The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Craig Button on the 2014 Draft: Tallon, Nylander and Ehlers, Top 10 Selections

Craig Button is a name I recognize and can put a face too because I've listened to him so many times and been like do you know anything about hockey?

I mean the last thing I remember him saying were the Ducks were going to be this years Stanley Cup champions which is like what?

Tallon prefers skill, eh?

Seabrook over Parise.

Byfuglien.

Barker.

Bickell.

Brouwer.

Ladd.

Hjalmarsson.

Toews

aaaaaand Kane. The ONE guy who stands out among all these Tallon acquisitions as 'small.' And Kane is as offensively skilled as anyone in the league.

God-damn Button is an idiot. Who does he work for again? TSN? Oh. That's makes sense then.

BAN this fool!

Here's an idea:

Perhaps the Canucks should acquire more stronger guys and then wrap up the rebuild with a small skilled guy, rather than starting with a small skilled guy and waiting for him to break before the rebuild is complete.

Or do we think we're close to the end of the rebuild? Hint: No.

Regardless, we should be wrapping this up with a truly elite player, like Kane. Not puffed wheat like Nylander or Ehlers. Esp. when Nylander and Ehlers aren't ranked as elite players within their ho-hum draft class. (Button's imagining of Tallon actually trading down for these guys is 100% fiction. If Tallon does that he'll be a laughing stock.)

The Canucks need to start acquiring more truly great players. Not more weakass crap.

He never played juniors in NA so we can stick him in Utica right away. I suspect he will want to stay in the SEL for a year though. I would like to see him develop in the AHL right away but I guess that is just a wish .

So ultimately it's up to Nylander. He can stay in SEL if he doesn't crack the roster?

I can see it shaking out this way. I would be happy with Dal Colle and certainly Draisaitl but PLEASE lets pray Bennett does not fall down there. I am telling you he is over rated.

Let me guess... It's because of his lack of pull ups? Bennett is rated consensus top 3. He plays in all 3 zones and put up pretty sweet numbers. If you look at the glass half-full, he didn't even scratch his physical capabilities yet. He's not undersized and he'll grow bigger and stronger. If Bennett falls, that will be the best thing to ever happen to the Canucks

Let me guess... It's because of his lack of pull ups? Bennett is rated consensus top 3. He plays in all 3 zones and put up pretty sweet numbers. If you look at the glass half-full, he didn't even scratch his physical capabilities yet. He's not undersized and he'll grow bigger and stronger. If Bennett falls, that will be the best thing to ever happen to the Canucks

I disagree but you certainly put a lot of hyperbole into my post that I didnt assign.

I disagree but you certainly put a lot of hyperbole into my post that I didnt assign.

I was just surprised since you're such a big Ehlers fan, I decided to compare the two. Ehlers only put up slightly different numbers in a league that is notorious for high-scoring. Bennett plays a strong two way game while Ehlers doesn't. Bennett is also bigger with an unrefined body that can be worked on easily

If we trade for the 1st overall, we should draft Reinhart. I don't see why would go with the defenseman when our team clearly lacked offense. And like I've said before, the best forward is almost always better than the best defenseman.

If we draft 6th overall and Draisaitl and Dal Colle fall to us, we should take Dal Colle. Draisaitl is really slow. I would even consider Ehlers/Nylander before him.

Of the pre-determined Top-5 ...Ekblad, Draisaitl & Reinhart impress me the most. Draisaitl is not slow...he gets around the ice, just fine. He may have slower bursting-out speed compared to Nylander, who is top-ranked in that way...but not any slower than many of the other Top-10 ranked draftees. He is intent on using the info he's been given... to further develop himself in this area & he shines in so many other ways both on & off of the ice. His character and interview skills are top-notch.

Altho' Nylander tested exceptionally well in a few areas, top marks even. He's still the wild card pick. Is he just immature & cocky like Kane was...or will he need baby-sitting like Seguin did for a time? Will he be a committed PRO..or will he be overly-selfish & lack loyalty, then jump-ship, hold-out, or cause the team that selects him any number of head-aches?

Similar questions swirl around quarter-back Johnny Manziel who dropped drastically in the 2014 NFL draft order on draft day. Manziel, is considered by some to be a money-grabbing attention-seeker....yet, he's ripping it up in training-camp right now, on-time..getting there early, staying late...& trying extremely hard to prove all his nay-sayers wrong! Could all of this combine chatter be just as humbling for Nylander? Can he now see that being considered to be too much of a hot-dog...isn't always a good thing? Can he prove that he will buy-in to the full-team concept? Does he understand why several GM's out there are doubting that he'll ever become an all-sacrificing PRO...who's expected to lead his team by example day-in & night-out, one day? Maybe a big chip has been firmly planted on his shoulder now, too.

If anyone can humble an up-start hockey-playing Swede...perhaps a pair of Gold-Medal winning country-men, like the Sedins, can. Just sayin'....

I just hope it aint Bennett. :(

I gotta admit, i'm not totally sold on Bennett. Probably the one i would prefer least out of the top5, i think i like Draisaitl and Dal Colle better. Still, there's a reason why he's ranked 1st in NA and 1st on several other lists. Bennett would be a great pick if we picked him at 6th.

If we trade for the 1st overall, we should draft Reinhart. I don't see why would go with the defenseman when our team clearly lacked offense. And like I've said before, the best forward is almost always better than the best defenseman.

Offense will be solved this summer with the hiring of an offensive-minded coach, who takes our franchise leaders off the PK and puts them back onto pure offensive zone duties. The Sedins will bounce back to 70pt+ seasons, barring injuries. Add in Burrows returning to their wing, that's probably another 25-30 goals added to our total.

I still maintain that Benning should offer Florida the following package for the 1st:

Jason Garrison (waives NTC to play for the team he 'grew up' on, and with whom he had success)

+

6th overall (so they can draft Ehlers, who they supposedly wanted at one point)

+

Jannik Hansen/Jordan Schroeder

That gives Florida the player they want + a top 4 D man to run their PP + a 3rd liner who can step up if injuries necessitate. We could even add a 2015 3rd/lower level prospect to the deal if they wanted. I'd happily hand over someone like Lain if it meant we had a stud like Ekblad to build around.

Archived