The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Red Wings have 'considerable interest' in Edler

Rumour has it that Jason garrison has been approached to waive NTc.

Garrison back to Florida along with a package of picks and prospects for the first overall?

Rumor was they really wanted to re-sign him before he left.

It also lines up with what Toronto apparently offered them, which was a top 4 D-man and a pick/young player.

I don't see Edler waiving his NTC. I wouldn't mind seeing him move, but I doubt it's going to happen.

Please, let's be civilized and use politically correct terms. Detroit is a LEDC (less economically developed city). Third world is a cold war political jargon indicating a county is not affiliated with either US or Soviet Russia.

Terminology yada yada; Detroit's a craphole, can we agree on that? Quite sad really, shows how racism can absolutely tear apart a city (and possibly a nation...Detroit might be a microcosm of what happens to the States).

The Canucks current D does not have guys that can transition the puck effectively though. And all cup calibre teams have one or more that do just that. The Canucks D is vastly overrated overall imo. A bunch of #3/4 guys that don't really excel at any one thing.

Edler, Bieksa, and Garrison especially need actual roles that fit their skill sets to be more effective. Relying on any of the to carry a pairing has been a disaster of epic proportions. I would not be sad to see any of the 3 go tbh.

Hammer can carry the puck pretty well too. But when you put both of our most mobile defensemen on the same line and ask them to play shutdown or offensive d man at will, it unsurprisingly messes with their game.

I don't see any of those NTC Dmen waiving, Garrison? doubt it the guy is from here always wanted to play here, KB not a chance,, Hamhuis same thing as Garrison, Edler kind of said it last season he was not going to waive not sure why he'd change his mind. When Tanev signs his new contract the Canucks will have 5 dmen earning 4mil or more, seems a bit hefty to role with that.

I don't see any of those NTC Dmen waiving, Garrison? doubt it the guy is from here always wanted to play here, KB not a chance,, Hamhuis same thing as Garrison, Edler kind of said it last season he was not going to waive not sure why he'd change his mind. When Tanev signs his new contract the Canucks will have 5 dmen earning 4mil or more, seems a bit hefty to role with that.

Surprising how fast that would change if they were told they would be waived to the AHL.

Last I read Detroit had 65,000 abandoned houses and condos. It is a 3rd world city.

Who knows if Edler would waive or not. If Benning is saying they want to change it might be enough. I consider the Van d-core CUP quality even with the bad season. I suspect Benning and the new coach watch

Edler this fall and then decide. The gamble is that if he continues to slide his trade value sinks. All

this considered I would not be surprised to see one of the top 4 dealt.

Its not an issue of waive. Or am I wrong? Edler has an NTC, which means he can produce a list of teams he is willing or not willing to go to. How many of each is in the fine print of his contract. He can be told to produce a list, and then we see if we can get a deal from the available list. Odd's are good teams like Detroit might be on the right list?

That said, we should not be in a hurry to trade Edler. My view is he needs the right training for his core. I watched him, his lateral movement, plus ability to turn, any explosive push had disappeared last year. Its speculation, but educated observation, that his back injury is hampering him. And its not speculation that such can injuries improve over time.

Its also not speculation that coaching misused him last year. I'd be surprised if he did not get 35 points this coming year, and I expect 40.

Last year I would have traded him or just not re signed him. I did want a PMD and we had 4 other two way guys. See LA's config (Mitchell with PMD Voynov, Green or Regehr with PMD Martinez, two PMD's on their top pair in Muzzin and Doughty) who I view as the best D in the league. Its also a case to hire Stevens, all 4 PMD's were developed by him. But at that time last year we were floored against the cap. And his value is artificially low while we now have some flexibility and next year we will have lots of cap muscle. We can therefore still get the PMD without moving Eddie. So why get rid of a good player?

The issue with the mule is that horrendous contract though. Another retirement contract on this team. I understand the whole Wiess issue being fundamentally similar as the Booth issue and what we've seen recently. But for Mantha and that 1st it is darned attractive

Your flat crazy :P

The mule had 41 points in 54 games, is 220 lbs, has ok speed and has savvy puck skills. Much like a healthy Samuelsson. He's owed only $17.5 mill on a $4 mill cap hit. If he plays another 2 years and retires there is only a $2 mill cap recapture, 3 years virtually nill. Detroit already paid him all the fat front end money. Franzen is an attractive get!

Weiss on the other hand is a dog. Expect him to be bought out. Owed $20.5 mill (who has the horrendous contract?) on a cap hit of $4.9 mill and a WHOPPING 8 points the last 2 years. The Wings would gladly trade him for Booth straight up.

Also, maybe last year Edler was worth Mantha and a first. Not at the moment... A tad optimistic? Hey, I'll take it if...

Weiss on the other hand is a dog. Expect him to be bought out. Owed $20.5 mill (who has the horrendous contract?) on a cap hit of $4.9 mill and a WHOPPING 8 points the last 2 years.

Will Detroit really do that, can they spin it? I doubt it.

Surprising how fast that would change if they were told they would be waived to the AHL.

not as fast as no free agents will ever sign in Vancouver again if that were to happen lol.. signs player to cheaper contract with NTC.. turns around waive your ntc or i bury you in the AHL

not as fast as no free agents will ever sign in Vancouver again if that were to happen lol.. signs player to cheaper contract with NTC.. turns around waive your ntc or i bury you in the AHL

Life sucks sometimes. UFA's won't sign in Van if a player is asked to waive his NTC? Bummer! A threat

of duty in the AHL is the last resort and is balanced with what is gained by keeping a player on the roster. Life as a NHLer is always based on the reality of a limited career. I highly doubt most players want to stay where they are not in the plan moving forward.

It would be surprising how fast they would be claimed off waivers and the Canucks would be sitting there with egg on their faces, losing an asset for nothing!

There is no chance in hell they would ever get to the AHL.

Funny how after Redden Fisco, St-Louis and Nash still wanted to play in NYR. They didn't sign but were traded after waiving NTC to play there.

Flyers signed long-term deal with Richards and Carter and traded them the next year. Player still want to play in Philly.

It would tarnish the Canucks rep in the moment, but within a year it would all be forgotten. Specially when the millions are going to be thrown at the UFA or roster player.

Now if you create a habit, then it could hurt long-term, but not for 1 or 2 player.

Funny how after Redden Fisco, St-Louis and Nash still wanted to play in NYR. They didn't sign but were traded after waiving NTC to play there.Flyers signed long-term deal with Richards and Carter and traded them the next year. Player still want to play in Philly.It would tarnish the Canucks rep in the moment, but within a year it would all be forgotten. Specially when the millions are going to be thrown at the UFA or roster player.Now if you create a habit, then it could hurt long-term, but not for 1 or 2 player.

Agreed

I doubt axing 1 player who isn't living up to his contract is gonna sour the market. Every team in the league will have a similar story, guys are still gonna look at the city, the team, and the money when making the choice.

Archived