The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] R.J Umberger to Oilers for Sam Gagner

This sounds like the Heatley situation in Ottawa.

Heatley: I want to be traded. I don't care where, just get me the heck out of here.

Murray: OK, I've set up a deal with Edmonton.

Heatley: ...Let me rephrase that.

I think this is fair for both teams. Sam Gagner is one of those questionable second line players in the NHL. Umberger has seen his play regress but could still be a valuable piece to a team like Edmonton who lacks leadership in their forward group.

I could see it happening, I am pretty sure they have similar cap hits? Edmonton could afford to add to their cap either way.

This sounds like the Heatley situation in Ottawa.

Heatley: I want to be traded. I don't care where, just get me the heck out of here.

Murray: OK, I've set up a deal with Edmonton.

Heatley: ...Let me rephrase that.

I will never forget that deal. What a guy. DEMANDS a huge salary, NMC and then demands a trade WTF?

Edmonton remains dreadfully short of centre's.

They need one back should they trade Gagner?

He's a tad overpaid, but young and talented. I really don't see why they make the move. Rather just let him play his way back into the good books.

Similarly, Columbus already has another good young center. Boon Jenner!

The only reason they should want a centre would be a serious veteran defensive center. Say Kesler.

Terrible trade for EDM. At 24, Gagner is already putting up similar #s to Umberger and he still has +++ room to improve. Umberger has size but doesn't use it.

EDM will be drafting Draisaitl, which will push gags down to the 3rd line, so maybe they think Umberger would make a better 3C. IMO they should keep looking; I think they can do better than Umberger.

Gagner reminds me of Cogliano. Skilled, slightly smaller guy who started well, but the Oilers didn't develop or utilize him properly. I think the team that acquires Gagner and puts him in a role suited to his skills and surrounds him with a positive environment and veteran leadership will benefit as much (if not more) than Anaheim has from AC.

trading a 24 year old with the potential to still get better for a guy that has reached his peak and by the standards around the CDC and tort's is "old" . make no sense at all for the oilers so i could see this happening.

oilers need quality NHL defenseman.

My first thoughts are that it's a hockey trade and then I see a lot of comments saying Oilers getting ripped off. It's not that bad though, that's what everyone says the Oilers need. They certainly don't need Gagner in their scheme and while getting more youth is good at least Umberger fills a 100% need there. They also get another year in the deal and the Oilers are a terrific fit for a player like Umberger who is aging, but proving to be a dependable, tough, chip-in, and get things done kind of guy. A player of his ilk could really up his stock if the Oilers live up to potential and he has something to do with it.

I guess the question is what could Gagner get instead? Does he get a top prospect like a Gudbranson, Zadorov? I doubt it. A guy like Morrisey, Connoly, a first. Does he even get a first? Unless the return is a sure guy that can jump in the line-up really how valuable is it to max out the return as compared to making sure you get something comparable that you can use?

Archived