes on the farm that could go to another prospect who is a better organizational fit

- We will almost certainly be getting several pieces back from a Kesler trade, so need to shed contracts

- etc

Maybe read the thread if you want the answer to that question, folks have made some pretty compelling and reasonable arguments.

- He takes up minutes on the farm that could go to another prospect who is a better organizational fit

- We will almost certainly be getting several pieces back from a Kesler trade, so need to shed contracts

- etc

Nobody is arguing those points..but at least qualify him,see what he can do at training camp under a new coach/system etc....Trading him before that would just be poor asset management ..IMO.

At least build some value for him..

- etc

And I've made "compelling and reasonable" arguments to the contrary. You'd know that if you'd followed your own advice and "read the thread". In answer to your "compelling" points:

1 - You don't know that. You are assuming, based on an extremely limited sample size.

2 - You don't know this either. Just because they stated they want to get bigger, doesn't mean they want to jettison every smaller player they have. They also mentioned wanting speed, which Schroeder has. By your logic, they shouldn't bother to try and re-sign Santorelli

3 - What other prospect? Are we really so tight in the amount of contracts we're carrying that we can't accommodate a former first round pick, who hasn't even been given a chance to show what he can do?

4 - Seriously? Now he's clogging up the system in Utica as well? Do we have other former first round picks clamoring for ice time on the farm?

5 - Maybe you can provide a breakdown of how many contracts we "most certainly" will be acquiring that will not allow us to keep Schroeder's. It seems extremely far-fetched to me. You do have specifics, right? How else could you use the words "most certainly"....

@ Honky Cat: I am arguing those points. But the rest of your post echoes my sentiments and is what I have been saying all along. I'm fine with moving JS, if he truly doesn't fit, (something that I'm not convinced of, BTW) however, it's insane IMO, to give up on a first round pick and trade him for nothing, when you haven't even given him a chance to show what he can do. It absolutely baffles me how many people on this board are okay with doing just that.

If management is indeed ready to do so, I'd have to reassess my opinion on their hiring.

• 2 weeks later...

just another offensively skilled player whose confidence and creativity were killed by being forced into the mold of a "two-way player" before getting even a sniff at the nhl level.

i believe the canucks development philosophy is the biggest reason why their draft picks fail and they have no offense. they should let their offensive prospects get a foothold at the nhl level by playing to their skill set, allowing them to build their confidence and believe they're actually nhl players BEFORE asking them to change their game and adding in the responsibility of solid defensive awareness.

That was all AV.

Did it to Hodgson, Shirokov and Grabner as well.

1 turnover and they were forever in the bad-books with him. While Raymond is skating around like a fairy turning pucks over left and right while being promoted to top 6.

That was all AV.

1 turnover and they were forever in the bad-books with him. While Raymond is skating around like a fairy turning pucks over left and right while being promoted to top 6.

Time to look ahead not backwards.

The culture of the team is in transition by a capable team of Linden and Benning. The Canucks are getting bigger, badder and will still be a skilled team which is a necessary thing if we want to ever see a Cup in Vancouver.

Embrace it or whine about the past....your choice...choose wisely.

S. is a perfect example of why you don't ignore probability statistics. It's certainly true that some players prove the rule wrong (e.g. D. Savard) but to draft them in the first round is simply a bad mistake. Once again we see Gillis using his intuitive powers to ignore probablity. He thought he was much smarter than anyone in the league... and now we see the pathetic result. (Hope you enjoyed the finals Mike.)

That was all AV.

AV is a moron and I'm happy that he didn't get the Cup this year. He's not deserving.

Archived