The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Red Wings have 'considerable interest' in Edler

Considering how wrong you were in determining Luongo's value before the trade, I disagree with your valuing of Edler.

Don't think that Detroit parts with Mantha. A couple of decent prospects for Edler makes sense. No Weiss involved.

Are you serious Hoff?

Lou HAD value, but GMMG shat the bed....repeatedly.

I know more than a few photographers involved in a project to actually photograph Detroits ruins. And they are termed ruins. The unreal decline and slow degradation of that city has been incredible.

Homes once valued in the hundreds of thousands now cannot be given away. Whole blocks of homes up for sale for under $10k

It is insane

Photographers is one thing. Urban planners is another. I actually see photographers refer to their photo essays as "abandoned". Homes can be bought cheaper than a old used car in other cities in Michigan. Anyways 3rd world city is the correct terminology used by urban scientists.

I'd honestly hold onto Edled until the deadline. I'm all for trading him but his value is really low and Wings being so smart are probably trying to acquire him dirt cheap.

Would rather wait for his value to go up, get more teams in the competition, then trade him.

I'd honestly hold onto Edled until the deadline. I'm all for trading him but his value is really low and Wings being so smart are probably trying to acquire him dirt cheap.

Would rather wait for his value to go up, get more teams in the competition, then trade him.

I mean if the price is right, get it done in the off-season. If Edler has another bad season next year then his value is going to drop tremendously.

If we move Alex Edler it will come back to bite Vancouver in the ass. Bank on it.

He needs a fresh start elsewhere and I wouldn't be surprised if he has career year with a new team sometime soon if we trade him. Just look at Weise, he has done well since the trade. Sometimes players do better in the Eastern Conference as opposed to the Western Conference or vice versa.

Even if we do manage to trade Edler, we would still have a pretty good top 6 defense core heading forward:

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

Stanton Corrado

One concern that I have is that both Bieksa and Hamhuis have 2 years left on their contracts and both are in their 30s. When their contracts are about to expire, the questions are,1) how much will they re-sign for? 2) how long the term? 3) How much gas will they have left in the tank? 4) will we end up trading one of them?

Bieska sounds like he would like to finish his career as a Canuck so I think we can get a fair deal for him. Hamhuis, I am concerned he might end up asking for too much to re-sign or might not re-sign at all and wants to go to a contender that we might end up trading him before his contract is up so that could be a reason why we may want to keep Edler instead and hope that he bounces back?

If we're planning on competing immediately(hope not), it would prob make sense to deal him(get 2 pieces; maybe open cap space).

IF we're taking a longer, more thorough view, we deal Kesler first. Receive at least 3 significant assets. Then we can afford patience with Edler, & try to get him back to his former level. Or if we receive a worthwhile offer(at least 2 good prospects/picks), we can make the move-but not out of desperation.

Between the twins & Edler, it's 19 mil/cap for the next FOUR years. If AT LEAST two of these players don't get back to being stars, we're basically screwed.

I didn't want to disrespect the twins either,(with their contributions, & off-ice class), but MG's contracts to them & Edler, are beginning to smell foul. Situation could easily be compared to Kessel, Clarkeson & Phaneuf at 20 mill.

We've committed almost 27% of our team's cap space to 2011 nostalgia. Fans might endure this for ANOTHER poor season, but after that, they may begin to turn against these previously excellent players, & well-respected teammates. If it descends to that scenario, further trade-talk will be like trying to sell a 1992 Hyundai.

I liked a lot of what MG accomplished during his tenure(believe his not being part of the ol'boys-network, was a big hurdle to overcome), but these 3 contracts worry me. Looking back(in 2 or 3 yrs), it may go down as more damaging to his legacy, than his handling of the GT-dilemma.

Even if we do manage to trade Edler, we would still have a pretty good top 6 defense core heading forward:

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

Stanton Corrado

One concern that I have is that both Bieksa and Hamhuis have 2 years left on their contracts and both are in their 30s. When their contracts are about to expire, the questions are,1) how much will they re-sign for? 2) how long the term? 3) How much gas will they have left in the tank? 4) will we end up trading one of them?

Bieska sounds like he would like to finish his career as a Canuck so I think we can get a fair deal for him. Hamhuis, I am concerned he might end up asking for too much to re-sign that we might end up trading him before his contract is up so that could be a reason why we may want to keep Edler instead and hope that he bounces back?

That's the thing. Right now we have this:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Garrison - Stanton/Corrado

To bring in Corrado next year, we would have to move one of our defenseman as Garrison doesn't belong on the third pairing. It would also make sense to sign a couple of depth defensemen as extras as every year we are always battling with injuries on the blueline.

Unless Mantha is coming back our way, id rather we keep Edler. I was on the trade Edler bandwagon last year but looking at the Cali teams, we need his size and physicality back there and he's still young with a good cap hit.

Garrison or Tanev are defencemen that we should look to trade.

Tanev is going to look for a long term contract and it will probably be in the 4m range. our defence will be too expensive.

Jensen is awesome, I think its a great trade. If detroit thinks a 20th overall overager in the Q is worth more than Edler than they're doomed.

I think it is a horrendous trade for DET. Jensen has 2nd line potential at best. Edler is coming off his worst season. Makes sense for DET to trade their best prospect when their stars are getting old. :picard:

Considering it was a deep draft and how he has improved since, I think Mantha will be a good player.

DET doesn't need Edler. They can spend cap to look for a defenseman.

I mean if the price is right, get it done in the off-season. If Edler has another bad season next year then his value is going to drop tremendously.

I have wanted to lose Edler since his back issues when his value was the highest.

After the cup run boom gone.

Back issues are funny man and they can mess a normal person up for life, without mentioning a finely tuned athlete.

If the price is indeed right don't wait, make the trade.

I think it is a horrendous trade for DET. Jensen has 2nd line potential at best. Edler is coming off his worst season. Makes sense for DET to trade their best prospect when their stars are getting old. :picard:

Considering it was a deep draft and how he has improved since, I think Mantha will be a good player.

DET doesn't need Edler. They can spend cap to look for a defenseman.

The problem is...they don't really have the cap to spend and it's a bare UFA year. In a faster stronger and slightly more skilled east Det next season faces missing the playoffs for the first time since what like 89/90? Mantha did fall on work ethic and consistency issues and he might still be a season or two from stepping in to help

Edler can help them now....and if they can clear the cap space I think they;d do something to get him. It all depends on timing I guess and what's available

The problem is...they don't really have the cap to spend and it's a bare UFA year. In a faster stronger and slightly more skilled east Det next season faces missing the playoffs for the first time since what like 89/90? Mantha did fall on work ethic and consistency issues and he might still be a season or two from stepping in to help

Edler can help them now....and if they can clear the cap space I think they;d do something to get him. It all depends on timing I guess and what's available

They have 20 million in cap with not a lot of RFA's to sign. I see them letting go of some people like Bert and Samuels and resigning Alfie and Legwand if they want to stay. Mrazek is good enough to be a backup and he's on an EL contract so they don't need to re-sign Gustav.

They will have enough cap to go after someone(s) in FA. Even then there will be better options than Edler on the trade market.

They will never trade Mantha for Edler. Even if they are interested in him they still won't. I am 100% positive.

Archived