The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Red Wings have 'considerable interest' in Edler

I think Edler is probably one of the least likely players on this team to waive his NTC.

From what I've been told (I can't confirm this but I trust the source), Edler's long time girlfriend (Amanda Lombardo), is a local girl who has family here (including her parents) who are connected to several local businesses. Alex and Amanda have lived together for quite some time now and their relationship would basically qualify as a longterm common law marriage. I would imagine that she was a big driving force in Edler seeking a no trade (and probably giving up money to get one) when his last extension was negotiated.

Also, Edler, like many Swedes (and most Scandinavians), seems to value the livability of a city like Vancouver, with a vibrant urban life, (mostly) clean and safe streets, and a walk/cycle accessible city centre. This is pretty much the opposite of what Detroit has become. Most of the Red Wings players seem to live out in the northern and western suburbs and only enter the actual City of Detroit when they're commuting in to Joe Louis Arena.

Alex and Amanda are often spotted around downtown and various city neighbourhoods and they can be seen attending many local events and attractions. By all accounts, they love living in this city and it would appear that they place a huge premium on everything that comes with being a Vancouverite.

I'd even argue that Alex Edler probably values living in Vancouver more than playing for this team and his teammates. Not saying that he's less dedicated to the team than the other guys. Just that his personal life appears to hold greater connections to the City of Vancouver than many of the other Canucks players.

So I'd doubt that moving to another team, even one with many Swedes on the roster, would hold much interest for Alex Edler.

It really seems like Edler's here to stay and that he will probably be one of those players who maintains a home here even after his playing days are over.

Management would probably have to put on enormous pressure (and make things really uncomfortable for him) to force Edler to waive. I don't think they'd consider this option because the NHL is a small community and word would spread very quickly if they resorted to these kinds of dealings. It would basically kill the Canucks' ability to sign future free agents.

He's probably been asked already (by the previous management regime) and I doubt his answer would change for Benning or Linden.

Edler's made his feelings very clear publicly (that he won't waive for a trade to any other NHL team). In his private conversations with management, I'd assume he's been even more resolute in this stance.

An Alex Edler trade really seems to be about as close as you get to a "non-starter" (or would be too difficult--and ultimately damaging to this organization's reputation--to be worthwhile). Probably better for the Canucks to focus on acquiring the kind of player needed to form an effective tandem with Edler (an issue that's going on for at least two seasons now). If Edler's here for the long haul--and it really seems like he is--we need to maximize the value he brings to the this team, which is something Gillis failed to do, in terms of his personnel decisions over the past few years.

Are you his neighbour or something? Haha seems like you know an aweful lot about the guy

Please, let's be civilized and use politically correct terms. Detroit is a LEDC (less economically developed city). Third world is a cold war political jargon indicating a county is not affiliated with either US or Soviet Russia.

You are too funny. LEDC stands for "Less Economically Developed Countries. No geopoliticalist uses the abbreviation as to what you claim it to be. Secondly, while you are correct in the origin of the term "Third World", it is also used interchangably with poor counties within the last 4 decades so the poster did not err or being less civilized.

If we trade Edler to the Wings, get ready for the "we never should have traded Edler" threads. They have the personnel to turn him into a world class defenceman. I would rather wait until we find out who our coaching staff will be before we trade a chip like Edler. He has all the right ingredients to be a star, even Torts acknowledged that. We just haven't had the right support for him yet.

Lock this thread if Linden has said he isn't trading Edler. It's like discussing Shea Weber trading options when Poile has said he will never trade Poile.

Of course Poile would never trade Poile.

I agree though, two threads stating players will not be moved, why keep it open for discussion?

Poile said he'd never trade himself?

Of course Poile would never trade Poile.

I agree though, two threads stating players will not be moved, why keep it open for discussion?

Haha whoops my bad, mean't Weber.

I doubt axing 1 player who isn't living up to his contract is gonna sour the market. Every team in the league will have a similar story, guys are still gonna look at the city, the team, and the money when making the choice.

sure it won't sour the market.. but it won't help a city that have a bad rep in the NHL already. Especially if the way they run business is offer them a lower salary with a NTC and then turns around to threaten them if they won't waive their NTC.. the difference with redden is no teams wanted him..

Lock this thread if Linden has said he isn't trading Edler. It's like discussing Shea Weber trading options when Poile has said he will never trade Weber.

If Pitt offered Crosby for Weber do you think Poile might consider that? How about if he through Malkin

in on the deal? How about you ask Gretzky about not being traded? There is no player who is not moveable.

Linden says he won't trade Edler. Do you think that a team GM will announce to the press that every player on his roster is up for trade? That is not the way it is done. What goes on behind closed doors usually stays there. Edler is tradeable it is all about what would come back and whether Edler would waive his NTC.

NTC and NMC are included in contracts as a bonus to valuable players who teams recognize. It gives players some say if the team wants to move them. Any suggestion that they preclude movement is naïve.

This rumour's false, has to be. No one has "considerable" interest in Edler. Except Linden.

This is the problem with Canucks fans.

Half of them overvalue our players, and the other half think they're all garbage.

Yes teams would have considerable interest in Edler.

If Pitt offered Crosby for Weber do you think Poile might consider that? How about if he through Malkin

in on the deal? How about you ask Gretzky about not being traded? There is no player who is not moveable.

Linden says he won't trade Edler. Do you think that a team GM will announce to the press that every player on his roster is up for trade? That is not the way it is done. What goes on behind closed doors usually stays there. Edler is tradeable it is all about what would come back and whether Edler would waive his NTC.

NTC and NMC are included in contracts as a bonus to valuable players who teams recognize. It gives players some say if the team wants to move them. Any suggestion that they preclude movement is naïve.

That's never going to happen though.

He wouldn't say Edler is on the block, he would have said everyone is available, if the right price is their, etc.. He sounds truthful with all his explanations to keeping Edler. There is no reason to trade Edler anyways, he has to tell the fans something other than just saying the obvious.

From a post on the TSN site

Of course they want Bieksa. He's a great leader in the dressing room.

Which is exactly why we shouldn't trade him. I want our young players developed under leadership like his.

Corrado will turn into a much better player with Bieksa mentoring him IMO.

I'd do that trade for Gagner since the fact that Bieksa wouldn't even consider a trade to a cup contending team has me question whether he even cares about the game anymore.

Every players' goal should be to win. I find it odd that he would go down with the ship. It's like he doesn't care. I dunno.

I'd do that trade for Gagner since the fact that Bieksa wouldn't even consider a trade to a cup contending team has me question whether he even cares about the game anymore.

Every players' goal should be to win. I find it odd that he would go down with the ship. It's like he doesn't care. I dunno.

Because Gagner is doing so well on a terrible Oilers team. No thanks. Bieksa is one of the few character players for the Canucks.

Archived