The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks wont ask Alex Edler to waive NTC

AriGold

Obviously it would depend on whether it was a player who rides the left or right side how we deploy them.

Idk, Wally, I think having 6 deep this year might be the way to go. We have questions in net, there are poor F UFAs, and we don't know what we can do to improve up front rather than within. Having a steady 6 might be the plan. Corrado is still very young and raw so he hasn't forced himself into the lineup yet especially with our cap space. That may happen over the next calendar year but it hasn't yet. It might not be the tight time to make a move.

Because I don't ever advocate ranking a roster, and I'm quite confident the management group agrees, I think they'll try to give the new coach the best tools they can to start the year. In many ways it makes sense to allow the coach to dictate who doesn't fit into their system, if we're going to bank on him for multiple years. After such dramatic changes I can imagine there will be some stability in the dressing room for a bit.

Ultimately, if a player is unhappy about their being pushed down the depth chart, due to role or lack of playing time, that may be the best way to facilitate a deal, regardless of who that player is.

6 deep only works if the coach utilizes it though. Neither AV nor Torts seemed to want to take advantage when they had that depth. So to me unless the new coach is going to actually properly utilize depth it is a waste having a guy like Garrison or Bieksa or the new puck mover playing 3rd pairing minutes.

I think if Bieksa were included in a deal we could maybe get the 1st overall pick from Florida. The reality is that based on what he brings (both positive and negative) he has more trade value than he does on-ice value for the Canucks at this point.

It sounds like Linden is going to give this core yet another chance. That's really too bad because if they play like coach killers again their individual value plummets even further.

Good.

He had a rough year under a crazy coach. He'll be a staple in this franchise for many years to come. Extremely talented dman who plays physical.

If someone has to go it's Hamhuis or Garrison who don't even throw a hit.

Though I have a short leash for Eddie. If he can't pick it up this year then I'd throw in the white towel and give him up for the team offering the most. As of now excited to see what comes of him.

I'm sorry but I am just so damn sick of hearing this about Edler. Give it one more year, maybe he'll get back to what he was. I see almost no evidence of him moving in the right direction. All this talk about a stale core and needing a shakeup, but oh no! Edler gets another year to prove himself. He's part of the core, he's one of the best pieces to move. This team is not going anywhere by keeping the same personnel for yet another year. If your are hoping that somehow the Canucks make the playoffs and go on a deep run next season, then you are hoping for an anomaly, a Cinderella story

Stop coddling this guy. Stop telling him every year that's he's a premiere Dman with no recent data to support that claim. He's earning 6 million a year with a NTC. Tell him to either help the team by earning his pay cheque and playing up to the potential everyone claims he has, or help the team by accepting a trade and not wasting a spot on our blueline. I'd rather see Frankie Corrado busting his ass to stay in on the team then watch Edler make stupid decisions with the puck.

6 deep only works if the coach utilizes it though. Neither AV nor Torts seemed to want to take advantage when they had that depth. So to me unless the new coach is going to actually properly utilize depth it is a waste having a guy like Garrison or Bieksa or the new puck mover playing 3rd pairing minutes.

I think if Bieksa were included in a deal we could maybe get the 1st overall pick from Florida. The reality is that based on what he brings (both positive and negative) he has more trade value than he does on-ice value for the Canucks at this point.

It sounds like Linden is going to give this core yet another chance. That's really too bad because if they play like coach killers again their individual value plummets even further.

So let's wait until we know what the coaching staff is before we jump to any conclusions.

I can't imagine a scenario where Juice leaves. He survived Torts. Hammer too. Garrison might be the only guy willing to go, happy with his contract enough to just play anywhere after giving Vancouver a shot.

It may go the other way too. Players may boost their value over last year. With Eddie it would hard to sink lower.

This was a business statement IMHO. There maybe more changed but today wasn't the day to say so.

To Buffalo: Markstrom, Mathias, 2nd and Booth

To Van: Ehrhoff (10 % retain) and 2nd

Pair Edler w/ Ehroff and you've got Edler back in top form. It's clear that Linden and Benning don't want to rebuild but realize a change needs to be made. I don't think Benning trades Edler OR Kesler. Him and Linden like the core players we have and want to compliment them w/ faster, more skilled players.

Not impressed with Garrison. Id be interested in seein what we could get for him but I doubt he waives his Gillis key to the NTclub.

For me its a toss up between him and Booth for a buyout...but Booth was coming around near the end.

Tough call.

"Detroit has significant interest in Edler"

"We will not ask Edler to waive"

I don't get the logic. Seems counterproductive

The Penguins and Ducks apparently had 'significant' interest in Kesler at the deadline too, and look how low value the rumoured offers were for him. 'Significant' is relative, and I'm sure if someone approached Linden and Benning with a knock your socks off type deal, he'd consider it.

The Penguins and Ducks apparently had 'significant' interest in Kesler at the deadline too, and look how low value the rumoured offers were for him. 'Significant' is relative, and I'm sure if someone approached Linden and Benning with a knock your socks off type deal, he'd consider it.

I think it had more to do with timing.

