The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Red Wings have 'considerable interest' in Edler

I think Edler is probably one of the least likely players on this team to waive his NTC.

From what I've been told (I can't confirm this but I trust the source), Edler's long time girlfriend (Amanda Lombardo), is a local girl who has family here (including her parents) who are connected to several local businesses. Alex and Amanda have lived together for quite some time now and their relationship would basically qualify as a longterm common law marriage. I would imagine that she was a big driving force in Edler seeking a no trade (and probably giving up money to get one) when his last extension was negotiated.

Also, Edler, like many Swedes (and most Scandinavians), seems to value the livability of a city like Vancouver, with a vibrant urban life, (mostly) clean and safe streets, and a walk/cycle accessible city centre. This is pretty much the opposite of what Detroit has become. Most of the Red Wings players seem to live out in the northern and western suburbs and only enter the actual City of Detroit when they're commuting in to Joe Louis Arena.

Alex and Amanda are often spotted around downtown and various city neighbourhoods and they can be seen attending many local events and attractions. By all accounts, they love living in this city and it would appear that they place a huge premium on everything that comes with being a Vancouverite.

I'd even argue that Alex Edler probably values living in Vancouver more than playing for this team and his teammates. Not saying that he's less dedicated to the team than the other guys. Just that his personal life appears to hold greater connections to the City of Vancouver than many of the other Canucks players.

So I'd doubt that moving to another team, even one with many Swedes on the roster, would hold much interest for Alex Edler.

It really seems like Edler's here to stay and that he will probably be one of those players who maintains a home here even after his playing days are over.

Management would probably have to put on enormous pressure (and make things really uncomfortable for him) to force Edler to waive. I don't think they'd consider this option because the NHL is a small community and word would spread very quickly if they resorted to these kinds of dealings. It would basically kill the Canucks' ability to sign future free agents.

He's probably been asked already (by the previous management regime) and I doubt his answer would change for Benning or Linden.

Edler's made his feelings very clear publicly (that he won't waive for a trade to any other NHL team). In his private conversations with management, I'd assume he's been even more resolute in this stance.

An Alex Edler trade really seems to be about as close as you get to a "non-starter" (or would be too difficult--and ultimately damaging to this organization's reputation--to be worthwhile). Probably better for the Canucks to focus on acquiring the kind of player needed to form an effective tandem with Edler (an issue that's going on for at least two seasons now). If Edler's here for the long haul--and it really seems like he is--we need to maximize the value he brings to the this team, which is something Gillis failed to do, in terms of his personnel decisions over the past few years.

I think Edler is probably one of the least likely players on this team to waive his NTC.

From what I've been told (I can't confirm this but I trust the source), Edler's long time girlfriend (Amanda Lombardo), is a local girl who has family here (including her parents) who are connected to several local businesses. Alex and Amanda have lived together for quite some time now and their relationship would basically qualify as a longterm common law marriage. I would imagine that she was a big driving force in Edler seeking a no trade (and probably giving up money to get one) when his last extension was negotiated.

Also, Edler, like many Swedes (and most Scandinavians), seems to value the livability of a city like Vancouver, with a vibrant urban life, (mostly) clean and safe streets, and a walk/cycle accessible city centre. This is pretty much the opposite of what Detroit has become. Most of the Red Wings players seem to live out in the northern and western suburbs and only enter the actual City of Detroit when they're commuting in to Joe Louis Arena.

Alex and Amanda are often spotted around downtown and various city neighbourhoods and they can be seen attending many local events and attractions. By all accounts, they love living in this city and it would appear that they place a huge premium on everything that comes with being a Vancouverite.

I'd even argue that Alex Edler probably values living in Vancouver more than playing for this team and his teammates. Not saying that he's less dedicated to the team than the other guys. Just that his personal life appears to hold greater connections to the City of Vancouver than many of the other Canucks players.

So I'd doubt that moving to another team, even one with many Swedes on the roster, would hold much interest for Alex Edler.

It really seems like Edler's here to stay and that he will probably be one of those players who maintains a home here even after his playing days are over.

Management would probably have to put on enormous pressure (and make things really uncomfortable for him) to force Edler to waive. I don't think they'd consider this option because the NHL is a small community and word would spread very quickly if they resorted to these kinds of dealings. It would basically kill the Canucks' ability to sign future free agents.

He's probably been asked already (by the previous management regime) and I doubt his answer would change for Benning or Linden.

Edler's made his feelings very clear publicly (that he won't waive for a trade to any other NHL team). In his private conversations with management, I'd assume he's been even more resolute in this stance.

An Alex Edler trade really seems to be about as close as you get to a "non-starter" (or would be too difficult--and ultimately damaging to this organization's reputation--to be worthwhile). Probably better for the Canucks to focus on acquiring the kind of player needed to form an effective tandem with Edler (an issue that's going on for at least two seasons now). If Edler's here for the long haul--and it really seems like he is--we need to maximize the value he brings to the this team, which is something Gillis failed to do, in terms of his personnel decisions over the past few years.

