The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offical] Kesler traded to Anaheim

TheRussianRocket.

A lot of people, not everyone, are defending this trade saying JB did what he could.

I find it funny.

Luongo handcuffs the team saying he wants a trade and limits it to Florida/a couple teams, not to mention his ridiculous contract. MG trades Luongo for Markstrom - the top rated rookie goalie in the league - "He's been considered one of the best goaltending prospects in the world for a couple of seasons..." and Shawn Matthias a solid, young 2-way guy with potential as a future 2C.

JB trades Kesler, who demands a trade to 2 teams, gets Bonino who has potential as 2C but also has question marks and Sbisa - a 4-5 defenseman.

MG gets crucified but JB gets off fine. I don't really see the difference between the trades. You can argue he messed up with the Lou contract but trade wise it looks very similar to me.

I'd prefer the canucks traded for someone who can legitimately help the team (in the future), rather than multiple pieces that may pan out. The only clear upside is the cap room.

Reminiscent of the luongo trade. Sure we moved player(s) that didnt want to be here, but the team isn't better for it.

Nothing to be exited about, tank season incoming...

I don't see the point in spending on Hiller to be competitive when that second line pretty much assures we don't make the playoffs.

There are better things to spend money on than an overpriced third liner and a goalie that's gonna share the net.

My money would be on going after Dan Boyle and a top 6 winger.

Yea especially since Hiller has vertigo and is unreliable.

We were never going to get that Anaheim #10...Bryan Murray was desperately trying to get it for Spezza...No dice,I don't think the #10 was ever in play.

At the draft one of the announcers said the breaking point in the trade was finally getting the 24th added in. We never had a shot at the 10. I feel like we did pretty good with our 24th though

we now have plenty of top 6 forward prospects in Horvat, Virtanen, Shinkaruk, McCann, Jansen, Cassels, Fox, etc. but we still lack top 2 defensive prospects.

It looks like this year is about stockpiling the offense. Hope we draft a solid d prospect next year.

I'd rather draft forwards and trade for d-men that have grown a bit and shown what their potential is. Very few defencemen are ready enough to be correctly evaluated at the age they are being drafted. Forwards are much 'easier' to get it right at the age of 16, 17 & 18.

“Being a player, you want to be in a hockey market with a hockey atmosphere like it is in Vancouver,” said Bonino. “I’m very excited about it. We saw them (Canucks) a lot during the regular season and they were a gritty team and tough to play against. I know it’s a team with skill that didn’t have its best year. Seeing what they’re trying to do — maybe go a little youthful and turn it around — and to join that and know we’re in a tough division it’s pretty exciting.”

I don't think he will, just saying none of this makes sense unless JB gets a top 6 center and winger. Because the way I see it...the line-up as it is, is much worse than last years. Which is an odd strategy for a Team claiming to be a contender for playoffs.

Are we better yet? No! We have created space in the line up. Both on the roster and in cap...

I suppose we could be better if we used all the acquired cap space effectively. We could sign Stastny and Niskanen???

Odd's are we'll only spend in bits and pieces as the right chance comes up?

I do think we'll be a play off team? And we'll definitely be in a better place as Horvat, and Jensen and Shinkaruk start to come around. Or Kassian! The same could be said of Virtanen, although I would have picked Nylander. The future was still made better today.

Just not the hear and now. Yet...

And as Horvat, and Jensen, and Shinkaruk grow... And as we find a PMD...

Then we'll be hot again!

A lot of people, not everyone, are defending this trade saying JB did what he could.

I find it funny.

Luongo handcuffs the team saying he wants a trade and limits it to Florida/a couple teams, not to mention his ridiculous contract. MG trades Luongo for Markstrom - the top rated rookie goalie in the league - "He's been considered one of the best goaltending prospects in the world for a couple of seasons..." and Shawn Matthias a solid, young 2-way guy with potential as a future 2C.

JB trades Kesler, who demands a trade to 2 teams, gets Bonino who has potential as 2C but also has question marks and Sbisa - a 4-5 defenseman.