No coach, high pick, new GM...

Why announce a potential move until your coaching staff has a say? It's a great way to disillusion a potential candidate.

I hope this is just Linden passing on what Benning said to him. I'm not comfortable with Linden trying to run the team without consulting Benning first. Linden is a great business guy but he should let Benning do the job he was hired to do.

With that said i don't think Linden is the type of guy to just say something related to the business of hockey without talking to Benning first.

What does Linden see in Edler we all don't? I don't get it.

His last full nhl season he had 49 pts without Erhoff, he was an all-star. He can play against the other team's top players, he was a stud two years ago, you can't afford to give up on guys that talented after a couple bad years, particularly one with tortorella. There are very few guys in the nhl who can play against the other team's best players and put up close to 50 pts. We are talking Norris trophy consideration when he is right.

To Buffalo: Markstrom, Mathias, 2nd and Booth

To Van: Ehrhoff (10 % retain) and 2nd

Pair Edler w/ Ehroff and you've got Edler back in top form. It's clear that Linden and Benning don't want to rebuild but realize a change needs to be made. I don't think Benning trades Edler OR Kesler. Him and Linden like the core players we have and want to compliment them w/ faster, more skilled players.

That gives us 5-6 d-men making upwards of 3.5-5 million dollars (cap wise, not salary). F***ing ridiculous. Considering all but one would fill the same niche.

WHY WOULD WE BUYOUT GARRISON? he still has enough value to at least fetch us a pick or a prospect

agreed. Also 33 points on an offensively challeged team that didn't practice the pp. We need his offence. When we were a winning team, we made up for the fact that we don't have a true number one d by having a bunch of dmen that got around 40 pts. It was a good strategy and I think it is on that should be revisited. Torts wasn't really about activating his d.

If the Canucks make no changes to the core - like as in the REAL actual core Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa - how can they expect fans to buy into this as anything other than an extension of the Gillis regime?

The Sedins are going nowhere. But both Kesler and Bieksa would bring back great assets to change the team in a meaningful and significant way. I know I am tired of seeing them shuffle the bottom 6 and depth D hoping it will fool us into believing this team has what it takes in its current form. It clearly doesn't.

This has Calgary Flames written all over it if they keep sticking with the same core and hope they suddenly want to play for the new coach.

I'm sorry but I am just so damn sick of hearing this about Edler. Give it one more year, maybe he'll get back to what he was. I see almost no evidence of him moving in the right direction. All this talk about a stale core and needing a shakeup, but oh no! Edler gets another year to prove himself. He's part of the core, he's one of the best pieces to move. This team is not going anywhere by keeping the same personnel for yet another year. If your are hoping that somehow the Canucks make the playoffs and go on a deep run next season, then you are hoping for an anomaly, a Cinderella story

Stop coddling this guy. Stop telling him every year that's he's a premiere Dman with no recent data to support that claim. He's earning 6 million a year with a NTC. Tell him to either help the team by earning his pay cheque and playing up to the potential everyone claims he has, or help the team by accepting a trade and not wasting a spot on our blueline. I'd rather see Frankie Corrado busting his ass to stay in on the team then watch Edler make stupid decisions with the puck.

Wow, did you even read the article??

Edler said..... “I’m at my best when I don’t think too much and just react out there and trust my instincts,” said Edler. “That’s something I have to get back to next year. There were a lot of changes this year and a lot of new things to get used to. I didn’t have the year that I should have had, but I know I’m a good player. I’m going to have to come back next year and do a better job at being better every game and being more consistent.”

The guy was one of the best in the league a few years ago, teams like Detroit see it, I'm sure Canucks management sees it... and you think he's a wasted roster spot.... he will be awesome if they work with him

I hope this is just Linden passing on what Benning said to him. I'm not comfortable with Linden trying to run the team without consulting Benning first. Linden is a great business guy but he should let Benning do the job he was hired to do.

With that said i don't think Linden is the type of guy to just say something related to the business of hockey without talking to Benning first.

I guarantee they are on the same page,

It's clear that in the division of labour between them, Trev is the P.R guy

You're going to hear a lot of stuff through Trev in the coming months that you would expect to hear from Benning, a lot of which may be regarding decisions Benning made on his own.

Don't sweat it, Trev is the face and mouth of the Franchise going forward,

As he always should have been.

Wow, did you even read the article??

Edler said..... Im at my best when I dont think too much and just react out there and trust my instincts, said Edler. Thats something I have to get back to next year. There were a lot of changes this year and a lot of new things to get used to. I didnt have the year that I should have had, but I know Im a good player. Im going to have to come back next year and do a better job at being better every game and being more consistent.

very well could have been the coach and his extreme hard on for doing all the little things right no matter how small the detail even if it means taking your focus off the part of your game that got you on the allstar team.? Having the players focus on the details and tearing into them when the one time you lose focus out of 100 it can be distracting to the game you are good at.

Instead of having them focus on every little detail he should have had them concentrate on one or two flaws in their game not try to reinvent it.

It is obvious many teams see more in elder then many of us fans do and maybe our management sees it also time will tell.

Archived