The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official]2014 FIFA World Cup l Germany wins 2014 World Cup l

Blueberries

I really don't want to cheer for Brazil this year. I don't like the players that came through this time, and I think as the hosts, there's so much wrong with what they did for their country here that I have to mix politics into it.

I'll be leaving my Brazil jersey in the closet this month.

I'll still sort of be cheering for the United States, and the Netherlands like I generically do, but I think my real support lies with the Germans this time around.

I really don't want to cheer for Brazil this year. I don't like the players that came through this time, and I think as the hosts, there's so much wrong with what they did for their country here that I have to mix politics into it.

I'll still sort of be cheering for the United States, and the Netherlands like I generically do, but I think my real support lies with the Germans this time around.

that´s one of the best ways to say "I like Brazil but I don´t like the Brazilian politics"

Thank you for your consideration... :)

somebody can tell me WHERE the games will be played on group stage?

2010 one sucked too.

Was complete garbage that one. If I heard it today, it would still likely piss me off.

that´s one of the best ways to say "I like Brazil but I don´t like the Brazilian politics"

Thank you for your consideration... :)

somebody can tell me WHERE the games will be played on group stage?

Yeah, that is what I'm saying. Both a knock against Brazilian politics and the dunces at FIFA with their rampant corruption, and inability to competently select a host that's properly prepared, and able to handle the event. Sinking billions into white elephant infrastructure that seems to still only make up a fraction of the total costs. If I had a flight ticket to go see this I'd be excited, but if I was a Brazilian tax payer I'd be furious.

I hope things go as well as possible for the people of Brazil here though.

Was complete garbage that one. If I heard it today, it would still likely piss me off.

Yeah, that is what I'm saying. Both a knock against Brazilian politics and the dunces at FIFA with their rampant corruption, and inability to competently select a host that's properly prepared, and able to handle the event. Sinking billions into white elephant infrastructure that seems to still only make up a fraction of the total costs. If I had a flight ticket to go see this I'd be excited, but if I was a Brazilian tax payer I'd be furious.

I hope things go as well as possible for the people of Brazil here though.

Now you can imagine how I´m feeling...

actually I´m not angry with people from other countries coming here to see the games...

for me they´re super welcome!

but this is not Canada...

so we sure have problems, tons of them, but while the tourists are here for the games we´re living here having our own routine (for example during the cup I will have to go to my dentist). so for tourists after the games they return home BUT we stay here with our brand new elephants...

I´m not happy and many Brazilians aren´t happy, so be prepared for some local protests. it´s not against the tourists but it´s against the government...

Brazilians don´t blame tourists so we´re not angry with them and it´s not their (tourists) fight. but maybe it´s time for the entire world see how messy our contry is so maybe things change after the cup...

and I´m not the only Brazilian against Neymar and others. many people are cheering for england, germany, italy. not because we really like these teams but because if Brazil lose at home people will "wake-up"...

the format was stupid. Imagine if in 2018 Russia decide host games around the country? would be hard a "domestic flight" from Moscow to Vladivostok right?

so why it would be better in Brazil? games should be hosted only in south and southeast regions, less stadiums receiving more games, less air travel, less money spent...

BUUUUTTTT.... :blink:

Dilma strikes "back"... :angry:

are you american, bassi? why would you want the United States to win? ugh. players like Donovan (i know not on the squad) and Dempsey just walk around with this attitude sometimes, and it drives me crazy. Donovan is sort of like the Crosby of the MLS, constantly crying to officials

kind of like a team of arjen robben's, just with a fraction of the skill

are you american, bassi? why would you want the United States to win? ugh. players like Donovan (i know not on the squad) and Dempsey just walk around with this attitude sometimes, and it drives me crazy. Donovan is sort of like the Crosby of the MLS, constantly crying to officials

kind of like a team of arjen robben's, just with a fraction of the skill

Not American, I just like to cheer for the team representing the same style of North American Soccer we have in Canada, since we for the life of us can't build a competitive team to supplant the powerhouses from the likes of Costa Rica, Honduras, and Trinidad and Tobago, for the third spot in qualification.

I'm not a fan of the attitude a lot of those players carry (especially this year, which is why I'm not cheering all that hard for them this time), but they play gritty, and it feels like whatever chance they realistically have at winning, they can take it that step further. Though their group of death makes the idea of them succeeding this time almost a nonstarter.

I've always been a fan of the way the Germans play, but they've never really been at the top of the list for me as there was always someone every year I'd cheer for a little harder. There's no one else this time around.

Italy - Luxembourg: 1-1... Not exactly impressive...

Belgium - Luxembourg just last week was 5-1...

