The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offical] Kesler traded to Anaheim

TheRussianRocket.

I just dont see it. Whatever promising prospect pool they have it still does not change the fact they are a bottom feeder team and will continue to be. Kesler will not lift them out of the cellar anytime soon. They need so much more to even become middle of the pack.

Bottom feeders don't make the playoffs. With Ryan Johansen and Boone Jenner emerging, along with a stable d core and outstanding goaltending, they are not a bottom feeder. They almost beat the penguins this year btw. Kesler would make them a legitimate contender.

You don't seem to be that familiar with the Jordan Staal deal, or the Mike Richards deal - third and second line centers who commanded very sizeable returns. If you take into account contracts of players like Richards and Carter, as well as their performance heading into those deals, there is absolutely no reason to think Kesler wouldn't command at least as much as any of those deals. The GMs cutting them weren't exactly suckers either. Rich Nash, who hasn't topped 60 points since 2007/8, who isn't exactly a Selke candidate, and whose 7.8 million cap hit until 2018 landed Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon and a 1st.

As far as I'm concerned, there are a whole lot of folks around here who think they're being 'realistic' but have very little concept of the actual comparables.

Mike Richards - 5.8 million until 2020 - has averaged 49 points over the past five years and no Selkes to mix in. Dealt for Simmonds, Schenn and a 2nd.

Carter - 5.3 million until 2022 - 50 points this year, 50-66 range over the past five years, not exactly a two way Selke type. Dealt for Voracek, a 1st (Couturier) and a 3rd - and then dealt again to L.A. for Jack Johnson and a 1st.

Jordan Staal - 6 million until 2023 - has never scored more than 50 points in the NHL and has no Selke to match Kesler's. Dealt for the 8th overall (Pouliot), Sutter and DuMoulin. The audacity to offer any less for Kesler should be apparent. How did Shero's lowballs pan out?

Reality imo is that Ryan Kesler is being undersold around here. Thankfully, Trevor Linden and Jim Benning have a far better concept of market value than fans on these boards.

Well said. +1

Bottom feeders don't make the playoffs. With Ryan Johansen and Boone Jenner emerging, along with a stable d core and outstanding goaltending, they are not a bottom feeder. They almost beat the penguins this year btw. Kesler would make them a legitimate contender.

LOL so because they scrape in to the playoffs for the firstt time ever Kesler now makes them a legitimate contender ? Cmon man look at the standings. Look at their division and then tell me with a straight face that trading for Kelser makes them a legitimate STANLEY CUP CONTENDER.

OTT had an off year. WSH could have been way better. Pitt in the first round is always a crap shoot. This is just laughable sorry but no offense intended. CBJ is a long way off from contending for the cup.

LOL so because they scrape in to the playoffs for the firstt time ever Kesler now makes them a legitimate contender ? Cmon man look at the standings. Look at their division and then tell me with a straight face that trading for Kelser makes them a legitimate STANLEY CUP CONTENDER.

OTT had an off year. WSH could have been way better. Pitt in the first round is always a crap shoot. This is just laughable sorry but no offense intended. CBJ is a long way off from contending for the cup.

I disagree. I think they are closer than you think. They certainly not favorites , but they are getting closer. They are definitely a solid playoff team with Kesler on it.

I disagree. I think they are closer than you think. They certainly not favorites , but they are getting closer. They are definitely a solid playoff team with Kesler on it.

I will admit calling them bottom feeders is harsh. I take that back, but they have just broken through into the middle of the pack and yes look promising. Adding Kesler would indeed be huge, but they would also be giving up huge to get him. It would balance out and they would be no better off. I feel that is a no win situation both ways.

If I were Kesler and wanted to start a new chapter I would waive for DET, PITT,BOS or even CHI<<<i did not just type that ? They have plenty to offer in terms of elite teammates which is what i think Kesler wants. The Sedins are coasting out of being elite and can we say there are any other elite wingers, players on the Canucks. Realistically.