MG gets crucified but JB gets off fine. I don't really see the difference between the trades. You can argue he messed up with the Lou contract but trade wise it looks very similar to me.

Not really because it took Gillis a hell of a lot longer to actually trade Luongo and dragging it out was a huge distraction to the team.

And Markstrom WAS the top goalie prospect for awhile but injuries and inconsistent/terrible play at both the AHL/NHL level had dropped his stock significantly around the league. Plus he is now waiver eligible which means they have to keep him at the NHL level no matter what, trade him (for likely less than they would want), or waive him and lose him for nothing if he cannot show big improvement at the NHL level. He is a bigger question mark than you are willing to admit here.

Also, the Canucks did not retain salary on the Kesler deal unlike the Luongo one.

And you are not factoring in the two picks. One used for Derek Dorsett and the other to draft McCann, who was projected to go mid teens and dropped into Bennings lap.

There is really not much similarity at all between the two scenarios other than the players wanted to be traded and limited where they would go.

To Anaheim:

Ryan Kesler

VAN 2015 3rd Round Pick

To Vancouver:

Nick Bonino

Luca Sbisa

Derek Dorsett (via ANA 3rd round pick flipped to NYR)

Jared McCann

Looking at it this way it was a pretty good re-tool for the Canucks. Plus like Benning said Kesler handcuffed him by not expanding his list of teams and he did not want anyone here who does not want to be here. On the flip side the Ducks got the guy they wanted and need to compete against the heavy hitters in the West. Kesler will be a great second line center for them. And they did not have to give up any of their highly touted prospects.

This is the definition of a hockey trade that benefits both teams.

If WD can get the most out of Sbisa this will be a great trade for the Canucks.

It's funny, because the description of Sbisa by the Ducks fan sounds an awful lot like a certain Swede that the Canucks currently have on their defence...

I find it funny.

Markstrom WAS the top goalie prospect in the world. He's been passed by guys, including Lack.

He's been faltering, having technical difficulties and has to be sheltered on the roster because he's too old to clear waivers. In a reversal of situations we only got Ballard :blink: back for Grabner when we were faced with this. They got Lou. We may not get to keep Markstrom? Rumors are surfacing we may decide to go to with a battle ready tandem next year?

Mathias is virtually a rental; UFA at the end of this year. So we could lose him too?

We did not get a first to come along with...

In reality, neither deal was great. Our biggest benefit is cap space.

And less headaches.

You guys amaze me.

You keep saying this deal is a lost.

Taking aside the intangibles, which clearly itself proves to be a huge upside in this deal, the deal itself even on paper is fair value.

- 24th overall which is 1 position lower than what Kesler was drafted for.

- Bonino who is a poor man ROR that can anchor our 2nd line, and is a better playmaker than Kesler. We finally have a 2nd line center who can utilize his lines mate and make them better.

- Sbisa who has at the very least equal trade value as Chris Tanev. So many of you feel Tanev + our 6th is enough to get ourselves the 1st overall from Florida, yet acquiring Sbisa on top of Bonino AND a 24th overall is somehow a liability in this trade?

Please step outside of the CDC realm and assess the players for what 29 other teams in the NHL value them.

I don't know about that.

It's funny, because the description of Sbisa by the Ducks fan sounds an awful lot like a certain Swede that the Canucks currently have on their defence...

Much like Edler, Sbisa needs to gain his confidence back and rediscover what he does well. He needs to be put in positions where he can succeed as well, the same as Edler.

The only real concern is another left handed, and I believe predominantly left side, D. I would still like a puck moving partner for Edler that can play to his strengths but that means one of Bieksa or Tanev has to drop down to the 3rd pairing with Sbisa or get traded. It will be interesting to see how the pairings shake out.

