The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No pull-ups for top ranked prospect Bennett at combine

Well, I think pull-ups target most of the upper body, but mainly that side-back muscle. Do hockey players not use those muscles??

Well think of it this way, the pull-up utilizes mainly your latissimus dorsi and biceps (along with some additional supporting muscles). Those muscles are used to pull things towards you. How often in a hockey game are players pulling things? They're usually using their 'push' muscles. (triceps, chest, etc)

What did the other players do? Really though unless I am more impressive than I knew I don't think 10 pull ups is anything special. Although unlike the other poster I was 150 pounds at 18 and could manage 20 pull ups which was 2nd best in my class.

I can only assume he was tired because this doesn't seem hard at all

When I was 18 I was 180lbs and able to do 25-30 pullups. Well I was/still am an exercise fanatic at the time and did training a lot to stay in shape but nonetheless, you have to assume Bennett does that too considering where he is and what lies ahead for him. Just really bizarre and extremely off he couldn't even crack one : p

Well, I think pull-ups target most of the upper body, but mainly that side-back muscle. Do hockey players not use those muscles??

What likely happened is he only worked out one type of his arm muscles and never the muscles that actually do any pulling so when he tries to pull up he wouldn't be able to because his other muscles are too big and get in the way and prevent his pulling muscles from being able to be utilized.

Well think of it this way, the pull-up utilizes mainly your latissimus dorsi and biceps (along with some additional supporting muscles). Those muscles are used to pull things towards you. How often in a hockey game are players pulling things? They're usually using their 'push' muscles. (triceps, chest, etc)

I can imagine needing good pull muscles on the backcheck, like when you're stick-lifitng.

What likely happened is he only worked out one type of his arm muscles and never the muscles that actually do any pulling so when he tries to pull up he wouldn't be able to because his other muscles are too big and get in the way and prevent his pulling muscles from being able to be utilized.

Does anyone know the stats for his other workouts?

Bennet is a center. Try to think of the movement required to win a faceoff. Thats a huge part of his job, and the primary muscles involved in winning a faceoff are involved in doing pullups.. albeit 1 sided. The 'pulling' muscles are hugely important for battles on the boards, warding off defenders when cutting to the net etc. They also play a huge role in shoulder stabilization, support and thus preventing injury to the shoulder, as do the pushing muscles. You'd be surprised how much you rely on pulling movements for doing pretty much anything. I'm not understating the importance of pushing movements either..

Does anybody know what he got for the bench press?

He will definitely need to 'beef up' but I see this as a positive for whichever team ends up drafting him.. It is only up from here for Bennet

Bennet is a center. Try to think of the movement required to win a faceoff. Thats a huge part of his job, and the primary muscles involved in winning a faceoff are involved in doing pullups.. albeit 1 sided. The 'pulling' muscles are hugely important for battles on the boards, warding off defenders when cutting to the net etc. They also play a huge role in shoulder stabilization, support and thus preventing injury to the shoulder, as do the pushing muscles. You'd be surprised how much you rely on pulling movements for doing pretty much anything. I'm not understating the importance of pushing movements either..

Does anybody know what he got for the bench press?

He will definitely need to 'beef up' but I see this as a positive for whichever team ends up drafting him.. It is only up from here for Bennet

I know all that, I'm simply trying to explain why he was unable to manage even one.

We all warned him. Work on your pulls bro we said, one day the National Pullup League will come calling. But no, he was always sneaking off to play 'hockey', whatever that is. As if that'll getcha anywhere.

:lol:

The people saying "well it's hockey, not a pull-up competition." Come on. This is the highest level of professional hockey in the world that he's advertising himself to. He is trying to showcase his physical abilities for his future as a professional athlete...and the guy can't do a single pull-up.

That's not good. I'm not saying this debacle will derail his career or anything over the top like that, but that's just embarrassing.

I think the bigger issue is that it means he has not really been training very hard. He is an athlete on the verge of being a professional athlete and he's not training like a fiend? really? this is what he will be doing for a living! He may drop over concerns not that he needs to get stronger but rather that he simply hasn't thought about the importance of this, it may lend insight into his attitude (ie happy to play on natural talent). We all know, natural talent doesn't keep you in the NHL, work does. Yes could be a 1/2 full or 1/2 empty thing but it will indeed make some teams concerned...especially when you see guys like Ekblad, Draisaitl, and some others who have clearly focused on gaining strength. Its not like this kid didn't know strength was an issue, its not that he didn't know if he wants to play in the NHL he needs to get stronger, well you come to a combine for prospective pros and you cant do ONE pull up (even if its palms in - which is much harder), thats BAD.

The people saying "well it's hockey, not a pull-up competition." Come on. This is the highest level of professional hockey in the world that he's advertising himself to. He is trying to showcase his physical abilities for his future as a professional athlete...and the guy can't do a single pull-up.

That's not good. I'm not saying this debacle will derail his career or anything over the top like that, but that's just embarrassing.

This. It's about putting your best foot forward. Bennett knew the Combine was coming. Kids train for this, ESPECIALLY top 5 draft picks. The fact that he didn't train for pull ups says more about his character than his physical capability. Sure he could get stronger, but can a team make him understand that he needs to a LOT more if he wants to be a pro hockey player? It's questionable.

Archived