The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guy Lafleur: Vanek and Patches must go

Vanek could've stepped it up a lot more with his talent and scoring ability, if that actually properly clicked in we would've seen Montreal going to the finals instead of the Rangers... Patches has been very good for the Canadiens I highly doubt that they'll get rid of him, who's going to be scoring goals for the Canadiens when Patches is gone?

Respect Lafleur as he is one of the all time greats but I just don't get this. Vanek yea maybe you won't win with a guy like him but Patches is their best forward and a top winger in the league just entering his prime. Makes no sense to me..

Pacioretty is the backbone of Montreal's offence, not a chance they trade him unless it's for the moon. But really, if Price never got injured even though Tokarski did his best to replace him, it's arguable Montreal could be in the Final instead of New York.

Like Price didn't get lit up before he was injured...

http://www.lapresse.ca/la-tribune/estrie-et-regions/201406/03/01-4772497-guy-lafleur-il-ne-faut-pas-se-contenter-dune-bonne-saison.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B13b_canadien_427188_section_POS1

Rough translation: "Guys like Max and TV, you can't keep them on your team if they're not willing to pay the price. Your team will never win with guys who disappear when they face adversity."

For those who dont know Lafleur use to play for the habs and was one of the top players in the league. Hes in the hall of fame and supports the troops

Discuss

Further proof that the "Eye Test" is bullsh*t. You do not move your two best goalscorers because they 'don't pay the price.' That's a really good way to get mediocre in a hurry.

Lafleur was a great player but he's off the mark here. I'd agree with him about Vanek, but Patches does more than just score goals, he works the penalty kill and doesn't hurt the Habs when defending.

Fortunately for the Habs, Lafleur isn't part of the management staff; and the Habs have a good GM in Bergevin.

Funny thing is Lafleur's first three years are similar type numbers to Pacioretty's first three years except Patches isn't surrounded by half a dozen hall of fame players. Neither did Pacioretty have the pedigree of Lafleur (read so good that the Montreal GM (Sam Pollock) rigged the end of the season so the Habs would get the first overall pick. No I am not saying Pacioretty is as good as Lafleur was. Yes, I am saying that Montreal would be foolish to trade their best goal scorer when he looks poised to continue to develop and most importantly for a goal starved team like the Habs, Pacioretty will score goals even with no help.

Vanek was a floater out there. Guy Lafleur comes off as a floater saying that Patches should be moved. Silly thing to say in my books. He has just shown little of what he can do. The guy has still room to grow to become even a better player. The three most important players to the Canadiens are Price, Subban and Pacioretty.

Vanek was a floater out there. Guy Lafleur comes off as a floater saying that Patches should be moved. Silly thing to say in my books. He has just shown little of what he can do. The guy has still room to grow to become even a better player. The three most important players to the Canadiens are Price, Subban and Pacioretty.

Guy was probably out of smokes and was having a nicotine fit.

Patches has one of the most affordable contracts in the league at 4.5 for another 5 years i think

and at 25 years old he still has tons of room to grow GM MB is not stupid patches will stay

Vanek on the other hand has to go he was only effective on the pp and even then he

played a soft game, he will ask for 8.5 which is not worth and im glad minny will shell out that

cap space for him.

What everyone seems to be ignoring is the play of david desharnais, he absolutely needs to be

replaced, patches needs a bigger centre to play with, gosh throughout the playoffs davids play continually

frustrated me to no end, habs need to get bigger in the centre position, either by trading or by drafting in order to take the next step

Patches has one of the most affordable contracts in the league at 4.5 for another 5 years i think

and at 25 years old he still has tons of room to grow GM MB is not stupid patches will stay

Vanek on the other hand has to go he was only effective on the pp and even then he

played a soft game, he will ask for 8.5 which is not worth and im glad minny will shell out that

cap space for him.

What everyone seems to be ignoring is the play of david desharnais, he absolutely needs to be

replaced, patches needs a bigger centre to play with, gosh throughout the playoffs davids play continually

frustrated me to no end, habs need to get bigger in the centre position, either by trading or by drafting in order to take the next step

Good post but not even minny is dumb enough to give Vanek 8.5 mil. I wouldnt even give him 6 mil for more than 4 years.

Good post but not even minny is dumb enough to give Vanek 8.5 mil. I wouldnt even give him 6 mil for more than 4 years.

thanks!

your probably right but im just going off what the islanders were "rumoured" to give vanek

before the trade deadline got started

say what you want but vanek will get his 6-8 year deal in the 6.5-7.5 mil range hopefully the canucks dont make a pitch for him or my habs arent dumb enough to retain his services

Vanek was always a rental, and one of the better ones I can remember EVER. He played very well throughout the playoffs. AV shut everything down with last change and completely stifled MTL.

Goaltending wasn't the issue with MTL. Watching the series in its entirety will lead most to believe that losing the first 2 games indicated that MTL had a hard time adjusting from playing vs. the Bruins.

MTL was still the better team IMO.

In a 7-game series, whoever wins is the better team. No arguments. The Rangers played the smarter hockey and were justly rewarded for doing so.

We got a good relationship with the Habs.. why not give them Hansen and Higgins (former Hab) for Pacioretty? :D

Terrible proposal. Why dont they give us Weaver and Eller for Kesler?

As for the thread, I agree fully about Vanek. But I thought Pacioretty played well.

Archived