Thanks for the info, but honestly the guy makes his D partner worse. He doesn't have a NMC so I'd honestly waive him and his 5M caphit and let Buffalo or someone take him. Benning didn't sign him, he owes him nothing. If Edler wants to play in Vancouver then he has to earn that damn 5M paycheck, not get outplayed horribly by literally every other Canuck. If he doesnt want a trade fine, waive him anyways. His caphit being gone outways what he brings to this team, which is nothing but goals against and Turnovers. We have Hammer, Garrison, Juice, Tanev, Stanton, Weber and Corrado. We dont need a liability on the back end.

Last I read Detroit had 65,000 abandoned houses and condos. It is a 3rd world city.

Who knows if Edler would waive or not. If Benning is saying they want to change it might be enough. I consider the Van d-core CUP quality even with the bad season. I suspect Benning and the new coach watch

Edler this fall and then decide. The gamble is that if he continues to slide his trade value sinks. All

this considered I would not be surprised to see one of the top 4 dealt.

Please, let's be civilized and use politically correct terms. Detroit is a LEDC (less economically developed city). Third world is a cold war political jargon indicating a county is not affiliated with either US or Soviet Russia.

I have heard the same...but here's my solution waive his butt.

I have heard the same...but here's my solution waive his butt.

You are suggesting waive Edler and get nothing for him???? A 27 year old former all star. Niskanen is the big FA this year, that's how hard it is to get a top 4 dman. There isn't any dmen after him either.

Thank god Benning is running this ship,

Trade him cheap somewhere he wants to go, or waive him for nothing somewhere he doesn't want to go. His choice. I'd rather give the message that we aren't as loyal with our NTC's (under new management) than the message that it's okay to sign big deals and then play like garbage.

Mantha or Nyquist.

Take your pick Detroit, one of them has to be coming back, preferably Mantha.

There's a reason an intelligent team like Detroit wants Edler. His ceiling is very high and is still young. Unless Detroit is willing to pay up, keep Edler.

Agreed that Detroit better be willing to pay. I suspect their interest is because they know Torts (and AV after Salo) tried to jam a square peg into a round hole. Edler comes alive when he can carry the puck, roam, pinch, shoot and hit. But if Detroit knows that, they're relying on the Nucks making a dumb decision to sell low based off of two seasons of butchered coaching and deployment.

Edit: Just read SID.IS.ME's post and I have to agree that this is very likely a non-starter anyways. I see Edler all over the place. He's out and about this city almost as much as I am, which is saying something.

That's a completely different article...

Uh, no it's not. Check what the source is in the article the OP posted, hence the 'original' article.

Here's the excerpt of the quote from the OP with the link in it:

According to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press, Edler's career-worst season hasn't dissuaded the Red Wings of his potential value and the club has "considerable interest" in potentially acquiring his services.

The rest is all filler put in by the writer, not factual info proving Detroit really wants him.

You are suggesting waive Edler and get nothing for him???? A 27 year old former all star. Niskanen is the big FA this year, that's how hard it is to get a top 4 dman. There isn't any dmen after him either.

Thank god Benning is running this ship,

At which point he would submit a list of teams. And we also send a message to the self-entitled players on our roster who think they can abuse the system and waste the teams and the fans money and time.

At which point he would submit a list of teams. And we also send a message to the self-entitled players on our roster who think they can abuse the system and waste the teams and the fans money and time.

What!?! :lol: Edler wouldn't be abusing the system by refusing to move. He HAS that right. It's in his contract.

Or he calls our bluff and we actually have to put him on waivers. Once he's put on waivers we can't just take it back.

And self-entitled? The guy has an off year and suddenly he's the devil himself. You're probably one of those guys that wanted Ehrhoff back, or maybe even Torres.

Last I read Detroit had 65,000 abandoned houses and condos. It is a 3rd world city.

Who knows if Edler would waive or not. If Benning is saying they want to change it might be enough. I consider the Van d-core CUP quality even with the bad season. I suspect Benning and the new coach watch

Edler this fall and then decide. The gamble is that if he continues to slide his trade value sinks. All

this considered I would not be surprised to see one of the top 4 dealt.

The Canucks current D does not have guys that can transition the puck effectively though. And all cup calibre teams have one or more that do just that. The Canucks D is vastly overrated overall imo. A bunch of #3/4 guys that don't really excel at any one thing.

Edler, Bieksa, and Garrison especially need actual roles that fit their skill sets to be more effective. Relying on any of the to carry a pairing has been a disaster of epic proportions. I would not be sad to see any of the 3 go tbh.

Archived