The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No pull-ups for top ranked prospect Bennett at combine

Good points. I'll accept this.

But the kid is an obvious talent who I think will learn from the backlash (some justified) and work on all facets of being an athlete, not just the game itself.

Having said that, i'm still gonna come back and mock the people writing him off cause of pullups : :D

True. Its definitely no reason to knock him out of the top five (lucky for us if it does). Just odd.

Gary Roberts would never survive in the new nhl he is literally one of the worst nhl skaters I've ever seen.

Yes but we're talking about Bennett and his physical ability, not his skating ability.

Yes but we're talking about Bennett and his physical ability, not his skating ability.

Yea but everyone in this thread seems to be missing the point that being physically fit does not make you a good hockey or even better hockey player; in certain aspects. It's like a football quarterback is not suppose to spend a lot of time working on their upper body or arms.

I'm just surprised a kid with a good body composition can't do it. He is slender but guys like that usually have a good strength to weight ratio. Gotta admit I LOL'd when I saw him trying. If he was doing Olympic barbell cleans before or body rows I might cut him some slack.

Yea but everyone in this thread seems to be missing the point that being physically fit does not make you a good hockey or even better hockey player; in certain aspects. It's like a football quarterback is not suppose to spend a lot of time working on their upper body or arms.

No ones saying that lol. We're just mocking his pullup ability. Heck Byfuglien probably can't do 5 push-ups, doesn't mean he's a bad NHLer...just something to have a good laugh at and a 'wth, how'd that happen' type thing :P

Anyone notice that in the pic he appears to be doing chin ups, not pullups?

Whether they are pullups or chin ups or not, even people in good shape struggle with legitimate, up to standard pullups. At the NHL combine, I'm sure they were watching to make sure strict form is obeyed. As I mentioned before, when most people do "pullups" they either don't go all the way down so the are hanging straight down with their arms fully relaxed, or they swing around and use momentum to help themselves get up.

In reality, I would guess that the vast majority of people would also be unable to do one pullup with perfect form. Now of course you would expect more from a future pro athlete, just saying it's harder than it's being made out to be.

Quite a difference between NHL and NFL combines, Christ if a prospect couldn't do a pullup in a NFL one he would be laughed out of the place. Like the Russian last year that chose not to participate the NFL guys would have told him to turn in his man card.

Anyone notice that in the pic he appears to be doing chin ups, not pullups?

Whether they are pullups or chin ups or not, even people in good shape struggle with legitimate, up to standard pullups. At the NHL combine, I'm sure they were watching to make sure strict form is obeyed. As I mentioned before, when most people do "pullups" they either don't go all the way down so the are hanging straight down with their arms fully relaxed, or they swing around and use momentum to help themselves get up.

In reality, I would guess that the vast majority of people would also be unable to do one pullup with perfect form. Now of course you would expect more from a future pro athlete, just saying it's harder than it's being made out to be.

Chin ups are even easier. How is it possible to not even do one? Even if he's too tired to blow out a candle, we're talking about not even ONE

How is that even possible.... Wow, has that ever happened to any other highly ranked players?

Saw someone mention it happened to Tyler Toffoli. Not sure if that's a true statement but it obviously wouldn't make the headlines like this as Sam Bennett is a top ranked prospect.

Give him a couple of summers working with Gary Roberts. I agree with the above point regarding there being room for improvement.

If I was a GM, I'd be asking about it, but as long as he has a plan in place to improve this aspect of his development, or is willing to work with the team to develop one, I wouldn't hold it against the kid.

Speaking of Roberts TSN reported he couldnt do a pull-up either so its not the end of the world.

Archived