The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christian ministry quotes Adolf Hitler on billboard

Yeah, so maybe the guy was responsible for a few million deaths...but he made a good quote :rolleyes:

Screen-Shot-2014-06-03-at-2.36.41-PM.png
In News by Alex MooreJun 3, 2014
Christian ministry quotes Adolf Hitler on billboard, surprised by the response

The Christian group Life Savers Ministry (LSM) decided to do a little advertising recently at the Village Mall in Auburn, Alabama. Demonstrating both their love for children and, apparently, their intention to recruit kids into their ranks, they put up a billboard with 5 kids and a life affirming quote:

He alone, who owns the youth, owns the future.
— Adolf Hitler

They also threw one in there from the Bible for good measure, from Proverbs 22:6, but they were surprised when all the attention for the ad was dominated by the Hitler quote.

The billboard just went up on Friday, and LSM is taking it down on Tuesday afternoon due to local outrage.

The Ministry sounds genuinely dumbfounded about what they seem to feel is an ad hominem attack on an otherwise perfectly nice quote, but even the group admits that they could have chosen their ad copy more carefully.

The group said they could have used used another quote about kids by, say, Herbert Hoover.

“We are pulling the billboard and certainly never intended to cause confusion. …
Herbert Hoover would have been a far better one to quote
when he said, ‘Children are our most valuable resource,’” founder James Anderegg told the
. “We are a children’s organization and had honorable intentions and nothing less.”

Sure, Herbert Hoover! Or maybe Whitney Houston, “I believe the children are our future,” or hell, keep it classic with a little Michael Jackson: “We are the world, we are the children.” There are plenty of good options out there without resorting to Hitler. Also for what it’s worth the quote on the billboard about “owning” the youth does sound pretty creepy. Go figure that a quote from Hitler might sound a touch creepy.

The group’s website says it has “six school buses and a magnificent facility of its own where hundreds of boys and girls are brought,” which is probably all innocent enough but makes it sound like a total Hitler Youth operation when you throw a Nazi billboard into the mix.

Life Savers Ministry just learned a rookie lesson of internet virality—Hitler is a term best shouted loudly at others, not self-applied.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/222254/christian-ministry-quotes-adolph-hitler-on-billboard-surprised-by-the-response/

What is so funny about that is Hitler was an atheist.

He shacked up with the Church to consolidate power..............and then had them all put his photo in the church, and in many cases was in place of Jesus.

:frantic:

"Anyone who dares to lay hands on the highest image of the Lord commits sacrilege against the benevolent creator of this miracle and contributes to the expulsion from paradise."

"I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator."

Yup. Definitely an atheist.

What is so funny about that is Hitler was an atheist.

He shacked up with the Church to consolidate power..............and then had them all put his photo in the church, and in many cases was in place of Jesus.

:frantic:

Must be totally why he killed all those people right? :frantic:

Not too damn bright.

Whatever guy, we know you have the same (non)beliefs as Hitler.

"Anyone who dares to lay hands on the highest image of the Lord commits sacrilege against the benevolent creator of this miracle and contributes to the expulsion from paradise."

"I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator."

Yup. Definitely an atheist.

Those closest to Hitler suggest that he actually really hated religion, especially Christianity.

Ironically enough, Alan Bullock wrote (and other historians have suggested) that Hitler's beliefs were "based on the nineteenth century rationalists' certainty that the progress of science would destroy all myths and had already proved Christian doctrine to be an absurdity".

Yeah, if they hadn't attributed it to Hitler, I wouldn't have known. Still isn't the best quote to portray what they're going for though.

The mind-boggling part about it is that they knew who it was attributed to and still plastered it up there!

I dunno what all the outrage is about. Sure it's hitler but the quote was about brainwashing kids to believe what you want them to do. Is the problem that christians want to pretend that's not they do?

I dunno what all the outrage is about. Sure it's hitler but the quote was about brainwashing kids to believe what you want them to do. Is the problem that christians want to pretend that's not they do?

Media and television are the biggest brainwashing tools that exist today. I'd say that's the real problem.

Media and television are the biggest brainwashing tools that exist today. I'd say that's the real problem.

Not even remotely relevant to the discussion at hand. Total red herring.

I made an art project when I was a kid, and it had a bunch of letters to and from people with little envelopes made from the pages and Peppy La Peu as the mailman. I wasn't old enough to quite understand the impact of Hitler and the World Wars, and one of the last ones I had was a letter from Hitler saying he wasn't that bad - and of course he did some things that actually were good but that completely overlooked his attempted genocide of mullions of people.

Well, my teacher liked it because it had some good art and creativity, and kept it for years before finally giving it back a few years ago. Kinda cringe worthy now despite all the effort and good intentions I put into it.

I have the excuse I was a naive little kid at the time, don't know what the people that made that billboard have as an excuse.

Those closest to Hitler suggest that he actually really hated religion, especially Christianity.

Ironically enough, Alan Bullock wrote (and other historians have suggested) that Hitler's beliefs were "based on the nineteenth century rationalists' certainty that the progress of science would destroy all myths and had already proved Christian doctrine to be an absurdity".

There certainly was a lot of conflict with the church in his later years and his private beliefs certainly weren't conventionally Christian. However, it seems like the consensus was that he was still a theist or deist. You can be anti-religious without being an atheist,

There's also the fact that he repeatedly denigrated the Soviet Union's state atheism. He saw Bolshevism as antithetical to Nazism.

Archived