Meh. A bit disappointing but Italy almost never truly tries to win games against those type of teams(from what I've noticed) and if they do, it's always by 1 or 2 anyways. I believe the highest score under Prandelli was 5-0 against Faroe Islands and that was to make up goal difference that we lost against Estonia in the fixture before.

If that friendly tells anything though, Verratti's nifty movements and creativity should help the offence, not to mention his holding ability is pretty decent and should be strengthened being paired with De Rossi and Pirlo.

Meh. A bit disappointing but Italy almost never truly tries to win games against those type of teams(from what I've noticed) and if they do, it's always by 1 or 2 anyways. I believe the highest score under Prandelli was 5-0 against Faroe Islands and that was to make up goal difference that we lost against Estonia in the fixture before.

If that friendly tells anything though, Verratti's nifty movements and creativity should help the offence, not to mention his holding ability is pretty decent and should be strengthened being paired with De Rossi and Pirlo.

Still, Italian fans have to be at least a little bit worried about recent performance, no?

Their last win was in September 2013 2-1 against Czech Republic. Since then they haven't won matches against Denmark, Armenia, Germany, Nigeria, Spain, Ireland and Luxembourg. 6 draws and 1 loss. Not exactly reassuring...

Ronaldo might not be fit for the World Cup because he is struggling with tendonitis. If he can't play, Portugal are in trouble.

Did you hear about the witch doctor in Ghana claiming he's cursed him to keep him out?

The witch doctor, whose name is Nana Kwaku Bonsam which translates as 'Devil of Wednesday', predicted Ronaldo would be forced to miss the World Cup through injury in February.

In an interview with Kumasi-based radio station Angel FM, he is reported as saying: 'I know what Cristiano Ronaldo’s injury is about, I’m working on him.

'I am very serious about it. Last week, I went around looking for four dogs and I got them to be used in manufacturing a special spirit called Kahwiri Kapam.

'I said it four months ago that I will work on Cristiano Ronaldo seriously and rule him out of the World up or at least prevent him from playing against Ghana and the best thing I can do is to keep him out though injury.

'This injury can never be cured by any medic, they can never see what is causing the injury because it is spiritual. Today, it is his knee, tomorrow it is his thigh, next day it is something else.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2648733/Cristiano-Ronaldo-injury-claims-Ghanaian-witch-doctor-Portugal-ace-struggles-fitness.html

Portugal is in trouble even with him, IMO

Bingo. People think Ronaldo makes the great. He gives them a Bette chance but the team isn't up to the level as some of the other teams. In the same type of boat as England - lots of hype and expectations but reality aren't that good. Will both have to play just A standard football to go far.

...still remember last WC...Lampard fricken scored that against Germany, so disappointing. Beautiful strike, bar down, and the just newly implemented goal line judge missed it. What retards :picard:

Would've changed the complextion of the game completely if it had counted and actually gave England a chance. Should have been a 2-2 game and from there, England could've sat back and played defensive to force it to penalties instead being down 2-1, going on the offensive and sacrificing defense. Bad memories :(

lol @ the thought of England having a chance of beating Germany on penalties.

England - Worst penalty record of any team to participate in at least 3 shootouts

Germany - 4 penalties missed since 1978

Well, you're right but you never know as crazy as that sounds. Heck, extra time could've been a surprise too...that loss was a huge stinge.

Still, Italian fans have to be at least a little bit worried about recent performance, no?

Their last win was in September 2013 2-1 against Czech Republic. Since then they haven't won matches against Denmark, Armenia, Germany, Nigeria, Spain, Ireland and Luxembourg. 6 draws and 1 loss. Not exactly reassuring...

Yes and no. As a team with their pedigree and status as one of the world's better football teams, I'd expect them to win games against the Irelands, Nigerias, and Lexumbourgs but simply put, under Prandelli(I don't want to stretch it to other past managers) the team never really takes friendlies all too seriously. From what I've seen, friendlies for Prandelli are just games to play young/uncapped players to get a better feel of the depth the national side has, and working on fine tuning parts of the overall game they play so they're prepared for competitive matches.

I'd love to see this team win more games against the perceived, "weaker" teams but with only 3 competitive defeats under Prandelli(Spain 2012 Final, Brazil Group Stage 2013, Spain Semi-Final 2013 - maybe I'm missing one?), I'd say this team should be just fine going into Brazil.

lol @ the thought of England having a chance of beating Germany on penalties.

England - Worst penalty record of any team to participate in at least 3 shootouts

Germany - 4 penalties missed since 1978

lol at the thought of, even if it did get back to 2-2, England would have stood a chance of getting to extra time, never mind penalties. The English are so deluded with regards to football, its embarrassing

Archived