The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No pull-ups for top ranked prospect Bennett at combine

The people saying "well it's hockey, not a pull-up competition." Come on. This is the highest level of professional hockey in the world that he's advertising himself to. He is trying to showcase his physical abilities for his future as a professional athlete...and the guy can't do a single pull-up.

That's not good. I'm not saying this debacle will derail his career or anything over the top like that, but that's just embarrassing.

I agree. I'd be embarrassed too. But this just goes to show he's got a lot of room on his frame for more size and strength, and with his playstyle he'll be a monster when he does.

I thought he did do some, but they didn't count because his form was bad?

If it said that in the article, just ignore me. I couldn't be bothered to read them making something out of nothing. It's odd, but he'll get stronger as he matures and trains more.

Why

I am about 5'11" and around 197/198 pounds and I just got home from the gym and did 14 pull-ups (1 year and 3 weeks of gym training for me)

Now try doing that when you don't lift weights at all but you still weighing 200lbs. Good luck. That's why I'd be rather impressed if someone could actually do that. It might be different if you're skin and bones..

It's kind of a head scratcher. Kid couldn't even get one. Will need to put on some muscle and beef up. I really hope he isn't playing in the nhl next year.

pull ups are real easy to train for i set up a bar at home could do maybe 2 after 3 months i could do 18-20.

pretty much do as many clean as possible then use something to assist like a stool or something use it to help get you up then don't use it to lower yourself repeat. but yeah kinda odd he couldn't do even one. i would assume any somewhat physically fit ie not overweight person would naturally be able to do at least one.

I thought he did do some, but they didn't count because his form was bad?

If it said that in the article, just ignore me. I couldn't be bothered to read them making something out of nothing. It's odd, but he'll get stronger as he matures and trains more.

This. Tyler Toffoli had the same thing happen to him during his combine.

Now try doing that when you don't lift weights at all but you still weighing 200lbs. Good luck. That's why I'd be rather impressed if someone could actually do that. It might be different if you're skin and bones..

I forgot to mention when I started going to the gym (at the same weight as now) in May of last year I could only muster 2 pull-ups and the 2nd one was ugly

I am assuming he hits the gym at least once a week and even if he doesn't target the right muscle groups I am sure he is doing something that will help strengthen his lat's/biceps etc....

Unfortunately he will be remembered for this until he does something great in the NHL.

Glass half full: Bennett dominates his peers despite poor upper body strength. His skating, vision and skills are obviously amazing. Superstar material. Strength is the EASIEST aspect of athletic performance to improve.

Glass half empty: Yikes, I can do 12 pull ups and I'm nothing special. We've got a major project here and those little shoulders may get pulverized at the NHL level.

(Weirdest of all, the winner of the pull up test got 12. Again, I can do 12 and I all I do is golf and eat cookie dough.)

Point out where I said I don't work out.

In reality I do 3/4 times a week on top of swimming several K 2 or 3 times a week. My workouts aren't great or ideally structured or anything, but heck its better than nothing. But it's all sort of negated by my fondness for cheese and fine liquor which coats my muscles in a fine layer of chub.

Just because I don't consider myself "athletic" doesnt mean I'm in bad shape in general.

However a top NHL prospect should definitely be in better shape than I am.

What was I saying about weak draft? Apparently I was being literal.There is no way this is worthy of a thread though.

Lol, you guys take it so seriously. Posted it so some people could get a laugh. It's not career threatening but hysterical nonethtless.

For me it's the lack of preparation more than anything.

Didn't he know there would be a pull ups test? Couldn't he have worked on that a bit so he could bang out 2 or 3 and not make a headline out of himself?

He stressed his work ethic in his interviews... Gotta wonder.

Does he even lift?

All kidding aside, I'm skeptical of people in this thread saying it's easy to do pullups and that they can do way more than him and blah blah blah. We're not talking about swinging crossfit crap pullups here, anyone can do those. Doing strict form, dead hang pullups is much more difficult than many are making it out to be, especially after doing multiple other fitness tests.

Sure he looks skinny in the pic, but just a few months of lifting and a bulking diet can do wonders for a person's strength.

Does he even lift?

All kidding aside, I'm skeptical of people in this thread saying it's easy to do pullups and that they can do way more than him and blah blah blah. We're not talking about swinging crossfit crap pullups here, anyone can do those. Doing strict form, dead hang pullups is much more difficult than many are making it out to be, especially after doing multiple other fitness tests.

Sure he looks skinny in the pic, but just a few months of lifting and a bulking diet can do wonders for a person's strength.

Exactly, and I'm still pretty sure someone else mentioned that he did do some, but they weren't counted as his form was not up to their standards.

Unfortunately he will be remembered for this until he does something great in the NHL.

Glass half full: Bennett dominates his peers despite poor upper body strength. His skating, vision and skills are obviously amazing. Superstar material. Strength is the EASIEST aspect of athletic performance to improve.

Glass half empty: Yikes, I can do 12 pull ups and I'm nothing special. We've got a major project here and those little shoulders may get pulverized at the NHL level.

(Weirdest of all, the winner of the pull up test got 12. Again, I can do 12 and I all I do is golf and eat cookie dough.)

Pull-ups are easy but wide grip ones are not so much.

And also, he probably did a bunch of exercises that drained all his energy (like the V02 Max).

Not even one? I mean just one...

I know it's pointless but just one. There was a fat kid in my school who could muster one. That guy was a trooper. I want to know if he gave up right away, that'll tell me about his character to an extent. Unless he's only allowed one attempt.

Archived