The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No pull-ups for top ranked prospect Bennett at combine

As Craig Button said look at the glass half full, you know there is a lot of room for improvement and growth physically. If Bennett can be so good already but not physically matured, imagine when he has had proper training and is fully matured. He will be a force to be reckoned with.

This is getting overblown

Sorry, but I expect a top pick in the NHL not only to be well trained, beat a peak physical specimen.

There are danger signs all over that!

I'm assuming that he probably was tired from doing other exercises. There's no way he can't do even one pull up. Anyone know how far apart his exercises were spaced? Was this one of his last ones?

I'm also curious how many pull ups Ekblad managed to do. Probably 250 :D

He probably had a taxing back workout and was worn out by the time he had to do pull-ups. We've all been there.

Of course the media see's this and writes a story to spice things up a bit.

Edit: Maybe he'll drop to 6th now? B)

I thought he did do some, but they didn't count because his form was bad?

Out of all the possible reasons speculated in this thread, this is by far the most likely one. Fortunately, it's also the easiest one to fix.

I wouldn't mind seeing him drop down to us though.

I would stay away from him. He knew the combine was coming up, and this shows a lack of commitment. Anybody who really wants to make the NHL trains hard enough to do one pull up.

This is his lifelong dream and if he's not putting in the hours now, what makes you think he will once he is drafted?

I would stay away from him. He knew the combine was coming up, and this shows a lack of commitment. Anybody who really wants to make the NHL trains hard enough to do one pull up.

This is his lifelong dream and if he's not putting in the hours now, what makes you think he will once he is drafted?

Ha, stay away cause he lacks shoulder and arm strength? What a joke.

He scored 91 pts and racked up 118 PIMS in 57 games with obvious upper body strength issues. What's he gonna look like once his body's matured and he gets on a pro workout regime?

I'm gonna come back and refer to this thread and mock everyone who has written this kid off cause of pull-ups :lol:

I predict him being embarassed by that and working so hard that next year he comes back does more pull-ups than everybody else on the team he's on

EDIT: Not that I specifically care about how many pullups a 17 year old can do. He's still a special player

When I was 18 I was 180lbs and able to do 25-30 pullups. Well I was/still am an exercise fanatic at the time and did training a lot to stay in shape but nonetheless, you have to assume Bennett does that too considering where he is and what lies ahead for him. Just really bizarre and extremely off he couldn't even crack one : p

This.

People can spin this anyway they want.

The fact is, not being able to do 1 pull up is unacceptable and a major red flag.

When I was 18 I was 180lbs and able to do 25-30 pullups. Well I was/still am an exercise fanatic at the time and did training a lot to stay in shape but nonetheless, you have to assume Bennett does that too considering where he is and what lies ahead for him. Just really bizarre and extremely off he couldn't even crack one : p

Ok, you could do 25-30 pullups. Could you score 91 pts in 57 games in Major Junior hockey? I didn't think so.

Apples and oranges.

Ha, stay away cause he lacks shoulder and arm strength? What a joke.

He scored 91 pts and racked up 118 PIMS in 57 games with obvious upper body strength issues. What's he gonna look like once his body's matured and he gets on a pro workout regime?

I'm gonna come back and refer to this thread and mock everyone who has written this kid off cause of pull-ups :lol:

You're misrepresenting that poster's argument. They aren't saying he lacks strength, they are questioning his commitment.

You know that the combine is coming up and you want to put your best foot forward. The tests they do are not much of a secret. Why not at least make sure you can do one pull-up before going in?

Nobody can legitimately say that he is a bust based on this alone, I think most people are just saying that it is one indicator of concern.

You're misrepresenting that poster's argument. They aren't saying he lacks strength, they are questioning his commitment.

You know that the combine is coming up and you want to put your best foot forward. The tests they do are not much of a secret. Why not at least make sure you can do one pull-up before going in?

Nobody can legitimately say that he is a bust based on this alone, I think most people are just saying that it is one indicator of concern.

Good points. I'll accept this.

But the kid is an obvious talent who I think will learn from the backlash (some justified) and work on all facets of being an athlete, not just the game itself.

Having said that, i'm still gonna come back and mock the people writing him off cause of pullups ::D

I can definitely see it both ways here.

on one hand I question his work ethic now. as others said everything you've done from when you are born till now is measured in the draft and combine. its one thing to have poor results, but to not be able to mustard 1 good pullup? that's not good. big red flag.

on the other hand I think it was sutter who said "pucks aren't that heavy". if you manage 100pts a season I dont really care if you can bench 300 or sit by your pool all day slamming rails of stippers buttcracks. look at patrick kane. he's a notorious partyboy. he has won the past 2 games for the hawks with 7pts including a GWG and the assist on the other gwg.

if he falls. I take him and run. fast. out of Philadelphia. before anyone realises what just went down.

The people saying "well it's hockey, not a pull-up competition." Come on. This is the highest level of professional hockey in the world that he's advertising himself to. He is trying to showcase his physical abilities for his future as a professional athlete...and the guy can't do a single pull-up.

That's not good. I'm not saying this debacle will derail his career or anything over the top like that, but that's just embarrassing.

I doubt ovechkin can do one pull up now yet he scores 60 goals/year. Although it is funny to be a professional athlete and not be able to do one pull up (except if you are a baseball player)

That's crazy in the sense that the players should be prepped on what to expect at the Combine. It's surprising that he wouldn't know that he'd be expected to do pull ups.

Well hopefully it doesn't hold him back in terms of his draft position. If he had failed the V02 max test or if he was grossly overweight or out of shape, that would have been more of a problem than something like this.

Archived