Maybe we should just blow it all up and do it right. I am not 100% opposed to that idea. It just feels like there may be one more kick at he can with some of this core group. Torts came in and exposed all our weaknesses quite quickly and that is actually a blessing. The lack of scoring on the PP needs to be addressed and the D needs some re tooling for sure.

Personally i would like to see some elite line mates make it here to play with Kes. Sooner or later everyone needs to start thinking about life without the twins :shock:

Mantha and Nyquist are almost untouchables. For Kesler, yeah right. We gotta give up pieces on our end to make that deal. Kesler is so overrated on this board. The miles on this guys body is scary. Every team sees that same thing. Heck, everyone's else's fans themselves see that Kesler's injuries are scary.

If Kesler is 'so overrated', then why do so many teams covet him?

When was the last time Ottawa was relevant. Spezza is on the move and that team is going no where. The Caps are always up and down. Never trust them...

As for Columbus just wait and watch. With 22 mill in cap space they can make some serious upgrades. Kesler would definitely add put make them a legitimate team. You have severely underrated the Jackets.

Of course I'm sure he'd rather play in Pittsburgh or Anaheim or even Detroit.

When was the last time Ottawa was relevant. Spezza is on the move and that team is going no where. The Caps are always up and down. Never trust them...

As for Columbus just wait and watch. With 22 mill in cap space they can make some serious upgrades. Kesler would definitely add put make them a legitimate team. You have severely underrated the Jackets.

Of course I'm sure he'd rather play in Pittsburgh or Anaheim or even Detroit.

I will admit I was harsh, but as i cruise through their line up i do not see too many game changers. They like us need a ton of scoring. I feel they would have to give up to much to land him and thus be short in other areas.

I will admit I was harsh, but as i cruise through their line up i do not see too many game changers. They like us need a ton of scoring. I feel they would have to give up to much to land him and thus be short in other areas.

Didn't they have like 3 1sts last draft? Wennberg and Rychel look nice.

Johansen and Jenner really came on this year. Murray is stepping it up. If Horton was healthy i think they would of beat the Pens. They're a big physical team.

Your right on your last point. We would be taking valuable pieces off their team which would hurt them...

So my question to all the trade Kesler crowd is why get rid of one of the few game changers we have on this team ?

He may not want to remain on this team because he may believe this team is not going to be contending for a while.

So the rumors say.

He may not want to remain on this team because he may believe this team is not going to be contending for a while.

So the rumors say.

Very valid point. If that is the case and he wants to start fresh then I can realistically see him going to CBJ if they pony up.

I've never fully understood, but can teams out of the playoffs make trades with each other? If so could we trade Kesler within the next couple of weeks instead of waiting for the draft?

Yes

So my question to all the trade Kesler crowd is why get rid of one of the few game changers we have on this team ?

Because, he wants to win, the return we get like when we traded Linden will hopefully help set us up for the future. Also so he can win a cup.

Johansen and Jenner really came on this year. Murray is stepping it up. If Horton was healthy i think they would of beat the Pens. They're a big physical team.

Your right on your last point. We would be taking valuable pieces off their team which would hurt them...

No doubt Keslers leadership and toughness would compliment the team but there are so many other factors against them. They will need to finish much higher to get a better PO seed, do you really see them doing better than the likes of BOS, PITT, NYR, PHI, DET ,TBY. I think they are between a rock and a hard place and will be stuck there for years to come unfortunately.

I can give you a ton of reasons. 1. He supposedly wants out. All signs point to it, or he at least did and is now on the fence about it.

2. We need to get younger. Our core might bounce back but they arent going to go for a deep playoff run without serious upgrades, and there arent many or any Shae Webbers on the market.

3. Hes our best chip to make a deal. Star player on team USA. Comes to play in the playoffs.Good cap hit.

4. I could see a team over paying to get him. He would give the Ducks a legit shot at another cup run and they could do it without crippling their roster. If it was 2011, and we could have gotten a player of Keslers caliber to add to the roster, by giving up Hodgson and a couple of high draft picks would you have done it or stand pat?

Archived