I find it funny.

this

I'm glad Benning didn't let the Kesler situation fester like the circus surrounding you-know-who. If this deal was the best he could make at the time, involving one team (Chi didn't have the cap space) -- and he stressed he wanted to complete it before the draft to get picks now -- then I'm fine with it. Free up cap, get younger, make a good choice at 24, and MOVE ON.

The real wild card in the deal, for me, is Sbisa. I always liked him whenever we played Anaheim. Big body with a mean streak. Inconsistent, yeah, but he can also make an outlet pass. I'm hoping Desjardins and co can work with him to improve into the top 4 ceiling D others thought he could reach.

Sad to see Kes go but if he isn't committed to playing here, that speaks volumes. No half hearters, we want guys who are all in.

Seems the Canucks wanted the Ducks' 10th too, which would have been more reasonable (I think).

Aw well, not much to do with a guy who wants to be traded except do so. Hope he fails miserably in Anaheim. And I hope he goes bald like Getzlaf.

If he keeps rubbing his head the wrong way? :rolleyes:

Right now the lines are looking (what I think):

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Higgins - Bonino - Kassian

Burrows - Matthias - Hansen

Sesito - Richardson - Dorsett

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Stanton - Tanev

Edler - Sbisa

Lack

Markstrom

Then with Bolland and Hiller, rumours rumours rumours....:

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Higgins - Bonino - Kassian

Burrows - Bolland - Hansen

Sesito - Richardson/ Matthias - Dorsett

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Stanton - Tanev

Edler - Sbisa

Hiller

Lack

We just bought out Booth because he was being paid as a top 6 forward but wasn't going to be playing as one now you have Burrows who is being paid more than what Booth was and he is playing on the 3rd line? I don't think so.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows (Burrows has to rediscover his magic with the Sedins or this team is in trouble)

UFA/Trade Or Jensen - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Matthias - Hansen

Sesito - Richardson - Dorsett

Hamhuis - Tanev

Edler - Bieksa

Stanton - Sbisa

UFA/Trade - I'd want Boyle

UFA/Miller

Lack

I think we can get a wild card playoff spot with that roster

I like that Benning said it out loud; "we don't want somebody that doesn't want to be here"

Even if we were trying to move Roberto Luongo for a long time, that obviously wasn't the mindset of the previous men in charge. That became very clear when we traded Cory Schneider last year at the draft. If that were the mentality of GMMG back then, things could have been very different from there on out (obviously).

What I'm saying is that this is a good way of doing stuff. And it's probably a bit easier for a new GM when he doesn't have the kinda attachment to players, i.e. moving hometown boy Garrison, who obviously wanted to be here. Here in disneyland as Strombone1 nicely put in on twitter.

Posters make up lineups before the draft, and now that the first round is over, they make up next year's lineup before the start of UFA on Tuesday.

Can we all wait for a month or two before plastering, in cement, the top 12 and top 6? Especially since Benning now has 15 or 20 mil to spend? And not even considering any possible further trades?

What most impressed me about yesterday's flurry of activity is that Benning had a plan, and acted accordingly. Younger and tougher, with speed.

I like that Benning said it out loud; "we don't want somebody that doesn't want to be here"

Even if we were trying to move Roberto Luongo for a long time, that obviously wasn't the mindset of the previous men in charge. That became very clear when we traded Cory Schneider last year at the draft. If that were the mentality of GMMG back then, things could have been very different from there on out (obviously).

What I'm saying is that this is a good way of doing stuff. And it's probably a bit easier for a new GM when he doesn't have the kinda attachment to players, i.e. moving hometown boy Garrison, who obviously wanted to be here. Here in disneyland as Strombone1 nicely put in on twitter.

You can't blame MG for Cory out playing Luo and he decided to make Cory the number 1 goalie. And when it came to trading Lu with the new CBA coming up it just happened to make Lu untradeable and ownership refused to buyout Luo so the only thing MG could have done was waive Luo.

People are praising JB but look back when MG first became GM he and and JB have done very similar things. It's just where MG fell down was with these NTC's he bound his hands and feet with them by handing them out to pretty much every player.

Archived