The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official]2014 FIFA World Cup l Germany wins 2014 World Cup l

Blueberries

What I meant was that some CFL games might not be on or near the weekend, like how they are normally scheduled. The only change I can see having to be made to any of the stadiums is the pitch. The fields would have to be made a bit wider, about 5 yrds... I guess FIFA wouldn't like the yard markings on the pitch and all ads would have to be removed. (that's the only tricky thing I can think of...) I doubt they are going to have good grass growing at 50C in qatar, so I bet they use some kind of AT, which opens the door to AT in Canada and therefore the pitch wouldn't have to be rested. Then it's mostly about scheduling, in Brazil games were in the morning or early afternoon here, that leaves time for evening games for the CFL. As for watching CFL vs. WC for me if I had to choose it would be the Riders.

There is no way BC Place can accommodate both World cup matches and CFL matches on the same day, especially with mere hours of each other. Am also not sure if FIFA would accept the idea of CFL matches being held on the same day as World Cup matches in the same stadium.

There is no way BC Place can accommodate both World cup matches and CFL matches on the same day, especially with mere hours of each other. Am also not sure if FIFA would accept the idea of CFL matches being held on the same day as World Cup matches in the same stadium.

I agree.

I don't think there's any way that Canada ever hosts a WC, but if they did, there would have to be some concessions made by the CFL.

No I meant that if there was a Sat. WC game at BC place that there could be a Monday CFL game....The evening game times would be so that there wouldn't be an over lap between the WC and CFL games on TV... I also think that the games would be around the same times they were this year unless FIFA is ok with games being played in the middle of the night in europe....

If the CFL had to make concessions I could see them playing games in Halifax, Quebec City, Saskatoon ect... markets with smaller university stadiums rather than playing down south. The biggest problem would be preseason and week 1 and maybe 2 after that it would be more about putting teams on the road who have bigger home stadiums as the WC would be past the group stage.

No I meant that if there was a Sat. WC game at BC place that there could be a Monday CFL game....The evening game times would be so that there wouldn't be an over lap between the WC and CFL games on TV... I also think that the games would be around the same times they were this year unless FIFA is ok with games being played in the middle of the night in europe....

If the CFL had to make concessions I could see them playing games in Halifax, Quebec City, Saskatoon ect... markets with smaller university stadiums rather than playing down south. The biggest problem would be preseason and week 1 and maybe 2 after that it would be more about putting teams on the road who have bigger home stadiums as the WC would be past the group stage.

There's no way FIFA would accept that crap. The world cup is deservedly the biggest tournament in the world, and they won't take shared field for an answer.

Brazil operates differently than Canada. Do they have Medical care? subsidized housings? Employment Insurance? I don't think so. Their corrupt government can afford to pay for it with the money they steal from the poor people.

yes we have BUT they are not that good compared with other nations. and the corruption is going to extreme levels...

we pay too much taxes but we don´t have the proper return...

I don´t know why Canada needs a FIFA World Cup. soccer isn´t a national sport in Canada. in Brazil soccer is popular so even with those giant unused stadiums the majority of the population enjoyed the cup...

but in Canada? what Canada will do with the brand new stadiums after the cup? create some sort of Canadian MLS? I don´t think so...

yes we have BUT they are not that good compared with other nations. and the corruption is going to extreme levels...

we pay too much taxes but we don´t have the proper return...

I don´t know why Canada needs a FIFA World Cup. soccer isn´t a national sport in Canada. in Brazil soccer is popular so even with those giant unused stadiums the majority of the population enjoyed the cup...

but in Canada? what Canada will do with the brand new stadiums after the cup? create some sort of Canadian MLS? I don´t think so...

I agree. As much as I like football, and christ knows I'd love to meet the German team (though by the time Canada would host the current roster would be long gone), but it's not something justifiable, and I see no reason to build a slew of disposable football stadiums when the demand doesn't warrant it.

Brazil is bringing back Dunga. What in the world are they thinking...

At least they didn't try to bring back CAP for a 4th spell? Or would it be 5?

But I agree, not sure how Dunga is the best they can come up with.

Archived